All reviews the pub specials board steak nice toiletries nice atmosphere saturday night yorkshire pudding cooked to perfection duck wychwood brewery bed and breakfast comfortable stay full english booked a table lovely room both nights town centre
Reviewed September 15, 2018

A nice pub for you to go and chill out and relax. I went here to see Paul Roberts who was the ex lead singer of The Stranglers a while back. They also have a Northern Soul night on if your into that kind of music. The food here is fantastic and is great for all the family. Also if your having a birthday and your sent emails you get a free bottle of wine too so that is a good way to attract more people. There are seats and tables outside with a view of the church on the green. Fantastic place to eat and drink. Prices are a bit high but good value all around.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Having always liked The Fleece for dinner and drinks with family and friends, we chose to go for brunch with my parents. Really poor experience sadly and not up to the usual Fleece standard.

Having been told that they’d run out of bacon so we would have to wait, they then delivered one breakfast with normal toast and not sourdough as ordered. It seemed they had run out of sourdough too. Everyone’s breakfast was luke warm and the bacon portion (when it had been sourced) was very small indeed. The poached eggs were more pickled than poached sadly as the vinegar they’d been poached in was just too overpowering and not pleasant at all to eat.

All in all, not up to standard and we won’t be returning any time soon for brunch/breakfast.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2018

I stayed at The Fleece on a Saturday night before attending an event at Blenheim Palace.

My room in a courtyard building was large and had been adapted for use by disabled people. This might have partially accounted for the functional but bare bathroom. The bed was comfortable but the room in general was rather gloomy and inexpensively furnished given the cost (£99).
The bar itself was on another level altogether, light airy and nicely furnished with extremely helpful and friendly staff. As I was alone I chose to eat at the bar but there was a dining room available. The food was good and served promptly despite the place being very busy. Unfortunately I needed to leave at around 8am on the Sunday morning which was too early for a full breakfast but I was served coffee and had some cereal.
I would have no hesitation about visiting the pub again, it really was very nice and having tables outside facing the green it really was a place to spend a pleasant few hours. The room however can only be described as functional and therefore I would not make the hotel my first choice in the area.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank cymro2
Reviewed August 29, 2018

Reception was quick and easy once we had attracted the attention of the receptionist who appeared to be multi-tasking. The room was spacious and clean, although there was a loose tile in the bathroom. The bed was large and comfortable, but our night's sleep was ruined. The room overlooked the green, beautiful view but there was rowdy behaviour outside, not connected with the hotel, until almost daybreak. In the restaurant, the tables are very small, it was a job to accommodate all the dishes, and very close together, they clearly want to accommodate as many customers as possible as it was full. Service was reasonably quick, given the number of customers and the staff pleasant and helpful. We were brought a jug of water without having to ask, always a good sign. Meal was very enjoyable and the cost mid-range. Breakfast service was very slow and I would have liked a better choice of cereal or fruit. When the full English eventually arrived it was substantial and very tasty.Would probably stay again, but I'd ask for a room at the back!

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2018

I stayed here with my husband for two nights for a friend’s wedding. We had a room in the outbuilding – it was spacious however a bit rough around the edges. The headboard and ceiling above the bed were very dusty and in need of a thorough clean. The room was quite dark with only one small window. The bed was ok but not that comfortable. The bathroom definately needed a good clean and (ideally) a full refurb.

Breakfast in the morning was excellent and so was the bar which we had a few drinks at one evening. Overall it is ok for the price but I would try elsewhere if I ever stayed in this part of the world again.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple