All reviews luxury room jeremy clarkson wine cellar sunday lunch stunning views four poster bed antique furniture evening meal yorkshire dales night break relaxing stay large room lovely atmosphere both nights lovely weekend stayed for one night top class
Reviewed August 21, 2017 via mobile

I used to come here as a kid in the early 90's and always remembered a bustling and beautiful hotel, sadly this is no longer the case. After so many years I was excited to be going back. My Wife and booked to stay on a Sunday night and when we arrived in the afternoon I expected the restaurant and bar to be extremely busy with people having Sunday lunch however this was not the case and it was very quiet which surprised us, however the dead plants in reception should of need a warning sign!!!
We checked into our room which was very spacious however the bathroom had cracked tiles, was dirty around the shower and the window frames in both the bathroom and bedroom were crumbling and the wardrobe was practically falling apart. We went for a drink in the bar and my wife ordered a glass of Pinot Noir however they did not have enough for a full glass and no more in stock so she had to choose something else, I took a look in the wine cellar which was half empty....

We had the 3 course Sunday lunch with lovely views and the food was excellent, the only downside being that when I used the gents toilets they were very run down.
After dinner we took a walk in the beautiful surrounding countryside.

The following morning the restaurant was very quiet, which surprised in the summer season, but the full English Breakfast was very good so I am glad they still have a good chef.

Upon checkout we were told that the card machine was broken and they would call me later with details of my bill and to take payment, this never happened and I received an email of my room and drinks bill telling me it had already been taken from the card I used to pay my deposit!!! This was really poor, surely I should of had a phone call with details of the bill???

All in all this, apart from the food, this was a disappointing stay and I see a former glorious country house hotel that is very clearly in need of some serious love, but more importantly some serious money invested in it. The email I received last night with £10 off my next staywon't be tempting me back. I would of scored this place lower but food and my childhood memories stopped me.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jamiescott31
Reviewed August 16, 2017

Everywhere else decent was booked up so we rang here and (suspiciously) got in on a Sat eve.
Everybody will tell you about the fantastic views and the look of the place (from a distance), whilst they are correct it takes more than that to succeed.
On closer inspection it is quite run down inside and out, rotton leaking doors, stained and bleached garden furniture, grass growing out of overflowing gutters, we even sat next to an unwatered dead climbing plant to eat our dinner.
There were people constantly walking dogs through the dining area whilst we were eating too, I don't mind dogs, but I think their owners need another door to use!
The menu is very pretentious, we ordered Guineafowl and it was ok, nothing more. It was advertised as "slow-bathed guinea fowl, houmous, purple carrot, carrot purée, jus gras"
It could have been a piece of chicken breast really as it didn't taste of much, there were a few coloured squiggles on the plate to make it look arty and it was on a bed of what looked and tasted like pickled red cabbage. This red stuff (whatever it was) was so strong and overpowering that the mildness of the tiny bits of meat were completely swamped by it.
It wasn't good value for money at all; expensive and very small. I don't expect a huge plateful, but felt they were taking the p*** here a bit. If the price was lower I would have been a bit happier.
When no-one asks you what you thought of your meal and you can get in at short notice peak season on a Saturday eve it speaks volumes.
You kind of get the feeling the owners aren't on site and someone with little experience has been left on their own to run the show.
I wouldn't go again unless I was sure they'd improved matters, i'm not surprised Clarkson kicked off.
'Could do better' is my parting shot, I do hope they can improve things, the place deserves better.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MikeOxgreen
Reviewed August 10, 2017

What a wonderful wedding we enjoyed for my daughter and her new husband last week-end! Perfect weather, a scenic backdrop to die for and a lovely atmosphere enhanced by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The event finished on a high note (literally) with a lovely Opera evening/black tie event on Sunday before we left for home on Monday.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed July 31, 2017

This was a delightful stay. The last time my wife and I stayed at Simonstone was in 1986, and a lot has changed since then, all for the better. It was great to be back at this imposing country house with views across Wensleydale that really are breathtaking. The welcome was extremely efficient and our room (17) had a nice view of the dale and was very comfortable, with a spacious bathroom. Our dog was well catered for too, with bowls for food and water and some treats in the room. We stayed for three nights and ate dinner in the hotel on all three. The food was outstanding and the wine list is excellent, including reasonably priced bottles. Breakfast was superb. The service was always friendly and very efficient and our whole stay was relaxing and enjoyable. I hope we don't let another 30 years elapse before returning to this beautiful place. A couple of small points: the wi-fi seems patchy and didn't work in our room (not a problem as it turned out, but it could do with sorting out in due course). Secondly, the music in the restaurant is sometimes rather intrusive and surely isn't necessary? In every other respect this is a terrific hotel.

Room Tip: If there's a choice, ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2017 via mobile

Can't fault the food, the wine, the service, or the value in the Brasserie. The fact that we looked out over glorious countryside was the cherry on top. A real treat. Easy to find too - well sign-posted. Our meal was slightly delayed but we were told in good time - time we filled with some lovely bread rolls.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple