All reviews luxury room jeremy clarkson wine cellar sunday lunch stunning views four poster bed antique furniture evening meal yorkshire dales night break relaxing stay large room lovely atmosphere both nights lovely weekend stayed for one night top class
Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

Booked last minute and got a nice room with a small lounge, with a nice view of the snowy buttertubs pass. The room was a bit cold but the staff were very helpful and
brought us additional heaters which sorted things out. The restaurant meal was good on our previous visit but was even better this time albeit a little more expensive. Breakfast was very good. Staff friendly and very helpful.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobWRS
Reviewed March 18, 2018

I would love to be able to write a review of Simonstone Hall. However I can only write instead about the appalling customer service that we have received.
My husband presented me with £400 worth of vouchers, valid for 12 months, for Simonstone Hall as a Christmas present 2017. I had had an appalling year, with the death of both of my parents and several other life changing issues, and he knew it would cheer me up, as we have often passed close to Simonstone when on walking holidays in the area, and every time I have said "I would love to stay there".
We booked in late December for a two night stay, for the 21st and 22nd September 2018 (we have to book very early as we are often limited regarding what holidays we can take from work, and need to have them sorted a long time in advance)
The email confirmation from the hotel arrived on 27th December and this clearly states in the cancellation policy “Please be aware that a booking, once accepted, is a legal commitment”
Well it isn't.
On 12th February 2018 we had a phone call, summarily cancelling our booking because a wedding party wanted to book the whole hotel, so we got kicked out.
We were asked to return our vouchers, and the £400 (paid in advance, remember, when my husband bought the vouchers) would be refunded to us.
We couldn't change to an earlier date, as couldn't get holiday from work, and frankly I didn't want to be risking more adverse weather any later in the year.
We were offered nothing by way of compensation, not even an extension on the vouchers, perhaps into Spring 2019, or a free evening meal perhaps? Had this been forthcoming, then whilst I would have been annoyed at the cancellation, I would have accepted that such a large booking was difficult to turn down. However the 2 phone calls and subsequent e-mail from the Hotel offered no recompense, other than to offer us a stay at a different nearby hotel instead! And magnanimously offering to pay the £20 extra to stay there. When the whole point was that I wanted to stay at Simonstone Hall. If I wanted to stay elsewhere than I would have booked elsewhere, we visit the Dales every year so I do know plenty of places. So my wish to stay at Simonstone Hall is never to be granted, we wouldn't risk making another booking, as the stated "legal commitment" only applies to the customer, not the hotel, who can cancel your booking whenever they like. Be warned, your booking is only safe as long as something, or someone, better doesn't come along. We are taking legal advice.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank salandmick
Simonstone_Hall, Manager at Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Hi salandmick,

It's so very unfortunate that you have decided to write such a negative review of our little Hotel.
As we explained to you both with our initial, extremely sincere apology, it was a so regrettable, untypical and unforunate that we were forced to change your booking, especially as you had booked so far in advance. We always aim to do the very best for our guests and this situation was understandably difficult for both of us.

However, for all the reasons outlined in our telephone conversations and as a small rural business, we were unable to to commit to your single room booking. As we explained, cancelling your booking was not an easy decision at all and we certainly do not ever wish to upset or turn away guests/bookings for the Hotel, but on this occasion, cancelling the replacement event booking of all rooms for three nights would certainly be extremely detrimental to our little business, our reputation and our future.

We had offered alternative dates for your stay or alternative local accommodation and with so many months notice, we had hoped that you would have understood that we tried very hard to find a suitable solution and that we very much try to make each and every guest happy, on booking and during their visits, even offering you compensation and fully-paid upgrades with other hotels!

We understand that you had been very much looking forward to your visit to Simonstone Hall and that working for the Police force has its pressures, along with personal circumstances and the need to commit to vacation dates in advance being a challenge, however, we had hoped that almost 8 months notice would allow the time to accommodate our polite request.

We immediately and fully refunded your vouchers as per your request after offering alternative dates and stays with us which would have allowed us to properly compensate you for any inconvenience caused. This was a particularly difficult and unfortunate as we know that the nature of your frustration is because we were not able to accommodate you to stay in a Hotel which you had "enjoyed visiting for many years" and because you had been "so looking forward to the stay in late September".

We do wish you many more enjoyable trips to the Yorkshire Dales in the future and hope that you have managed to find suitable alternative accommodation for your trip. Because of our very difficult and extremely rare decision (this is the first time!), we hope to keep our doors open for many, many future happy guests that are also visiting this very special area of the world.

Of course, it still stands that if you change your mind and choose to take up our offer of a future stay at Simonstone Hall, we would be sure to welcome you with the same warm and friendly hospitality that we offer to all guests, albeit at a date other than you had which you had originally booked with us, to ensure that your much anticipated stay at Simonstone Hall lives upto, and beyond, your expectations.

Kind regards and best wishes for your return to the Yorkshire Dales,

Simonstone Hall

Reviewed March 12, 2018

A very pleasant stay at this hotel ,the rooms were lovely and very clean. The food was good and service was perfect . We hope to be returning very soon. The weather was great which made it perfect with the wonderful views .

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2018

We were very impressed by this country house hotel. Stayed overnight with our dog who was made very welcome, the staff were excellent, the service was exceptional and the food was first rate.Looking forward to returning.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed February 25, 2018

We booked this last minute and chose the dinner, bed & breakfast package which was really good value. We received a warm greeting at reception. We had a lovely evening meal looking across towards Hawes with a fire pit burning outside. The weather was perfect which made the scenery absolutely stunning. We will defiantly be returning for a longer stay.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple