All reviews sea view honeymoon suite executive room pot roast a bit tired lounge area wedding reception friendly hotel course meal nothing too much trouble waiting staff great weekend car park sea front stayed here for one night breakfast was excellent enjoyable stay
Reviewed September 22, 2017

Nice hotel on the front at Cliftonville
Room was clean, neat and tidy and had a good size bathroom
All the staff there were very friendly and welcoming which makes a difference
Only downside is that the walk to Margate beach which is about 15 minutes away takes you through a bit of a run down area which doesn't do Margate any credit

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2017

Came here with 32 people on a coach seniors holiday, ages raged from 52 upto 94 years. 4 of them were not good going up the steep stairs at the front so went round the back where there was a slope entrance. The staff were excellent in helping with luggage and any questions or needs they had. I was in room 15 which was a single. It was just right for my needs. Yes the decor was a little dated and just minor things in bathroom. Tea and coffee making facilities in room was great after a day out with the group. Breakfast was a buffet which was just right and if running out or wanting something different the staff were happy to help. Ordering what wanted for evening meal was good (if you could remember what you ordered on a table of 10). The evening meals, 3 courses, deserve the 5 stars. Evening entertainment was put on for us 3 evenings which we all enjoyed. Well one person really enjoyed her dance with a staff member. A big thank you the the one who introduced me to a new drink too, chambord, have got myself a small bottle and enjoying it. The seniors are saying it was one of the best hotels they have stayed at.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Abbie B, Owner at Smiths Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2017

We're so pleased you enjoyed yourselves - Scott, Justin,Billie and Russell all say how much they enjoyed your company!
And if you're sipping the Chambourd now, cheers!

Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

Really struggled with how to review.
3 stars is probably generous

Part of the hotel is done up and used for wedding functions. I was in the 70s not done up bit.

My room was a single en suite. My room had very 70s decor. A walk in hall bit where you could hang clothes, then the bathroom & bedroom were each off that.

The bedroom was like a box. Bedding was clean but wall paper peeling off walls, no attention to detail in room. Bed shoved up to window making it very difficult to open and close curtains, no socket points to charge phone etc by bedside table.

It did have a tv & tea & coffee making facilities.

Bathroom - I thought the shower would be rubbish but it was surprisingly good. Bathroom cleanish but had mildew up corners of bath & shower curtain stained, my towels were also stained. Also bath leaked not sure if that was due to shower curtain not being good or if there was an actual leak.

Staff friendly, breakfast good. So I think worth booking if you just want somewhere to crash but there is no luxury. Not that cheap as £65 per night for a single. Other places in Margate appear better value for money.

Area not great. I got approached several times In the street when I was on my own. Don't book this as lone female & then go out in the area at night.

Lift old and very slow

Shame so dated would not stay again

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Abbie B, Owner at Smiths Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2017

Thanks for a very fair review of your experience at Smiths Court.From the photos you've submitted of the lift, the corridor and your room, we can agree that it has not been redecorated for a considerable period.

We took over the hotel from my parents some six years ago. In that time we've completely refurbished bedrooms and bathrooms in about half the hotel. We were 44 rooms, we're now 38, which means we've been taking the smaller single rooms and turning them into luxury bathrooms for the adjacent double rooms, and that's in plan for the room you occupied, which is why it's not been redecorated yet.
At the same time, we've refurbished the lounge and redecorated what was an already stunning Orangery restaurant. And we've built up an enviable function and wedding trade.
But it all takes time, and there's just me, Tony my husband and our 3 year old!
We really hope you'll give us another try when you next come to Margate. It's a really on-trend resort, and we very much want to contribute to its success.

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

We decided to visit my sistet and her husband in cliftonville so had to book at short notice the hotel was brilliant very quick check in the rooms were very well furnished very clean our breakfast the next morning was really good staff were very friendly and made you feel at ease

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review. We've had an amazing summer, and are getting ready for the next redecorating phase. Comments like yours make us realise it is all worthwhile, and we're getting there!

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

This hotel chosen as a base for visits to the surrounding areas of Broadstairs,Ramsgate and Canterbury...which were all well worth a visit!
Assistance given with the baggage for all and tea and coffee provided in the lobby which is seemingly refurbished.
Only 1 lift which was very slow and could only hold 4 people at a time so for those unable to use the stairs there could be quite a wait.
The hotel has a bar,function room and a lot of free parking out front as its 15 minutes walk outside of Margate.
The room doors need immediate replacement but inside the room was pleasantly airy and bright...the bathroom was big with a really nice walk-in shower and the tea and coffee was replenished daily.
The choice of food offered for dinner was good but unfortunately the service left a little to be desired.
The staff need a more professional attitude.
The breakfast was buffet style and was difficult to keep hot so order directly with the waiting staff.
The laundry system at this family run hotel means that there can be a wait to get clean towels as they are washing and drying them as they go along but they were slightly stained from time to time and the bedsheets weren't changed for the duration of our stay which was disappointing!
A pleasant location if you could get a seafront room and if the points mentioned were improved upon.

Trip type: Travelled with family