“THE BEST FISH AND CHIPS!!!!!”

Oldham's Fish Restaurant
Price range: US$7 - US$35
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 18, 2021 via mobile

We came to Oldham’s when we went to the seaside and was going to have fish and chips on the pier so glad we didn’t because we wouldn’t have had the BEST fish and chips I’ve tasted!

To start I have to mention the lovely and attentive host/ waitress that was so nice and accommodating, the chefs at the front greeted us - very welcoming overall.

The food... no words. Phenomenal, amazing! I had the cod and chips and my mum had the haddock (we ended up splitting it and sharing to see which one we preferred) the cod had a much more subtle the meatier taste, the haddock was more flakey and a tiny bit sweeter, I enjoyed the haddock more.

The decor is absolutely adorable with photos from over 50 years ago and news articles framed on the wall. If you come to Southend-on-sea please drive the 15mins from the seaside to have this amazing food.

10/10 would 100% visit again :)

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank Departure21408604654
Write a reviewReviews (402)

Reviewed July 18, 2021

Came to Southend on Sea for a day trip and saw awful reviews of other chip shops on the pier, we’re all so glad we made the trip to Oldham’s because it was absolutely incredible, they have an eat-in restaurant and the waitress is absolutely lovely. Would definitely recommend the double dipped chips

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank hh4dz
Reviewed June 15, 2021

I was born and brought up in London, so simply seeing Skate and Rock Eel (no it's not an eel, look it up!) on the menu was a big bonus in selecting this restaurant to eat in. It's a fish & chip takeaway with a seating area out back. Don't let that fool you, the restaurant filled up whist we were there and there was a queue for takeaways out on the street and that was a Tuesday night.

Yes I ordered skate & chips along with pickled onions and wallies (don't you dare call them gherkins, they aren't). This was being taken back to my childhood in east London when I was growing up. The whole meal was so good that it set me up for the rest of my stay in Southend.

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed June 6, 2021

Went on a quiet Sunday. Music in backgrond appropriate and not too loud. Good table service (from I think Lauren?). Chap behind the counter cheeful and polite. Walk through to the restaurant bit. Not very big but fine for a couple. Tables of two and four. Quick service, food cooked absolutely fine. Couldn't get Wifi working. Track and trace in force. Didn't try the loo's. Milkshakes on the small size. Take away service available. Uses Groundnut oil which is new to me. Chips met my high standard!

Would I recommend to others? Yes
Would I go again? Yes

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed June 2, 2021 via mobile

Set back about 10-15 minutes walk from the West cliff seafront We visited this lovely little fish and chip shop on our day out to the seaside. Good choice on the menu also with some midweek deals. Great service and most of all the fish and chips was lovely. Definitely will be back again

Date of visit: May 2021