“superb hotel and facility for golfers”

Shendish Manor Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed 27 April 2012

rooms - excellent,
food very good
golf very good
staff excellent
great value will definitely return

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
shendishmanager, General Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you for posting this review. The company have invested a vast amount of money in our golf course over the last couple of years so it’s great to hear it’s paying off.

I’m glad to hear you also found our bedrooms, food and service all of a similar standard and I look forward to welcoming you back to Shendish Manor in the near future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

A party of 19 ladies shared a most pleasant afternoon, taking tea to celebrate a successful year at work. It was lovely and enjoyed by all. The food was perfect consisting of sandwiches, scones and homemade cakes and as much tea as we could drink. The service was wonderful, very attentive and helpful, and we were not rushed at all so had plenty of time to enjoy the experience. I would certainly go back again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for posting this lovely review.

Over the last year we have become very popular with our Afternoon Tea’s and it’s continuing to grow.

I’m pleased you enjoyed all aspects of the day and I hope you will come back to visit us again.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I got married last Friday and we celebrated the occaision with our guests over at Shendish Manor. It was a beautiful venue and our room was so luxurious and comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and accomodating and we would like to thank them so much for helping our special day go so well. Special thanks also go to the girl on reception who single handedly produced tea and coffee for 17 grateful people, you were brilliant!

Ok so this is a rather gushing review, but you deserve it!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, Liz.

Its such a good motivation for the team to know they do such a good job and it is appriciated. I keep the team up-to-date with any reviews and comments from our customers.

I would like to wish you and your husband all the happiness in the future, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Shendish Manor for another celbration in the not-to-distant future.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Shendish Manor is a beautiful hotel/function venue & golf course. I booked one of the function rooms (The Dickenson Suite) in the old Manor House for my husbands 40th birthday lunch - a family event for 35 people. The venue was beautiful and the food superb (hot fork buffet).
The staff were excellent and flexible in their approach on the day, which helped us as there were a few last minute changes. Maria who organised the whole event was particularly helpful.
There was plenty of room for the children and the grounds are beautiful (although unfortunately it snowed most of the afternoon!)
We all had a lovely afternoon and enjoyed a delicious meal - I would recommend Shendish for functions and would use it as a venue again myself.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I stayed on a Saturday night, as a break from the kids. We needed a nice chilled hotel, decent food, a comfy bed and some sleep. On the whole, we were happy.

Our room (no 2) was amazing. Huge, big 4 poster, so excellently decorated with a nice big roll top bath. Could have stayed in there all day. The problem (and it was a big one) was that the bed was soooo uncomfortable. It was very hard. I like a firm mattress but this was like sleeping on a marble slab. We were too tired to care the night we stayed but it did leave us a bit achey so we'd probably think again before returning.

Also, the in-room TV was a bit rubbish. The screen was v small and the set was old. Arguably you don't go away for the night to watch telly but we wanted to veg. It was hard to do on this TV.

The food was good and the chef was clearly making the effort which goes a long way.

All in all a nice evening away!

• Stayed: March 2012
shendishmanager, Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

I am pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant stay with us, I have fed back your comments to my team and will act upon one or two of the shortcomings, and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stay fairly often on business and am usually given a bland, sometimes noisy room in the newer part of the building. Occasionally I've been lucky enough to get a room in the older part of the hotel and those, as other reviewers have said, are large, spacious, and full of character........... so make sure you specify where you want to stay!
Food in the restaurant (breakfast and dinner) is really very good, but service can be variable. Most of the staff are pleasant, personable and helpful but sometimes lack of management lets the place down.
Even though I stay there about 30 times a year on business, would I take my wife there for dinner, b &b ?
Yes, I would, so I guess it's OK!

Room Tip: Ask for the "older part" of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MoscowMaleEngland
shendishmanager, Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Thank you for your constructive comments.

I am pleased you highly rate our food in the Restaurant and I hope you have seen the ongoing improvements we have made, especially within the last 10 months since we employed our Head Chef; Peter Knight and his team of experienced chefs. Thank you for your kind comments.
I have passed your feedback onto our Duty Manager team and internal training is always ongoing to improve our service levels. I hope you will start to see improvements in this area.

If there is anything I can do to ensure your future stays with us are more pleasant, please do not hesitate to get in contact with me directly at the hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2012

WOW!!! where to start....the only negative comment I have is you could easily miss the turn off the road so once you do get off the main road and drive up to the entrance and what a beautiful building. The car park is in front of you to both the right and left of the entrance of the hotel so no problem with parking. A small but welcoming reception awaits you. The reception staff were very friendly and attentive. We hadn't booked a table and chose to eat in the Orangery. The menu was to say the least fantastic. My friend had Fish & Chips (being a Friday, why not) and I went for the Pasta. This was chosen from the set lunch menu rather than the A' La Carte, and had no regrets. The portions were very good, the quality of the food even better. Can't even fault the service, the waitress was attentive but not in your face. We opted for the 2 courses with a bottle of wine and coffee to finish, and all this for under £50.00 !! Although the Orangery was quiet (not many guests) we were not rushed through our lunch, in fact we were there for a couple of hours, and I would have to say "what a shame" because if you haven't eaten here yet you have most definately missed out. You don't have to be a guest to eat in this fabulous place, and will I go again ?? you bet, course I will. I think I will make sure I go in the spring / summer time so I can experience the outside and treat myself and friends to Afternoon Tea . The only thing I will say is "don't wait for a special occasion".......5* ALL THE WAY service, food, ambience and on and on

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
shendishmanager, Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Thank you so much for this wonderful review.

We have a team of chefs working for us who have all come from a background in 5* hotels and they are doing a fantastic job in implementing this standard to the hotel. I am very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable lunch with us. I know Peter Knight; our Head Chef will be delighted with these comments, thank you.

We train our team on the floor to be attentive whilst obtrusive so our guests can sit back and relax and I’m pleased this is what you experienced.

On a separate note, yes the hotel is hidden off the main road, we have plans in place to have a road sign erected up at the bottom of the driveway in the near future.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back very soon to what I hope will out do your last visit.

Kind regards,

10.3 km away
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!