“Brilliant restaurant.”

Get food delivered
Price range: US$6 - US$22
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional fresh cooked dishes of portuguese madeira island
Reviewed June 8, 2021

The food was spot on. The staff was very friendly and the service was really nice too. If you're looking for a portuguese restaurant then this one is arguably one of the best at least in South England. It is a bit pricey but very worth it.

Date of visit: June 2021
Write a reviewReviews (529)

Reviewed May 21, 2021 via mobile

Not a good restaurant if looking for gluten free Our meal was very expensive this eve for what we had tbh. Lovely staff but not good value.

Date of visit: May 2021
fatima46, Owner at O Picado, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2021

Hi there , we apreciate and value every customer comment and review.I’m sorry you feel that way after your visit , but don’t really understand what you mean with your comment as we have loads of choice of gluten free, chargrilled meats ,grilled fish, vegetable dishes , sauces without gluten etc and we have many gluten free returned customers. We thank you for your visit and review

Reviewed October 11, 2020

Such a shame that 'happyeatermostly' had a bad experience here in September. We've been eating at O Picado for many years and we always look forward to either visiting or take-away. We are also in the catering industry, a local cafe for 20 years and unfortunately its just not possible to get everything right all the time because we're not perfect. My Brother has visited O Picado twice and not been bowled over with it, but we are. October 8th was my wife's birthday so we collected and took it home and as our experiences of this restaurant have taught us the food was exceptional. I mean really really good in every respect; it was very hot, fresh and huge portions we couldn't finish (this is usual for them) and so tasty. Recently I've been getting the Madeira fish stew, it looks and tastes fantastic, rich and hearty and big chunks of fish in it. My wife loves the chicken espetada (so do I, its also delicious), so tasty and juicy and so much of it! Also the maize is lovely, we have that every time. My Son had the beef picado and loved it, hes had that several times. No cafe or restaurant will get everything right, every time and I'm not going to say O Picado is the 'best in Southend' because I haven't been to every restaurant in Southend. But this will continue to be our first choice, great food, great portions, great value for money, Oh and its very quaint inside! well done.

Date of visit: October 2020
fatima46, Owner at O Picado, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2020

Really have no words to describe how much we value and appreciate your words in this review , we thank you so much and hope and will always do our best to keep our standards and customers happy as you know but as you say we human . Hope see you soon and thank you

Reviewed September 6, 2020 via mobile

It's amazing how we feel at home, all the staff is friendly, the place is cosy..great for every occasion, cause the owner is really flexible about our needs, and always wants us to feel welcomed.
The food is AMAZING, just order randomly and you'll love it for sure!
Definitely a place to return.
Lovely evening!!!

Date of visit: September 2020
fatima46, Owner at O Picado, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2020

Thank you so much for your beautiful words and your very much appreciated and valued custom .
Look forward to see you again.

Reviewed September 4, 2020

This used to be the best restaurant in the area but has gone massively downhill. My wife had a poor experience a while ago but I didn’t believe her. We went, on my insistence, last night. Service was ok if slow in an almost empty restaurant but I was there for the food and ordered my favourites. The Flambé chorizo tasted like lighter fluid but I ate most it, almost disbelieving what I was tasting. Mushrooms were ok. Then our mains came. My beef skewer was ok but not a patch on previous visit but my wife’s octopus picaro was a joke and seemed to have been bulked out with white fish. Also the ships were undercooked. We asked about the sausages and complained and were told that they were trying a new accelerant that’s night. Had they not thought to taste it themselves? After the meal I spent a happy four hours with an upset stomach. I won’t be back. Happy birthday to me.

Date of visit: September 2020