“Honeymoon visit”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

First night of our honeymoon we decided to come for a visit. The staff were lovely without been in your face and the food was fantastic. I think that the starter of smoked salmon and prawns was my favourite. Make sure you visit the coffee lounge upstairs great place to relax after your meal. My only critism is that for such a long place I don't expect to hear all the fing and jeffing from the bar when I am trying to eat my lovely meal, maybe fill the furthest room away from the bar first so people don't have to listen to it.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful looking restaurant!
Disappointing food!
We have eaten at some lovely restaurants!
The Crab and Lobster and Yorebridge House being 2 of our favourites!
Never been to a Michelin star restaurant before so we were really looking forward to it.
I had to season each dish....I have never had to season food in a fancy restaurant before. I expect to use salt and pepper for pub food, not a fancy restaurant!

The bread and butter was delicious. Warm and homemade.
Everything is so beautifully presented and this only added to our disappointment as we were so excited to eat each course.

Venison tartare and the rock pool for starters.
Rock pool was lovely, venison was tasteless.
Beef dinner with Yorkshire pudding and mallard for mains.
Beef was not rested enough and was again tasteless.
Duck was overcooked and had that liver taste to it when red meat is overcooked.

Coffee and homemade sweets in the upstairs loft was lovely and this was the best part!
We had another bottle of rose prosecco up there and really enjoyed ourselves in that spooky setting.

Staff were lovely, very attentive and knowledgeable. Our red wines were paired perfectly with our mains.

I hated writing this review as we were soooooo looking forward to our visit! If this is Michelin star, then I'll never go to one again!!

1  Thank greenfingers228
Reviewed November 3, 2018 via mobile

Firstly I have never left a bad review for a restaurant in my life. But tonight’s experience really warrants one. I had booked this restaurant for my girlfriends birthday meal (I am still so sorry for doing that to her).

It started off fine, we ordered champagne to start with. Beautiful champagne, ok price. We were having the 7 course tasting menu. We love eating out at nice restaurants and sampling the tasting menus, to see what they have to offer. Having eaten at a restaurant called Home in Leeds only a day previously, and having had an amazing experience, we went to the Star thinking being a Michelin star restaurant it would be something really special. Sadly this was not the case.

The courses started coming and just went from unbearable to impossible to stomach. Sat here writing this I still feel physically sick. The crab was the worst, it was horrific, but overall the menu was some of the worse food I have ever tasted. The wine pairing was a joke. I have no idea who designed the menu with wine pairing but they deserve sacking. The sommelier must have been sniffing something other than fine wine when he came up with it.

The final course we could stomach was their “signature dish”, foie gras and black pudding, two of my favourite things. I had only had black pudding earlier that morning. Well it was merely palatable to say it was their signature dish. It was a joke and to be paired with port when having a main seemed like a drunk man spinning round and just pointing at a bar for something to go with the dish. It was disgusting. I managed to stomach mine but my girlfriend could not and neither of us could manage the “wine pairing”. All in all, we had 4 courses my girlfriend stomached 2 and hated one of those. I stomached three and I’m still regretting it.

Having enough, and no longer wishing to carry on the torture, we got hold of a staff member after sitting for half an hour not touching a thing. The girl, fair play, said she would get a manger. After waiting nearly 15 minutes for the madam to show, she was nothing but rude and clearly lacking of taste and customer service. Extremely rude and antagonising.

She eventually said “I will tot up your bill”. So after a horrific evening, I then had to pay £120 for the.... pleasure?

Worst restaurant experience of my life. Ruined my girlfriends birthday meal and would definitely not recommend to a person who I have utter distain for let alone a friend.

Next time I will go McDonalds, which incidentally has more of a right to a Michelin star than this place.

6  Thank Grant M
Reviewed October 24, 2018 via mobile

We had a super meal. Only disappointment was that we were too full for pudding!
Super staff. Very attentive.
Would definitely return.

Reviewed October 18, 2018 via mobile

We came here for a Sunday lunch, we arrived at the bar area and sat at the bar for a drink whilst we waited for our table, the bar person was on her own and seemed very stressed, she was having to do everything. I was offered the usual run of the mill soft drinks!
We were taken to our table. Nobody took our coats and wet umbrella.
The food was quite good, we had the Sunday roast, I had to ask for more vegetables . Was not what I expected from a Michelin star restaurant.