“short break on borders”
Review of The Blue Bell

The Blue Bell
Ranked #2 of 2 Crookham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 May 2015

we decided to stay at the blue bell inn on the way to a holiday in Scotland, the hotel easy to find did not disappoint in any way .A very pleasant welcome booking in.The room was very clean,the bar was very nice good choice of beers decent prices.The meal was excellent,whitebait then slow cooked brisket The chef came out to see if we had enjoyed the meal,It was a most enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Family room was VG
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 724wanderer

Reviewed 9 May 2015

The land lady of our bed-and-breakfast recommended we eat at the Blue Bell. Recommendations from locals are always worth considering. As this one definitely did not disappoint.
We had a very warm welcome as we arrived and the group around to the bar created a happy and relaxed atmosphere. The new front of house waiter had lots of time to chat with us as we arrived early. The restaurant tables soon began to fill and when we received our slow cooked brisket (which was a large portion) we soon began to appreciate why this is a very well rated busy and local restaurant.
We will make plans to eat here again when we return.

Room Tip: We did not stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kiki230564
Reviewed 27 April 2015

Went for a quiet lunch with a friend. Warm and friendly greeting. Meal was served quickly and efficiently. I had the Calarmari - none of your frozen stuff here - quite superb. Then I had a hot roast beef Ciabatta - yumeeeeeee
No room for pudding but they sounded good.
Reasonably priced and worth every penny.
Will be back sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Did not stay - meal only
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2015

stopped for a late lunch on the way south and was very impressed with the welcome from the lady behind the bar.The lunch menu looked really good and when our choices arrived the real thing was even better.The pick of the bunch was the beef and hot gravy baguette served with small tasty side salad and tortillas or chips it was brilliant value .The small fish and chips option wasn't that small but it was lovely as well.the best bit was we wouldn't have come on this if we hadn't been detoured of the A1 so we felt very lucky to have visited,

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2015

I can only agree with other reviewers
you will not be disappointed
we ate there on a Saturday night
lovely atmosphere
beautifully presented food
attentive helpful and friendly staff
well worth a visit!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jan2105
Reviewed 8 January 2015

Tasty and stylish food at reasonable prices. Warm and friendly welcome. We will be recommending and we will be back!!!! Nice to find a menu that offers more than 1 vegetarian choice in the starter and mains sections

Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank kerry h
Reviewed 17 October 2014

Sometimes you just know a place is right when you walk through the door. That's how it was with the Blue Bell. It's warm, clean, friendly and just the epitome of an English country pub.

We ate there 3 nights out of 5 on a family holiday, and the experience was equally good on each occasion.

You can eat either in the bar or the (large) separate dining area... part of which is a conservatory.

The menu is varied, but not too varied. Being something of a traditionalist, I had Eyemouth haddock, chips and mushy peas on two occasions. Absolutely perfect. Light crisp batter, locally landed fish, and lovely mushy peas. My wife tried this too, but also had two different pasta dishes - both excellent. Portions are generous, so take an appetite.

Kids are well catered for, as are vegetarians. In fact, the kids portions don't fall too far short of the adult ones.

The atmosphere is perfect... clean, easy colour scheme, nice original features... but it's the little things which impress... like good quality cutlery, nice dinner service, and comfortable seats.

It all seemed so effortless, which makes me think a lot of effort went into making it so.

Since I was the driver, my experience of the beer was confined to a mouthful of my wife's "Holy Cow" ale. This was a lovely brew... rich, not too sharp, with a good after taste, and cared for by someone who really knows their way round a cellar. The contented locals in the bar make be think the other ales (of which there are a good variety) would be just the same.

The staff are really good - pleasant, attentive, and very friendly... again just the right balance. It speaks volumes that one waitress comes from Kelso to work there... not because there are no jobs nearer but because she really likes working at the Blue Bell.

However, I can't finish without mentioning THAT pie. On our last night I cast aside conservatism and went for the chicken, bacon and stilton pie. This was a work of genius. The pastry was perfect... light and perfectly cooked - without exploding a the touch of a fork. The filling was amazing - this is pub food raised to the level of an art form. The taste of stilton with the chicken and shredded bacon was something I will long remember. I got the recipe from the (very friendly) chef... deceptively simple when written down but I suspect my efforts will fall well short of this perfection.

The desserts were reported by my wife and son as equally good... and beautifully presented.

I would highly recommend eating here. It really is a lovely experience.

On a more whimsical note... a visit to the gents is also worthwhile... apart from the pristine cleanliness, the furnishings are straight from a designer catalogue... with the most wonderful taps I have ever seen.

Don't drive past the Blue Bell... you'll miss a truly wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Whatever pie is on the menu... have it!
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Admi

Been to The Blue Bell? Share your experiences!