“Disappointed ”

The Italian Cottage
Ranked #21 of 212 Restaurants in Chorley
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: This can be found and reviewed on sugar-vine
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Usually enjoy meals here but on the last two occasions we visited we have been disappointed... whilst the staff are lovely, friendly and can't do enough the food was very greasy... italian grill was swimming in it although from where we were sat it looked like the front of house and waiting staff enjoyed the leftovers!

Italiancottage, Manager at The Italian Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Hi, we are sorry to hear you where disappointed with your meal, some of the meats on the Italian grill are coated with garlic butter & pork belly is a very fatty meat so I can only apologise if it wasn't to your taste, we always check back on every table to make sure everything is ok with your meals. This is so if you have any issues we can address these & nobody leaves disappointed.
We provide all staff with a meal free of charge so I can assure you they do not need to eat customer leftovers, they take this home or eat around the corner away from customers in the washing up area so I can only apologise if you saw them eating their staff dinner & will look into finding somewhere else for them to eat. I am happy to hear you received good service & do hope you try us again in the future.
Many thanks

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Came here on August bank holiday Sunday with family we hadn’t booked so wasn’t even sure we would get in however we did.
The food as always was amazing we opted for the 3 courses for £13.95 my personal choice was the black pudding and the chicken dish (not bland at all) as the previous reviewer says and as always the service is 5*

Look forward to seeing you all again and maybe trying something off your gin menu

Italiancottage, Manager at The Italian Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Hi, thanks for your great review, we are very happy to hear you enjoyed your visit & enjoyed your meal & look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

My partner and I was in last night, we ordered from the 2 course menu. I had the pate which was nice, also order the chicken and mushroom dish. So did my partner, we was very disappointed it was bland we both couldn't put are finger on what was missing, the staff and the restaurant was lovely it was our 1st time dining here.

Italiancottage, Manager at The Italian Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Hi, sorry to hear you found your chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce bland, in future if you are not happy please let us know as we check back on your meal. We check back on all tables whilst eating to make sure everything is ok so if there are any problems we can correct them straight away as we don't want any customer disappointed.
Many thanks

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Whilst being out Sunday afternoon in Chorley felt peckish and decided to try here as we've never been before. With it being bank holiday Sunday and just after 5pm we were unsure if it would be busy or if they could fit us in. We enquired and were told the table was reserved for 6.30pm so if we could be done in an hour 20 mins we could have the table, which is plenty of time for us.

We were shown to our table and asked if we had visited before, which we hadn't so the waitress informed where the Specials boards were, passed us the main menu, early bird specials and drinks/cocktail menus. There were also additional choices on the early bird menu so we looked over the extensive food choices. Our drinks order was taken then we decided on the 2 course early bird option of garlic mushrooms and pate followed by two pasta dishes. I don't eat cheese but the waitress said that was fine and I could have the garlic mushrooms without mozzarella and as there is parmesan in the pasta sauce they would leave it out, which was reassuring to know.

The starters both were well presented, the pate came on a wooden block with the pate in a glass jar, slices of toast and pot of chutney, it looked amazing and the stuffed garlic mushroom were in a bowl which was hot and kept them warm whilst eating.

The penne mains were a good portion size and again were red hot, my white wine sauce as it had no parmesan in was a little of the watery side and a little bland so I added black pepper for a little flavour, there was plenty of bacon but would of been nice to have a few more slices of mushrooms and the strips of chicken were fine but seemed a little sparse, I did manage to eat it all :-) My boyfriend said the meatballs and chicken which were tasty but for his taste buds there was too much chilli and the bolognase sauce wasn't not tomatey enough.

The restaurant is cosy and the tables are quite close together downstairs but there is also an upstairs eating area too.

The waitresses are very attentive and know their stuff, even though we were clock watching as we knew the table was required by a certain time we we not rushed. There was a small issue when we asked for the bill and we had been charged for 3 courses when we only had the 2 course option so I mentioned this and the waitress apologised and went away and amended it correctly. We did have to wait quite a while to pay at the till but it was starting to get busy at this point so getting food out is the priority which is right. Overall, we turned up unbooked, were fit in, had excellent service and value for the money so would probably come again mid-week and maybe try something different of the specials board.

1  Thank Jo-Anne E

Hi, thank you for your review I'm glad you enjoyed your visit & will be returning.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We went on a whim, seated at a nice table without a reservation. Chose the 3 course meal for £14 which I couldn't fault. Every course presented beautifully. A nice tall bottle of Italian pino grigio blush complemented the meal. So very nice. All that was missing was that wonderful smell of Italian garlic when you walk through the door :)

1  Thank pointsslave
Italiancottage, Manager at The Italian Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Hi, thank you for your review, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your recent visit & look forward to welcoming you again.