All reviews a marco pierre white restaurant bridal suite wedding venue quiet location buffet style plenty of parking afternoon tea stayed for one night refurbishment
Reviewed June 13, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here with the mrs as we had a wedding to attend to in the area. Our room was clean but a bit dull and cramped. The woman at the reception was quite rude and patronising. I think this hotel is well overpriced, defo not worth the money we paid in my opinion! However The breakfast was really nice though and alot to choose from! In the morning me and my girlfriend wanted a bottle of water as we had alot to drink the night before, i went to the bar and they charged me 4 pound for bottle of water, i was gobsmacked! If i was going to stay in this area again im sure i could find somewhere else just as good if not better, for alot less money!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CfcMike86
Reviewed June 12, 2016

We were booked into the hotel by friends because of its location and because we had eaten many times in the restaurant when we lived locally.
We were booked into an executive room but -
The room was tiny and the double bed small.
Outside of the room was an outside space associated with one of the hotels function rooms. As the night drew on the people attending he event below us moved into the outside space and kept us awake until the early hours.
On arrival the receptionist told us that we would have to carry our bags up the stairs to our room - it was only later that we found that the hotel has a lift!!
On the positive side the breakfast was very good and the people working in the restaurant were efficient and friendly.
However there are better hotels in the area

Room Tip: Get a room far away from the function rooms
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Anthony B
Reviewed June 6, 2016

If you are looking for a bad night sleep and a disgusting, dirty, run down room then this is the place to stay and get charged a silly amount of money for the privilege! The staff find it hard to understand English which I found shocking. Maybe because I was complaining at the time and they decided not to understand me and fobbed me off by giving me the managing directors contact details to complain to in writing.

My complaints started as soon as we arrived. As we were at a wedding during the day the only time us and about 30 other guests could check in was after the wedding finished which was around 12.30 at night. These rooms were pre-booked and they knew a big part of the wedding party would be turning up around that time. Did they have the staff to cope with this volume? Nope, one lone guy running the check in desk and the bar next door. I’m not posh but for the price paid I would have expected to have been shown to our room or at least some time given to explain where our room was. This one guy didn’t have time though as he needed to deal with all the other guests turning up at the same time.

Once we found our room we were met with a bad musky smell, dirty bathroom with a spider running round the sink and the oldest bed I have ever seen. (apparently this side of the hotel was only refurbed 5 years ago???)

The problems started when trying to get the spider out the sink. I run the tap only to realise the plug was broken and there was no way of letting the water out apart from prizing the plug out with my finger nails. Anyway, we had a wash and went down to the bar for some late night drinking, or so we thought! When the lone ranger check in/ bar attendant finally got round to us and after pouring our drinks we found out they don’t take cash?? The problem I had was I only had cash so had to ask another person from our party to pay for my round of drinks and then give them the money. Where does it say in the hotel or anywhere that you can only pay with card as I would be interested to know!

Anyway, we got back to our room after an hour or so and went to sleep. Only to be woken up by a bit of wood from the cupboard falling down. This woke us up but finally got back to sleep. Then around 2.30ish the wireless phone decides to start making a beeping noise which after finally finding out where is was coming from it was searching for the base unit. I kept on resitting it in its cradle but that didn’t stop the beeping so I had to turn it off at the wall.

Unfortunately this was my sleep over and sat about for a while before going to sit in a deserted and closed bar for the rest of the stay.

When I mentioned that I was unhappy with the stay and the room to the staff in the morning, apparently I should have said something to the 1 guy that was on in the evening. Maybe I should have but what would he have done about wood falling off the cupboard and a constantly beeping phone? Moved us to another room at 3am in the morning?

The breakfast wasn’t too bad in the morning after a bad night sleep although again they knew they would have allot of people for breakfast so couldn’t understand why they kept running out of sausages, eggs etc and it taking over ten minutes for them to bring out more.

To add more insult we went into a few other people’s rooms that were staying with our party and what they received in cleanliness and room décor far exceeded what we got but for the same price? Again this was bought up to the staff when we checked out but after trying to explain this I was then asked to tell the managing director about it when I write to him. I didn’t see the point of a manager on duty if he can’t deal with complaints there and then?

If you are planning on paying any money over £60 to stay here a night then don’t. Also double check what room you are getting. I believe the nicer rooms are 1 – 20 and the rest are run down, especially room 52.

If the manager reply’s to my email I will let you all know the outcome. Even if he doesn’t I will still let you know so you can gauge what service you would expect to get.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank SimonH5078
Reviewed June 5, 2016 via mobile

Hotel is really good value. The bar is welcoming and the staff are all friendly. The rooms are presented very well and a comfy bed.
Recommend this hotel for business definitely. Havent tried the wheelers restaurant just yet although everyone I have heard leaving it seem very satisfied.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2016

Have stayed on a few occasions for business and have found all the rooms i have stayed to be clean and comfortable, Check in and out can be a little slow if the front desk computer is playing up. Good wifi signal, parking is free and food served in the dining room is very good indeed.

Stayed: May 2016