All reviews afternoon tea gold room in great condition soup leisure facilities my mum dance floor evening meal couldn't fault food was lovely great night christmas party excellent value for money leisure club rounds oliver venue
Reviewed December 31, 2016

Stayed here with my wife and young son for a rest after Christmas. Combined a bit of shopping for my wife at Trafford and a round of golf for us boys. Lovely big room (4) ,large flatscreen and tea making facility. The food was excellent with friendly and helpful staff.
Leisure facility with sauna, steam room and gym was spacious and clean.
Its not the most modern hotel but it has an old worldly golf club ambiance that most people I suspect would enjoy.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank agholt
ShawHill, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Hill Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2017

Many thanks for your recent review of your visit to Shaw Hill.
I am delighted to read you had such an enjoyable visit and that you enjoyed all the facilities that Shaw Hill offer.
I will pass on your lovely comments to all the team and we look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Management Team

Reviewed December 21, 2016

The house itself is beautiful and the golf course looks great (despite being an avid golfer I didn't get the chance to play). However "Superior" rooms are no better equipped that a Travel Lodge (medium size room, instant tea/coffee and a kettle). Our bathroom was larger than average but again standard shower over bath etc.

Plenty of room for a mini bar and nespresso machine but sadly they are missing.

Someone else's food (crisp/nuts remnants) on our carpet on arrival in plain sight

View from bedroom and bathroom of the hotel's office/brick wall.

On both evenings of our stay the restaurant was unavailable due to christmas functions. Would've liked to have known about this before we arrived so we could make alternative arrangements. Bar snacks are OK but the arm chairs and small tables in amongst other bar revellers does not make for a relaxed dining experience.

There are cheaper and better equipped alternatives nearby. Only stay if you want to play golf!

Booked through booking.com who declined to uphold my complaint about the view and the cost vs room standard as I had said our stay was OK during checkout - despite telling booking.com about our disappointment with their claims about the Superior rooms 30 min after checkin.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2016 via mobile

Came here in December for our works Christmas Do the venue was lovely, drinks were a little bit on the expensive side the entertainment was great staff was nice food was excellent could not fault it. I had chose to have pate for starters, turkey for main and a baileys slice for dessert it was absolutely delicious.The food arrived on our table in a timely manner and the potatoes (roasted and new potatoes) were in separate dishes to serve yourself as well as the veg, there was enough for everyone and some left over and the meal was still hot on arrival and cooked to perfection. The only thing I will say is that there was not enough room on the table for all the cutlery glasses plates etc and when eating there was not a lot of space between each other so I felt like I was packed in which made it uncomfortable when trying to eat. The dance floor could of done with being a bit bigger. Overall I really enjoyed the night and would come back again.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa792014
ShawHill, Guest Relations Manager at Shaw Hill Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2016

Many thanks for your recent review of your visit to Shaw Hill.
I am delighted to read you had such an enjoyable visit and that you enjoyed your Christmas Party.

I will pass on your lovely comments to all the team and also take on board your comments for future Christmas events

We look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Management Team

Reviewed December 14, 2016

We called in to get a bar snack in a pleasant quiet location whilst we discussed funeral arrangements.
When by bacon and egg bap arrived I fortunately used a knife and fork to eat it. This meant that, thankfully, before I ate anything I spotted the blue mould spores on the base of the bap. Whilst being absolutely disgusting the Environmental Health Officer will be asked to monitor the poor standards here.
My wife ordered a tuna wrap. The salad was tired and the tuna unappetising.
No draught real ales at the bar, not even a bottled version.
Great location.
Pleasant staff.
Just.....don't eat anything!!!

Room Tip: Thankfully we didn't stay.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John E
ShawHill, Public Relations Manager at Shaw Hill Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2016

Many thanks for your review regarding your recent visit,
I am obviously disappointed to read your feedback and I am very sorry that you had a less than enjoyable visit to us.
I can only apologise as I am very surprised as fresh bread is delivered every day and i will certainly be looking into this with our suppliers.
We have recently just had an inspection and been awarded with 5 star rating on food hygiene, however we were pleased you bought it to our attention in which I believe that you were fully compensated by a member of our team.

If you would like to discuss your feedback in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me us on info@shaw-hill.co.uk or 01257 269221

Carol

Reviewed December 12, 2016 via mobile

My friend and I came here on Saturday the 10th December as it was her birthday and we also wanted to hook up before Christmas. To our delight we managed to get tickets .The venue is beautiful and was dressed delightful, the food was amazing and the entertainment was mind blowing. A few things that in my opinion could have been improved was the service of food as we got served our main meals and 10 minutes later the vegetables came, so then the food was cold , but they took food back and when it came all back out together it was lovely and hot and very well cooked. I thought that the dance floor was to small, I think this was due to tables being on the dance to get as many parties dined. Thought it would have been better to have Stephen on for longer and a late bar. All in all was a fantastic night and was worth every penny. They haven't been doing party nights for very long as I think have taken them on with the pines closing. I do hope my little points where constructive slight criticism as wish all the best of luck..Many thanks & have a lovely Christmas.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank lisahollymay

Many thanks for your recent review of your visit to Shaw Hill.

We look forward to you visiting us again soon.