“Child friendly pub”

Cuisines: Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

We've eaten a couple of times with grand daughter and daughter at the Greyhound. Very friendly service, high chair provided and very friendly staff. Food is a mixture of pub classics and modern British dishes. This time we all had the same dishes, scallops with minted pea purée, steak and ale pie followed by brandy snap basket with whipped cream and strawberries, very naughty. If we're at Ashridge we can drop down to Aldbury and enjoy pleasant food.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

We reserved a table in this establishment as it had very good reviews. Upon arriving we introduced ourself and mentioned the reservation. Table was not ready, no problem, we decided to have a drink at the bar and wait. I asked for orange juice for my wife and a pint of lager but whilst the bar staff was pouring the beer I noticed the glass was pretty dirty, so after receiving it I briefly hosted it against the light and there were some black spots on the inside of the glass and some foreign substance (possibly remains of food) swimming inside. I decided not to drink it, waited again for my turn and shared my observations with the staff member serving me before. She replied just “if you wish I can pour it in another glass”. She took another glass, which was even more dirty then the first one. Now I had a good opportunity to inspect it as it was empty. It was maybe rinsed but clearly it has not been cleaned. I replied “actually I would prefer if you would serve me another pint in a clean glass.”. Now another staff member at the bar informed me harshly “if you don’t like it here you can go somewhere else”. I replied “can I speak to the manager”. So the owner of the pub turned up and asked how he can help. I referred back the whole story and waited for his decision. He was not apologetic, saw the dirty glass and said “it looks fine to me” then he simply told the staff to offer me refund and told me to “go somewhere else”.
Conclusion: If you accept to eat dirty and to consume remains of food from previous customers, I can strongly recommend this pub, if however you dare to have opinion and want a clean food standard and friendly service level you better go somewhere else. We decided to drive to Berkhampstead and eat clean with the option to have an opinion. And I we had one : It was a good decision.

4  Thank maxifoox
Greyhound Inn A, Owner at The Greyhound Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2018

Dirty glass, yes
Clean glass offered, yes
Food consumed, no
Refund offered, yes
Equally rude, yes

Reviewed September 9, 2018

Stopped off at this beautiful village for lunch, real disappointment that the pond was dry as this really is a focal point for the village but understand this is under renovation. Very friendly staff at the pub and food arrived quickly, portion sizes good and lovely fresh crusty bread in the sandwiches, wine and beer prices also good.

Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

We chose this Inn because it was halfway between us. Neither couple had visited before and was pleasantly surprised at the beautiful village and the amount of customers there was for a Wednesday lunch. We sat in the conservatory and asked to move to a smaller and quiet er table. but that was no problem. My husband had the Steak and ale pie, our cousins had the Haddock and Brisket I chose the Sea Bass .we all throughly enjoyed our meals which were served by extremely polite charming young ladies. There is a delightful courtyard too. We would all recommended this pub and Inn and we will make it a place to return to when we meet up again .

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

A decent restaurant in a small country pub. There is a good number of dishes on the menu to choose from. A good pub to stop off at when cycling in the local countryside!

Date of visit: August 2018