“Good Stay”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“Good Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Stayed here over the Christmas 2011 period and thoroughly enjoyed it. Check in was smooth and the room allocated was clean and well maintained with a lovely four poster bed. The room overlooked the main car park, but there was no noise as the hotel was nowhere near full capacity.

The spa element of the hotel was not fully tested, however, we did make use of the swimming pool, sauna and hot tub.

All of the staff were very helpful and the Christmas themed evening meal and the full English breakfast went down very well indeed.

Overall, this was a pleasant getaway and I would recommend this Hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing break in pleasant surroundings.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
TAE467 – Thanks for reviewing your visit. I am pleased to read that you found your bedroom to be clean and comfortable, and that you enjoined both dinner and breakfast. Thanks also for your comment regarding my colleagues.
I appreciate your recommendation and hope that you will return soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

We decided to take an impromptu break with our 4 year old daughter, she (being 4) wanted to go to the Zoo so we opted for Whipsnade as you can drive around. We found Pendley Manor on the Whipsnade Zoo website and called to book the tickets and one nights stay; this cost £115 for the 3 tickets, 1 nights accommodation and breakfast which we thought was very reasonable as tickets alone to the zoo would be £48. We had a fab time at the zoo and headed to the hotel, when we got there we were advised that the pool and spa facilities were 'out of use' at that time as there had been a problem that was being fixed, we wanted some lunch anyway so were not too fussed at this time and were assured they should be available to use soon. Lunch was lovely, well presented and very good food. By 5.30pm and after chasing a few times the pool was finally ready (we were getting slightly concerned as part of the reason we went to this hotel was for the spa facilities) but the staff were very helpful and did call us once we could use the pool which was really lovely, clean facilities and our daughter loved it. Dinner was superb, very nice setting, friendly staff and honestly some of the nicest food I have tried. We all had a good night sleep, there was some banging going on at 8am - some more maintenance work I suspect which was ok for us as we were up but I can imagine this would not have been acceptable to all guests at this time in the morning but it may well have been emergency work? Breakfast was buffet and was freshly cooked, great selection and again very friendly staff. Check out was not until midday which meant we got another swim in. All in all a great hotel, although a 4 star hotel and very beautiful it catered to 'families' also, it must have been the manager we saw wandering around a lot and he kindly gave our daughter some chocolate gifts. The added touches, attention to detail, great food and friendly staff means we would certainly visit again and are looking for that excuse already. Thanks so much!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
JJB01. Thank you for taking the time out to review your stay with us. Our “Whipsnade package” is very popular, I am glad that you found it to be good value and that you and your family enjoyed both the zoo and your stay with us.
I’m sorry there was a problem with the pool when you arrived and am pleased that we were able to resolve that so that our guests were able to use the facility safely without undue delay.
It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your meal experiences with us throughout your stay and of course that my colleagues were friendly and accommodating. I am sorry that your heard some “banging” – we would not normally start any noisy works until after 9am – nonetheless I’m glad you all had a good night’s sleep.
I hope your young daughter enjoyed her chocolate as much as she did the zoo and the pool.
Thanks for your kind comments – we look forward to welcoming you back.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

We had our family Boxing Day lunch at Pendley Manor and were greased at the top of the long country drive by beautiful peacocks! Our food was exquisite and the chef was extremely kind and was happy to offer us and alternative starter to the set menu as some of our party were fussy eaters. Perfect sized portions and Presentation and taste really was first class. Staff also were exceptional, very friendly and helpful and would clearly bend over backwards to ensure we were satisfied with our experience there. The house itself wasn't as grand as I had expected although it was set in beautiful grounds together with an array of peacocks which are fascinating. We did not use the accommodation or spa (and as such have marked rooms as average but have no idea as to quality and i could not finish review without rating them) but would highly recommend dining there!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Sass58
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2011
Sass58 Thank you for taking the time to review your family luncheon on Boxing Day.
Your kind comments regarding the meal are much appreciated. I am pleased that Chef was able to accommodate your request for alternative starters, though for the benefit of future guests it is worth noting that he may not always be able to do so at short notice and would suggest that should there be any special request that it is arranged in advance so as to avoid any possible disappointment.
Thank you also for your recognition my colleagues, as you say it is their friendly and helpful approach that makes such a difference in delivering what I hope would be an enjoyable visit to our guests.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

