Old Crown Coaching Inn
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
The Bull Hotel(Fairford)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscourt roomold buildingfull englishroast potatoesopen fireseparate showerspacious roomgood nights sleepspecial occasioncharacterpubcorridortlclandlordalesrear
Reviewed December 2, 2011

This was pulled off late rooms as the room was on offer. It is situated in a pleasant market town, which is fairly small but nice enough for a wander. The staff were very freindly and helpful, and even brought us piping hot breakfast in bed which they don't normally do on Sunday morning. The hotel is very large and has various bars and function rooms, and it is a little on the scruffy side. However, the room with the four poster bed was superb, massive and very comfortable four poster bed in a large room. Bathroom only had a shower but was all clean and worked well once set to the right temperature. Towels were on the small side and the flat screen TV didn't have good reception.
But otherwise a pleasant stay. We didn't have an evening meal there, and ended up in the Market Restautant across the road which was excellent but expensive.

Room Tip: Four poster room is quiet as it is high up from the bars.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed for one night in the Court Room. AMAZING! so much space, great TV - great bathroom with a jacuzzi bath! The room was very large and had 2 double beds (or possibly queen). We were given soap and hair gel etc - which considering the style of the hotel was pleasantly surprised!

Even though it was the owners night off she checked us in and showed us to our room - she was lovely! So friendly! We didnt eat at the Inn or have anything to drink. Lovely town to walk around and had dinner across the road The Market Restaurant (which i will also be writing a review for because it was PERFECT!! The service was just lovely!)

The room was fairly hot when we got there and even though we turned what we thought was all the heating off it was still quite warm. We even asked for a late check out of an hour and they said they could accommodate this - but im sure it wasnt the easiest thing for us to ahve asked at late notice.

The breakfast was my only gripe. The cereal, toast, all good. Enough choice. The room was set when we got there and the lady was friendly enough. But it was all fried. Even the bread! My partner ate it all anyway without complaint but im sure the breakfast couldve been a little better.

Also tea and coffee making facilities in the room - amazing! we were given about 10 biscuits! And lots of milk and cream and teas and coffee! Much better than some leading hotels who ration you out 2 biscuits and 2 milks and not much more!

Other than that i thoroughly recommend this hotel to couples esp if booking the Court Room.

Room Tip: As we only saw the court room i can only comment on that and it was just perfect! Very large! And beautifully decorated :)
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidaysometimer
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I booked this room for my fiances birthday. It looked lovley on the site. I requested a travel cot as we have a 10 month old baby. I rang 4 days before going to check if they had a travel cot as I didnt want to get up there and there be nowhere for our son to sleep. I spoke to a guy on thephone who thought they had a travel cot but wasnt sure! I asked him to ring back if they didnt and I woulld bring my own. I didnt hear anything, but decided to take one anyway as he hadnt sounded too sure! When we arrived we walked into the bar which looked really tired. After 15 minutes of waiting we were eventually shown to our room. On the way to the room we were told we had been up graded as they had already used the one travel cot they had (so glad we bought our own) the room we had been put in was lovely. It was huge with 2 double beds a sofa and 2 chairs. Nicely decorated too, but our 10 month old was expected to sleep in a bed! There is no way I could put him in a bed on his own as he is crawling and would have just fallen out of it. So thankfully our travel cot was in the car. There was no heating so it was freezing in the room that night and the next morning. The bath was lovely and our son loved "swimming" in it. We went down for breakfast in the morning and there were no staff around so we sat there and waited for a bit. While we were waiting I decided to put some toast in the toaster for my son. I opened the bread bin and the bread was green with mould! this put us right off! They eventually came in and took our order (after seeing all the staff and owners out in the court yard smoking!!) we had a full english breakfast. It was not plesant. My fiance found a hair in his breakfast! That was it we couldnt eat anymore. The high chair they bought in for my son was filthy the guy wiped some of it off then wiped it on his trousers. I ended up cleaning it off withs ome of my wipes in the end! We wont be staying again and its a real shame as the room was lovely. The staff made no effort to dress smartly or hide the fact that they were all smoking. What a let down for my fiances birthday! :(

Room Tip: the best room was the suite
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Vicky M
Reviewed November 8, 2011

we have stayed at the hotel before as we have family in the area. we were meet by lisa who remembered us from a previous stay earlier in the year. we were taken to our room which was a lovely four poster, the room was clean and tidy and a lovely feel to the room. we eat in the bar from a menu of lovely homemade traditional food which i may add is great value for money and the portions big.
the bar was busy on food and friendly locals drinking adding to a warm friendly welcome.
the staff are all nice and friendly and nothing is too much too make your stay enjoyable.
the following morning we went down for breakfast which was earlier than service time as we had to leave by 7am which they willing opened for us at 6.45am which we were truely grateful.
we will be going back again over xmas and look forward to our week end away

Room Tip: the four poster room we stayed in was lovely. we only paid an extra £10 for a suite.. well worth the money
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank factorUk
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in May when we were given a fabulous room which was large, comfortable and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food very good.
However, what a disappointment this time. We were met with some people at the bar/reception who clearly didn’t want to be disturbed. We were even asked if we wanted them to show us to the room! This was necessary as the hotel is an old coaching inn with lots of narrow corridors around the place. The room was very small with hardly room to move about. There was a bedside table which housed three small drawers (the only ones in the room) on one side of the double bed (2 singles pushed together) and a very narrow wardrobe at the other side. There was a homemade dressing table of sorts and you could at least put a couple of suitcases on that! The shower in the shower room was good but the carpet was stained and could have been a lot cleaner.

We went down to breakfast just after 9am and the place was in chaos with two of the guests clearing tables and bringing up some slices of bread for the toaster. The orange juice jug and milk jug were constantly empty. We were still waiting for our cooked breakfasts at 10.05 when we had to call it a day or we would have been late meeting up with family members. I only wanted poached egg on toast.
When a few slices of bread finally appeared they were so hot that it was apparent they had just been thawed out in a microwave oven.
The vending machine for the coffee was not working and one of the guests repaired it!
Breakfast on the second morning was dreadful, the scrambled egg being only fit to repair shoes!

We were given to understood that the owners were away for the weekend but they had left the hotel in extremely incompetent hands. The whole experience was a complete shambles and we shall never be returning

Room Tip: Ask for the large room and make sure the owners are on site!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple