1,492 results
All reviews herb house afternoon tea angela hartnett chewton glen hydro pool forest suite spa treatments hartnett holder main restaurant tasting menu boot room courtyard bar gnocchi hunter wellies great spa generous room country house
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Regulars here and on this occasion Stayed in a Forest Suite with my husband .
Amazing massage and facial in the spa by Lisa and gorgeous food in Raw and Cured .
The spa is faultless , spotlessly clean with 1st class facilities.
The hotel has a comfy home from home feel and always made to feel welcome .
Unfortunately what really let our stay down was the very poor service in the restaurant at dinner and breakfast .
The restaurant was full so we were sat in the court yard to have our dinner .
Starters came , 30 mins later nobody came to see us ? We waited and waited... in the end grabbing the attention of a member of staff to clear out plates so we could have our main ( rib of beef ) £85.
Food was delicious but yet again service was non existent.
We sat waited with empty plates for ages until my partner had to ring reception to ask if we could order a dessert ????!
We got our own dessert menu and finally after being prompted a member of staff took our order .
It was as if we had been totally forgotten about ,we have never had such poor service given the standard of establishment and were so disappointed given the prices.
Breakfast was exactly the same !
Food fantastic but total lack of service ! I ordered tea , tea pot cake out , no cup??? I asked for cup , it didn’t arrive ?! Again me having to prompt waiter for a cup so I could have my now cold tea ! My husband asked for an expresso, he got a filter coffee ??? Had to ask twice for the expresso !!
I don’t know what is going on with the service regarding the food side but it seriously needs to be addressed as it’s letting the hotels reputation down , it’s simply not good enough.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Now I’m fully aware my review is not going to make that much difference amongst the many 5stars but I was bought this afternoon tea as a birthday gift so me and my friend went along, my expectations were high for this place and they just fell short on the day. Limewood is renound for being up there with one of the best but I just didn’t feel their service reflected this on this occasion; there was quite a long wait for tea and food to arrive and whilst I appreciate its not fast food you also don’t want to be twiddling your thumbs waiting to eat- the service was a bit slapdash server spilling tea on the napkins and table and plonking the teapot down causing further spillage and whilst this isn’t a big deal i didn’t feel these mini errors were what lime-wood pride themselves on? and I don’t feel the tables for 2 people are big enough once you have teacups teapots milk menus a plant pot amongst other things it’s a bit of a squeeze. There was however a lovely young girl with blonde hair who was efficient and knowledgeable about the food we had and we thought she deserved a 5 star rating but not sure about the rest of the staff. The food was nice but it wasn’t outstanding- we came away feeling like it was nice but weren’t wowed perhaps they were just having an off day as plenty of other good reviews, come see for yourself though and you can make your own mind up.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank hollyhampshire1
Reviewed March 26, 2018

Arrived in reception and waited whilst the 1 receptionist attended another customer .....wandered through to atrium and waited, strolled back to reception, where the 1 receptionist was still dealing with the same customers. Eventually went back to Atrium and went to the bar....where they found our booking, was shown to a small table for 2 and told someone would be with us shortly. About 15 mins later a waiter appeared and took our tea order and when the tea was brought the food order was taken. It was now 3.35 and afternoon tea had been booked for 3pm.
The sandwiches were good and the scones and cakes were excellent although the inquiry as to whether we would like more sandwiches might have been better before we had consumed the scones!
The offer of more tea was welcomed but the wait of 25 minutes for its arrival not so welcome !

There appeared to be plenty of staff in the Atrium but not so many actually doing much. The customers had to actively seek attention nothing was anticipated. Not expected in a 5 star establishment.

All in all a pleasant experience but service would have to be improved before I would go back.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed March 21, 2018

The property is very nice and had an "outside" courtyard bar which was covered in a glass roof. Drinks were a bit slow due to the trainee barman but otherwise, no complaints.
We had the 'sharing platter' which was like an Italian tasting menu. It had a really unusual range of tastes to it, starting with a meat platter from the local smokehouse, then a quirky but delicious pickled veg on humous. The main was a salt crusted Sea Bream which was also delicious. Dessert was a little disappointing - rhubarb jelly with fruit and sorbet though I am intolerant to dairy which makes desserts trickier than usual.
Overall a very pleasant meal and I would recommend the restaurant whole-heartedly.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2018

Booked private room for family Birthday celebration. Lovely setting, excellent service. Very poor food. Expected better from a menu supposedly designed by a celebrity chef Overpriced "Seasonal Set Menu" Starter, smallest piece of Mackerel I have ever seen on a piece of burnt toast and some relish. Very little skill needed. Main, Surloin of Beef. Predominant feature an oversized, overcooked Yorkshire pudding. One slab of bland fatty beef. The average pub chef could have done better

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family