“Doesn't get much etter”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Traditional English pub
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

Have visited pub previously but tonight had 2 hunters chicken and bottle of Hardy's Chardonnay for £20 then strawberry and clotted cream tower and ice cream to die for extra charge. Well kept beer and very friendly service. The food was superb in quality quantity and presentation. They do various menus each night give it a try you won't be disappointed, don't take notice of the previous criticism

There are newer reviews for The Union

Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

Had lunch here last sunday, the food was absolutely gorgeous! All perfectly cooked. Having been the the Smiths Arms in Beckwithshaw the previous week I was a little sceptical visiting The Union. The Smiths Arms has lovely decor and seating (unfortunately much nicer than the union) but it is not a patch on The Unions Sunday roast! And ad a bonus the price of a Sunday Roast AT The Union is just £7.95!! I shall be visiting here again.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

We decided to call in for lunch on our way to Knaresborough. The menu is very reasonable and lots of choices. Two courses for £6.50 make it very reasonable but obviously the price point means the ingredients will reflect that.
I chose arancini to start. The three Sicilian flavoured rice balls were really tasty and came with balsamic dressed salad. I then had plaice chips and peas, my original choice of ham and eggs was not available today. My husband had lasagna with garlic bread and salad.
We both enjoyed the food which was well presented and cooked to order. Very generous portions too.
Friendly service and good basic food which hit the spot.

1  Thank theharrogatelady
Reviewed 3 February 2017

The headline sums up my review nicely. The Union is somewhere we like to pop in after a wee walk in the summer from where we live. The beer garden is fantastic and offers views over the cricket ground.

We've always been warmly welcomed and found the staff friendly.

I'm not a fan of the choice of beer, it's very generic and unambitious with a few casks of very mediocre ale on offer with the usual bland mainstream lager brands. Nothing to get excited about at all. I wish they would improve that and I would visit a lot more often.

Reviewed 5 November 2016

The Union is real - a proper pub pub - don't expect to get designer decor or cocktails but do expect to be amazed by the wonderful service and banter. The food is good and the prices too but it is Diane who is the star. Go in and ask for Diane

2  Thank tinacatling