“Average”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2018

The staff are keen and helpful but the food is mediocre .Marstonn pubs seem very variable with some a must visit and this one is conveniently located but not worth a special journey

Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

I reviewed this pub in Dec 2016 and praised the exceptional level of service we received and the quality of the food.
Oh how things have changed. We visited on a bank holiday Monday and it wasn't busy. We ordered our food and drinks and went to sit outside. The garden is lovely, but spoiled by children playing football and hitting us and our table more than once.
I went inside to get the condiments but the 2 little jugs of vinegar that were left were both empty. I asked the girl behind the bar if there was anymore and she told me to walk around the tables and see if there was any. I then asked if these ones could be filled up and her reply was that ' she didn't know! Ok, so I took that as a 'I can't be bothered' answer, and just left it at that.
Food arrived quickly. My husband had a burger that was tasteless and I had steak pie that was soggy pastry filled with chewy meat.
So all in all I think you will gather we won't be returning. I just wonder if the pubs in this area are just relying on holiday makers at the nearby campsites and thinking they won't be returning anyway. Well we have a caravan on a season pitch at one of the sites and so far the best meals we've had in this area are the ones we've cooked ourselves.

Reviewed June 5, 2018

A pub chain. The food was very average, standard pub fare and not well cooked or presented. The 2 for 1 on mains tempted us in, but it still didn't work out to be cheap. Service was a bit disinterested, so not a good experience. However, as we just wanted a quick meal on our way home, it served its purpose.

Reviewed May 31, 2018

Long queue at small bar. Slow service. Small choice of beers. My coffee was not hot, ( downed in one)
Asked for table to be cleared, had to ask again before this was done. £1.90 for two packets of crisps. Appeared popular as a eating hole though. NOT an establishment I would want to celebrate an occasion. On the side of a busy duel carriage way.

Reviewed May 31, 2018

We stayed at Oakdene Holiday Park and as The Woodman is opposite we visited here twice. It has a large garden area which our 4 year old and 21 month old loved as it has a play area and we enjoyed it as we could eat while we watched them play.

The pub has lots of 2-4-1 meals which sounds good but a burger is around £14 so at other pubs it would probably cost the same for 2 meals. There is also unlimited refills on their soft drinks which we took advantage of on a hot evening.

The staff are fairly disinterested and aren’t the best at customer service but for a good value meal in a pub which can accommodate children and dogs you won’t be disappointed.