“Very good but not great”
Review of Shireburn Arms

Shireburn Arms
Ranked #35 of 148 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: View, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Got a good deal on the internet £58 for two including breakfast. Bedroom was nicely decorated and large. A bit noisy as it was close to the road but comfy bed and obviously good value.

Thing to note is that it looks like there is a restaurant and we booked a table on our arrival. When it came time to be seated we were shown back to the bar area and not the nice dining area overlooking the countryside at the rear. We decided to wait for a table there which is what we thought we had booked. Food was really good. However, they were clearly under-staffed. When it came to ordering both myself and my wife’s choices were off the menu, would have been good if we had been told earlier. The receptionist who greeted us on arrival was taking orders, answering the phone, changing tables, serving - never seen someone appear in so many places at once. Heaven forbid if she would have phoned in sick the whole place would have ground to a halt. It didn’t lead to a particularly relaxing dining experience. At one point I got my own drinks from the bar just to give the poor girl one less thing to do. I think the point is that this is very much a good bar meals type of place with seating in different locations but not a restaurant. The menu was the same wherever you sat. I think if we had been told this on arrival, it would help to manage expectations.

Bar staff on the whole weren’t the most out-going people i’d come across. Overall the service was efficient though.

Downstairs there is a great games room, nice seating, couple of darts boards and a pool table. Great if you have kids.

Would I return? Probably and would definitely pop in for a bar meal sometime as we are fairly local and the food was great.

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Visited the pub today after walking the Tolkien Trail and was very impressed. Yes the pub is a little rough around the edges and some people would complain about cushions and decor but the food and service was amazing and that’s what it’s all about. Had the pork belly starter and cod loin for main with sticky toffee pudding to finish and it was honestly the best meal I’ve had in ages. Can’t wait to go back and would recommend anyone to try it!

Reviewed March 19, 2018

On our way home from celebrating my 50th birthday weekend retreat and thought we would finish off with a nice meal in a nice pub somewhere. We found this place and thought it sounded nice. Quite liked the decor style inside, old, traditional but the music did nt match that. We chose the far room to eat but it was very cold in there, dont think the heating was on. The young girls that served us were pretty lifeless. I ordered a half of cider and she brought me a pint. We ordered 2 steak and ale pies with chips and mushy peas. I think there were about 2 small chunks of meat and the rest was pretty mushed up gravy, and the pastry smelt very strongly of butter which made my husband gip as he cant stand butter. The chips were so thoroughly coated in salt that you could nt taste anything else, My husband never leaves chips but had to leave some and I left nearly all mine as I have high blood pressure and there was just too much salt for me Im afraid. We were bitterly disappointed with our lunch and did make a complaint. We were offered more chips which we refused politely and they did deduct a very small amount from the bill. Overall I would not recommend here and dont think we will return.

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

Bustling with diners & drinkers alike (always a good sign). Quick & efficient service. The king prawn starter was to die for & my other halves scallops were too! Main courses consisted of a mouth watering pan fried cod in a clam chowder & I highly recommend it (I'll be having it again thats for sure)! An enormous rump steak arrived for my partner perfectly cooked (medium) & plenty of homemade chips, shrooms & tomato! Polite friendly staff, whats not to like! Perfecto

Reviewed February 25, 2018

Food was excellent with mammoth portions to set us up for a walk. Warm comfortable surroundings with cozy log fires. Staff very pleasant and helpful, Our first visit but will definitely return soon.

1  Thank Erika W