“Great food and great value! ”

The George & Dragon Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Much Wenlock
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional pub serving home made good value British pub food and traditional ales. Children, walkers and dogs welcome. Food offers available throughout the week.
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

We are holidaying in the local area and came across the George and Dragon on our first night, we had a drink and then the following night went back for food. We are a group of 4 adults, 3 children and a dog!
We ordered from a very reasonably priced menu and there was something for everyone. The food arrived and we weren't disappointed, fabulous tasty food piping hot! 4 of us ordered the beef burger which was really delicious and we highly recommend that! The portions were generous and we would definitely recommend a visit to this lovely friendly pub.
Thank you for making us welcome and for the delicious food. If we are back in the area we'll definitely return.

1  Thank NicJ72

Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

Went for a Sunday dinner. Good Yorkshire pudding and unfortunately that's all that was good. Big slab of meat covered by thin tasteless gravy. Microwaved vegetables and the biggest ball of stuffing I've ever seen. Raw cauliflower in a tasteless cheese sauce. Won't go again

6  Thank debsouthwell
Hoppo74, Owner at The George & Dragon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2018

It does make me laugh that you head up your review with 'anonymous', debsouthwell, with a picture of yourself on your profile which I have screenshotted. Are you another one of those brave people sitting behind a computer righting rubbish about a small local business, hoping noone will know its you? Because usually, a quick facebook search and we find you straight away - the joys of social media huh?

Anyway - sorry about you Big slab of meat - at least it wasn't a small one - value for money that is what we are about. Doubt the gravy was tasteless, but had you said to our face we would have loved the opportunity to do something about it - like maybe add a load of salt or something? Microwaved vegetables? SHOCK HORROR - let me let you into a little secret in the restaurant world. We don't cook your Sunday lunch to order - if we did you would all be waiting about an hour each meal - would you say it was fair to assume this is how long it would take you to cook your own? So yes - we and most other restaurants cook your veg and refresh to order. Not in the microwave actually - in a pan of boiling water but hey - who cares.

Biggest ball of stuffing you've ever seen? wow, on our 9 inch plates that must have been a spectacular sight! And I told my staff not to make balls of stuffing, its so 80's, I much prefer to just dump it on the plate - give it the 'rustic' look.

We roast the cauliflower - its all the rage now. It gives it a nice roasted flavour - it doesn't turn to the mush you're obviously used too. Sorry about that - maybe it was just too cool for the likes of Shropshire Sunday lunch.

All this for the bargain price of £7.95.

Thanks for your review - Glad you won't come again!

Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

After my husband got me lost on the moors (he will deny this of course) and say he knew exactly which way was North without his compass, I was ready for a pint and hot food. We chose 2 meals for £12 and enjoyed a hearty pie with mash and peas. Just what I needed to recover. Staff were very friendly and the service was excellent. A small pub with character and warm service. Now for a well deserved foot rub from the Hubby ;)

1  Thank poppett72
Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

We were made so welcome by the lovely locals. Bar snacks were great ( left this review on the fox page by mistake)

2  Thank JasonParsons111
Reviewed February 12, 2018

We called in for a drink forgetting the England v Wales Rugby Union match was on. The pub had it live on TV and there was plenty of locals watching the game. We where made to feel really welcome and sat with complete strangers chatting away. The guy behind the bar (Matt I think) was very pleasant and let me taste a couple of the local ales to help me make my mind up on what to have and my wife had no complaints with the gin & tonics.

1  Thank John B