“Nice but a little bit odd”
Review of Millfields Hotel

and 1 more site!
Millfields Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nice but a little bit odd”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed here overnight on a business trip and had been told it was a decent hotel with lots of facilities and a good restaurant. On arrival it was clear by the amount of cars in the hotel car park that the hotel gym is very busy and used by the locals. There were people in and out of reception paying for gym classes and passing through to get to the gym which didn't really bother me but might put others off. I was shown to my room and was led through a warren of corridors and rooms just to get to it, I was also told I could use a short cut through the hotels indoor squash courts to get to my room. Quite novel but definitely not a good idea during peak gym times! Again this didn't bother me too much though it did feel really odd.
My room was clean and spacious with nice facilities. The tea tray was well stocked and included biscuits. Free wifi was available throughout the hotel and I was really quite surprised to find the speed really quick compared to other places I've stayed.
The bar had a good selection of lagers, ales and cider and was reasonably priced. The sitting area in the bar was nicely spaced out but looked a bit dated and 70's. I sat close to the large gas fire (made to look like a real fire) and kept getting whiff of gas which was slightly concerning. Luckily I was booked into the restaurant so didn't have to put up with it for long. The restaurant is probably the most modern part of the hotel and is more of a large conservatory. It is nicely decorated and lit with fairy lights across the ceiling. The food itself was nice but a little disappointing. I started with smoked sea bream which was delicious however the bavarian cheese stuffed chicken breast which I ordered as a main contained very little cheese - a shame because otherwise I wouldn't be moaning about the food at all.
The service throughout the hotel was fair and I have no complaints here. The hallways, bar and bedrooms could really do with redecorating and updating to bring this hotel up to standard and into the modern age. Some areas (particularly the corridors) reminded me of walking around a nursing home, and that included the foisty smell that was prevalent especiall in the morning.
This hotel could be really lovely but as it is its only just average. I've given it a 'very good' rating based on the wifi experience which is important to me when travelling on business.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Emma D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
UK
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This is a very busy hotel with an equally busy restaurant which non residents rate highly enough to use on a regular basis. It is also a busy fitness centre with lots of non residents making full use of the facilities.
The first night was in an annexe which the room was somewhat stuck in the 80's - very clean with all the usual facilities but just 10 years old decor (at least). Not put off though I stayed again a few days later and that was more modern but equally clean tidy and somewhat better. All seemed very good as I stopped here twice in the same week. I would recommend this hotel for a business trip as the food and drink - and breakfast were very good just ask for one of the refurbed rooms.

Room Tip: Away from the fitness centre and ask for refurbed room
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Stayed for one night on business. Arrived on a Wednesday evening to a packed out carpark. There is additional parking at the rear however, it is one way in and one way out at the side of the building. Very dark area and not practical when trying to find a parking space. After 30 minutes of waiting, I was able to find a space.

On checking in, reception was extremely busy. The receptionist was visibly rushed off her feet but service was still with a smile.

I was escorted to my room by a man. For a lady staying on her own in a hotel, I dont think this is best practice, in my opinion. I appreciate the room would have been difficult to find however, I dont think being escorted by a man is appropriate.

I ordered room service which was delivered within around 40 mins (after initially being told there was a two hour wait) so I was pleasantly surprised. However, food was delivered by a man which I dont think is best practice.

The room itself was very dated and the TV wouldnt work. It appears that the tv reciever was not transmitting properly. The bathroom has clearly just been renovated and this was lovely.

The room was noisy and I didnt get much sleep due to the noise and a draft from the window.

I didnt use the restaurant or other facilities during my stay.

In summary; some aspects need reviewing and the parking could be problematic if not in a position to wait around for a space.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I have used this Hotel on all my visits to Grimsby.

the food is excellent and very good value for money.

The rooms are comfortable and a few have been refurbished.
There is usually ample car parking however, last week I had difficulty due to a pilates class on Wednesday evening that started at 5pm. Get there before 5pm if possible to guarantee parking.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 28 - 30 very thin walls.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank yvonne_sharp
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

First time trying Millfields for an afternoon meal and I was impressed with the value for money and tasty food.

We actually had an entire part of the restaurant to ourselves and were able to savour the autumnal feel of the surrounding grounds.

I settled for vegetable stroganoff, which was very tasty - the hints of Dijon mustard being very evident. There were plenty of vegetables in the sauce, along with lots of different styles of nuts. The accompanying rice was cooked well and was light, not stodgy.

Service was very good and attentive, particularly at dessert time, although the dessert I went with, Baileys Cheescake was a little bit of let down because it was obviously straight out of the freezer, although it was nice enough - but not to the standard of the main course.

My main complaint would be that on the 2-for-1 menu there is only one vegetarian option and this isn't really sufficient when stroganoff is not to everyone's taste.

However, looking at the various evening and Christmas menus, I would definitely consider a trip back to try some of these different fares.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jonnybgoode82
Leeds
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I stayed here recently; good size car park, has gym facilities as well as a squash court. My purpose was just a room for the night

The room was a good size, nothing spectacular. The bathroom was large; does require updating.

Only fault is, the rooms have thin Walls, so conversations and late night noises can wake you easily.

The service was attentive and quick.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Aamar D
Cambridge
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed at Millfields when visiting a customer.
The hotel was good nice bar and good choice of beers and drinks. I went to bed happy with it all.
In the morning I came down to breakfast and had to wait so long to order my breakfast I was too late for anything but toast !
Then I went to check out and another delay. There seemed to be only two people doing everything. It seemed that Millfields were saving a wage or two but happy to let service suffer.
The two girls who were running about were really busy and under the circumstances cheerful.
In contrast the bar the night before seemed to have at least enough staff. Strange
Would I stay here again ? Only if I knew that they cared enough about my visit to employ enough people to service those who stay.
The room seemed OK. The bathroom seemed very tired. The bath and the tiles looked like they had been there since early 70's.
To summarise they seem to be close to a very good hotel but happy for small things to let it down !

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CambridgeWhitey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grimsby
1.9 km away
The Burlington Hotel
#1 of 8 in Cleethorpes
0.9 km away
The St. James Hotel Grimsby

Been to Millfields Hotel? Share your experiences!