“Wonderful meal”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2018 via mobile

We had a super meal. Only disappointment was that we were too full for pudding!
Super staff. Very attentive.
Would definitely return.

Reviewed October 18, 2018 via mobile

We came here for a Sunday lunch, we arrived at the bar area and sat at the bar for a drink whilst we waited for our table, the bar person was on her own and seemed very stressed, she was having to do everything. I was offered the usual run of the mill soft drinks!
We were taken to our table. Nobody took our coats and wet umbrella.
The food was quite good, we had the Sunday roast, I had to ask for more vegetables . Was not what I expected from a Michelin star restaurant.

Reviewed October 11, 2018

Thatched pub in a small village, two miles from Helmsley to Pickering road. Two miles from Helmsley. Large pub, but need to book even on a Monday evening in October, it is so good and well known from mighty Middlesbrough to York.

Food is perfectly cooked and menu is a bit limited, shot hare, shot mallard, shot partridge and black pudding being some of the choices I can remember seeing. Drinks a bit expensive, but reasonably. A meal for two can easily cost £80. But a great place for a special occasion. The Star have accommodation across the road as well.

1  Thank AwesomeAyresome
Reviewed October 9, 2018

The fish goujons were disgusting. Not wanting a confrontation because it would have ruined the evening further I emailed my concerns to them when I got home. Now, I wish I had had the confrontation because 6 months later I still have flash backs of those horrible orange pieces of wet slimey yuck half filled with grey goo.
They did reply to my email suggesting I call them to try and rectify the matter.
I have been here before a few times and know this isn't the norm. I would bet my granny on those goujons being frozen out of a bag.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

To say I was nervous about visiting a Michelin starred restaurant with a 14 month old would be a massive understatement. We were determined to go while we were in the area though, so we booked a nice early table (5pm on a Sunday) and took plenty of books and toys for the boy.

I needn't have worried - our waitress was brilliant. Didn't even bat an eyelid when the toddler went straight for the cutlery, she just surreptitiously moved them away from his setting, and smiled sweetly at him. The whole staff was the same. Not one person made us feel awkward, and as a result, it was a lovely, relaxed experience.

The food was incredible too. My partner and I had both had the roast beef and it was LUSH. Perfectly cooked meat, great accompaniments, and just the right amount of DELICIOUS gravy.