Its not often you come across a place like Pendley Manor. I booked this hotel as a surprise for my boyfriend and the staff were unbelievably helpful and helped me plan the whole trip (thank you especially to Krystina!). We were given a beautiful four poster room with a fireplace so I could hang our Christmas stockings...the staff even helped me sneak in his presents whilst we went for a swim! The whole hotel is stunning and the people are the success here. The food was mouthwatering - Christmas menu stunning! - and the bar, gardens, everything was just perfect. I had no clue what to expect, but hand on heart, I so wish we could've stayed for longer...if not just for the Christmas Eve lunch- it smelt fantastic! Thank you so much to all involved, especially to the wonderful chap on front desk when we arrived who helped me with the surprise!, Lauren at dinner and Krystina in bookings. I wish you all a wonderful Christmas, thank you for making ours so perfect.

• Stayed December 2011
Globesoprano – Thank you for your review, I am pleased to read that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your “surprise” stay with us. It is kind of you to comment so favourably about your room and our hotel in general. Chef and the restaurant team are grateful for your feedback and pleased that you enjoyed your meal experiences. As ever it is a delight to hear that my colleagues went out of their way to make your stay special.
Thank you for choosing Pendley Manor – I am delighted that we managed to exceed your expectations, and hope to see you again in 2012 – Happy New Year.
Bridport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

on arrival we were greeted by a porter who collected our bags from the car and took them into reception. we checked in and were shown to our room. our room was very comfortable and clean, the bed and pillows were of very good quality and the linen was crisp and white. throughout our stay the staff were pleasant, friendly and helpfull. breakfast was delicious and was buffett style with lots of choice,and more choice was on offer from the cooked to order menu.
the lounge and bar areas were comfortably furnished with good veiws of the garden, where peacocks were roaming.
I only wish I could have stayed longer than the 2 nights that we had booked.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harveyhotelhound
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Harveyhotelhound . Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. It’s encouraging to read your remarks concerning your room, the Hotel’s public areas, and grounds.
Thank you also for your kind remarks concerning my colleagues, it is very motivating for us all to know that our ethos of delivering a pleasant, friendly and helpful service is appreciated by our guests.
I know you stayed two nights on this occasion – you’re very welcome to come back. We hope you will- soon
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Stayed at Pendly Manor 25/11/11 for 2 nights. The room was lovely and big but maybe a bit old fashioned but that was in keeping with the hotel. We had dinner the first night from the A'la carte menu and i must say it was some of the best food we have ever had. The staff are really friendly. we also tried out room service and the food was excellant. Nice spa and i had a great massage. I would highly recommend

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Barnetbuffy – Thank you. So glad that you enjoyed your visit, I’m particularly pleased to read your observation’s regarding your meal experiences and of your massage. As ever your kind remarks regarding my “friendly” colleagues are appreciated by all.
Thank you – hope to see you again soon.
County Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend during a friend's 40th birthday party nearby - the same weekend as an RAF ball!! Our room was comfortable but in need of serious updating - upon opening the cupboard, a 1980s tv lurched forward and nearly knocked over the trouser press! There is no mini bar/fridge. Nevertheless, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our party was very professionally dealt with by Lana in the Shakespeare bar on the Saturday night, in the face of adversity (the RAF crowd on the Saturday night and a grumpy ignorant regular guest on the sunday night). Our reservation went without a hitch, Krisztina was friendly and efficient The breakfast was good with attentive staff, the pool and jacuzzi were immaculate. A special mention for Carolina too from the restaurant who was welcoming and lively, a credit to the establishment.
The Peacock room enticed us newspaper in hand to linger over cups of coffee and admire the peacocks.

Room Tip: Other reviewers have suggested asking for updated rooms - I wasnt aware of this and would ask for on...