All reviews great campsite underfloor heating shower block well stocked shop shop on site the pub clean facilities pub next door play area nice site new forest fresh baked bread camper van sand pit family campsite beer festival friendly campsite
Reviewed April 10, 2016 via mobile

The location is what makes this place. I had great expectations after looking up this site, great facilities and also the fab pub next door.

When we booked this place we had to pay up front and for 2 night for 2 of us in a camper van with no awning was over £70!!

We go there late on a Friday (just before 7pm) and the place was pretty empty which was surprising due to it being school holidays, and we were placed on the opposite side of the park. The pitch was on a pretty slope and we struggled to get it level as we were told to park parallel to the fence. We were OK with this though and we were ok for the 2 nights.

The toilets/showers - I had high expectations and they didn't live up to it. They did have underfloor heating which was good, but the toilets had very temperamental flushes and got stuck a lot. The showers were those irritating push button ones that lasted 15 seconds (yes I counted), which also sprayed into the little seating area and soaked everything. They also leaked down the back board where attached so it lost pressure. The facilities in paper look great but are actually poorly designed and not as clean as I would want.

We went to the pub next door for dinner which was really lovely, but it was very quiet and the barman said it was because about 90% of trade is from the campsite.
They have their own micro brewery there so it is worth a trip jut to try a homemade ale.

We would definitely go back to Red Shoot due to the location, however not anytime soon as it is very expensive for what it is. I think they need to review their prices and they would get a lot more people staying.

I will also mention we only spoke to one member of staff (the French lady - sorry I didn't see her name), but she was very friendly and helpful

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Forest1072, General Manager at Red Shoot Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2016

Hello Emily
We are sorry your visit to us did not come up to expectations.

It is not easy to know to what extent our campers want to interact with our staff as many people come as much for privacy as socialisation, but we would have certainly done our very best to help find a level position for you or address any cleanliness issues you found had you raised them with us. Thank you for your kind remarks about Sophie, she has much appreciated them.

One of the main reasons we have not been able to take as many bookings as we like over this recent holiday period is that the ground has not been firm enough. Just as it begins to dry out, it has rained heavily again turning it to mud. This is why you were put on the higher ground. As it is, many people ask for this area, but positioning is always subjective and will appeal to some and not others, at the moment, we aren’t able to choose and can only offer the drier areas.

It is common practice to pay in advance for any holiday booking and also for prices to be higher in the school holidays. We check our rates and procedures against other parks every year in our closed season to ensure we remain comparable.

Reviewed March 29, 2016

I was due to arrive at Red Shoot on Friday 25th March for a long weekend, but never arrived due to breaking down on route. When I rang to inform them of my circumstances, I found the staff to be most helpful and they moved my booking to April, which was in my opinion most generous and unexpected.
A big thank you to Red Shoot Camping Park and I look forward to my break in April.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Forest1072, General Manager at Red Shoot Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2016

Many thanks to you for taking the trouble to write your review. We look forward to welcoming you and wish you a trouble free journey to us and a happy stay!

Reviewed March 15, 2016 via mobile

Turned up at this site on a last minute getaway in our motorhome, upon arrival we were checked in swiftly (we didn't book) and shown to a pitch by a very lovely lady.
The site has great facilities, spotlessly clean shower block with underfloor heating , great views, lovely children's play area, handy shop and best of all situated behind a great pub!
All in all had a great relaxing stay there are amazing walks and cycle rides right on the doorstep so will be visiting regularly in the future

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Forest1072, Owner at Red Shoot Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2016

Thank you for our first review of the 2016 seasons! I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and will look forward to welcoming you again soon - Jaqui.

Reviewed January 8, 2016 via mobile

Great site. I have stayed at many and this one is definitely up there with the nest. Location excellent, pub excellent, toilet block excellent. There is a great walk to a small pub (the name escapes me) which seems to be in the middle of no where and certainly drives a thirst. Just be careful of the new forest ponies!!!!

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Forest1072, Owner at Red Shoot Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2016

Great review, thank you very much! I think the pub you're talking about is the High Corner, about a 2 mile walk from us and yes, it is in the middle of nowhere. Hope to see you again in 2016 - Jaqui

Reviewed November 30, 2015

Lovely camping park - the facilities were always very clean and easily reached wherever you were on the park. We were in a secluded part behind some hedges so it was very quiet. The stars were amazing at night been as it was in the middle of nowhere. However it is ideally located to get all over the New Forest and it is close to many walks and the Portugese Fire Place. There is a little shop on site where you could get coffee and fresh pastries in the morning and it stocked the essentials. The pub almost located on site was ideal too for getting out the cold and homemade food.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katyphair1
Forest1072, Manager at Red Shoot Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2015

Many thanks for reviewing your September stay with us, the autumn certainly is a wonderful time to visit the New Forest. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and very much look forward to welcoming you again next year! Jaqui.