“Bland food ”

The Italian Cottage
Ranked #21 of 211 Restaurants in Chorley
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: This can be found and reviewed on sugar-vine
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

My partner and I was in last night, we ordered from the 2 course menu. I had the pate which was nice, also order the chicken and mushroom dish. So did my partner, we was very disappointed it was bland we both couldn't put are finger on what was missing, the staff and the restaurant was lovely it was our 1st time dining here.

Italiancottage, Manager at The Italian Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Hi, sorry to hear you found your chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce bland, in future if you are not happy please let us know as we check back on your meal. We check back on all tables whilst eating to make sure everything is ok so if there are any problems we can correct them straight away as we don't want any customer disappointed.
Many thanks

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Whilst being out Sunday afternoon in Chorley felt peckish and decided to try here as we've never been before. With it being bank holiday Sunday and just after 5pm we were unsure if it would be busy or if they could fit us in. We enquired and were told the table was reserved for 6.30pm so if we could be done in an hour 20 mins we could have the table, which is plenty of time for us.

We were shown to our table and asked if we had visited before, which we hadn't so the waitress informed where the Specials boards were, passed us the main menu, early bird specials and drinks/cocktail menus. There were also additional choices on the early bird menu so we looked over the extensive food choices. Our drinks order was taken then we decided on the 2 course early bird option of garlic mushrooms and pate followed by two pasta dishes. I don't eat cheese but the waitress said that was fine and I could have the garlic mushrooms without mozzarella and as there is parmesan in the pasta sauce they would leave it out, which was reassuring to know.

The starters both were well presented, the pate came on a wooden block with the pate in a glass jar, slices of toast and pot of chutney, it looked amazing and the stuffed garlic mushroom were in a bowl which was hot and kept them warm whilst eating.

The penne mains were a good portion size and again were red hot, my white wine sauce as it had no parmesan in was a little of the watery side and a little bland so I added black pepper for a little flavour, there was plenty of bacon but would of been nice to have a few more slices of mushrooms and the strips of chicken were fine but seemed a little sparse, I did manage to eat it all :-) My boyfriend said the meatballs and chicken which were tasty but for his taste buds there was too much chilli and the bolognase sauce wasn't not tomatey enough.

The restaurant is cosy and the tables are quite close together downstairs but there is also an upstairs eating area too.

The waitresses are very attentive and know their stuff, even though we were clock watching as we knew the table was required by a certain time we we not rushed. There was a small issue when we asked for the bill and we had been charged for 3 courses when we only had the 2 course option so I mentioned this and the waitress apologised and went away and amended it correctly. We did have to wait quite a while to pay at the till but it was starting to get busy at this point so getting food out is the priority which is right. Overall, we turned up unbooked, were fit in, had excellent service and value for the money so would probably come again mid-week and maybe try something different of the specials board.

1  Thank Jo-Anne E

Hi, thank you for your review I'm glad you enjoyed your visit & will be returning.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We went on a whim, seated at a nice table without a reservation. Chose the 3 course meal for £14 which I couldn't fault. Every course presented beautifully. A nice tall bottle of Italian pino grigio blush complemented the meal. So very nice. All that was missing was that wonderful smell of Italian garlic when you walk through the door :)

1  Thank pointsslave
Italiancottage, Manager at The Italian Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Hi, thank you for your review, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your recent visit & look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

We ate during the " happy hour " on a very busy Saturday , as always the service and food was superb.....and as far as I could see the grammer on the specials board was fine ( relating to a ridiculous comment from a previous reviewer )....see you again.

1  Thank bunny313131
Italiancottage, Manager at The Italian Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Hi, thank you for your very kind review & we are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Mark.
(pleased the specials boards where correct )

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Firstly the food was nice and the menu was extensive however our waiter was the rudest man we have ever encountered and is clearly in the wrong job! When asked about the thickness of the sirloin steak, he gave my friend a sarcastic response which left her embarrassed. When I enquired what the difference was between the goats cheese option on the specials board versus the one on the menu (it being £2 more expensive)I expected to be informed about a dressing or it coming with salad etc, instead he said "I don't know, just read it". I informed him that they were almost identical in their description (albeit with numerous apostrophe errors), that was why I had asked, he replied with "I didn't know this was going to be an English lesson". To say he was rude and unhelpful was an understatement. We didn't complain at the time, even when he knocked my glass of water into another one without apologising because I think we were just happy to leave.

1  Thank Sunflower500
Italiancottage, Manager at The Italian Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Hi,I'm sorry but I am surprised you of all people say you found me rude as when I came to take your order I was called a "simpleton" because apparently the special boards that I had written hadn't got the correct punctuation/apostrophes! You then went on to inform me you are an English teacher & how stupid I am not knowing better. This I thought was very rude & really upset me. I did say jokingly about the English lesson as how else could I deal with being called stupid but never did I say or would I say read it yourself.The special board says Goats cheese on a roasted vegetable salad with balsamic reduction (£7.95) & the Menu says Goats cheese on toasted brioche (£6.95) I explained the difference between them both & I used my fingers to show the thickness of the steak. I apologise if you say I knocked a glass of water into another one I was unaware of this & you say you couldn't wait to leave but where in fact the last table to leave so this also surprises me. On a positive note I am pleased you enjoyed your food.