“Friday lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Traditional English pub
Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

We decided to call in for lunch on our way to Knaresborough. The menu is very reasonable and lots of choices. Two courses for £6.50 make it very reasonable but obviously the price point means the ingredients will reflect that.
I chose arancini to start. The three Sicilian flavoured rice balls were really tasty and came with balsamic dressed salad. I then had plaice chips and peas, my original choice of ham and eggs was not available today. My husband had lasagna with garlic bread and salad.
We both enjoyed the food which was well presented and cooked to order. Very generous portions too.
Friendly service and good basic food which hit the spot.

1  Thank theharrogatelady
There are newer reviews for The Union

Reviewed 3 February 2017

The headline sums up my review nicely. The Union is somewhere we like to pop in after a wee walk in the summer from where we live. The beer garden is fantastic and offers views over the cricket ground.

We've always been warmly welcomed and found the staff friendly.

I'm not a fan of the choice of beer, it's very generic and unambitious with a few casks of very mediocre ale on offer with the usual bland mainstream lager brands. Nothing to get excited about at all. I wish they would improve that and I would visit a lot more often.

Reviewed 5 November 2016

The Union is real - a proper pub pub - don't expect to get designer decor or cocktails but do expect to be amazed by the wonderful service and banter. The food is good and the prices too but it is Diane who is the star. Go in and ask for Diane

2  Thank tinacatling
Reviewed 31 October 2016

My partner and I are keen car booters, we have been going to one in Minskip, Boroughbridge, on our way home we go through Knaresborough and we have stopped at The Union a couple of times for a drink, This Sunday we had some lunch neither of us are big eaters so we had starters instead of a meal, it was lovely, staff are friendly and helpful, it is next to a Cricket club which in summer you can watch the matches from the pub beer garden, and lots of people do, it is on a main road but when you are sat in the back it is as if you are out in the country side, couldn't ask for better, Well done all at the Union :-)

Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Another lovely Sunday lunch today. Beautifully cooked roast beef and veg, huge Yorkshire pudding and loads of homemade gravy ☺️

We managed a pudding today too (maybe a step too far)! They were only £2 each!

Lovely relaxed atmosphere, family friendly - with smaller portions available.

1  Thank Julie S