New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
Portsmouth
“BASIC BUT CLEAN”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

This hotel is situated not far from Telford Town centre and the Iron Bridge Gorge and Museums and about 12 miles from Shrewsbury. This is a budget hotel/motel which we found very clean and with a friendly and helpful welcome. The local town of Shifnal is close by with a number of pubs, none of which I can recomend in fact we had the worst pub meal ever in the Wheatsheaf Pub. This hotel is probably worthy of a 1 or at the most a 2 night stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PortsmouthPensioner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Ive not stayed in one of these before, but have had bad experiences with more well know motels, like Travelodge.

This is a very well run establishment, its on a service station, but as this is at the end of the M54, it not really that busy. I stayed over a weekend and they had plenty of rooms.

The obvious main drawback is that its on a service station away from the local towns of Shifnal and Telford. But if you are stopping off halfway through your journey then this place is fine.

Stayed here after cutting short my stay at one of the local B&B's, this was slightly more expensive but was better than the local B&B, just waiting for Trip Advisor to put the B&B on here so I can review.

Although I have put 'No' to high speed internet, there is free internet access, however it is not high speed by any stretch of the imagination.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

Overall, the hotel is good value for money (afterall it is a motorway hotel) and is close to Telford. The beds and pillows were somewhat too soft for my back. The soap in the bathroom was not refilled.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

This Days Inn Hotel is so close to the service area you can hear the doors going as people walk into get their starbucks or burger king so glad it was Winter and could keep the window closed!

Having read the other reviews I am now under the impression that my ground floor room had recently been done up. Although the carpet was stained, the bathroom fittings seemed very new, the mattress really good, the sofa bed certainly wasn't tired and the television had all the freeview channels. Tea and Coffee making facilities were provided together with a couple of biscuits. Hairdryer was attached to the desk and soap and shower gel were provided in dispensers in the bathroom, The curtains were of the blackout variety which was a good job as the window faced the bright signs of the service area. The room was very clean and smelt fresh.

Whilst sound proofing was fine with the rooms next door, it did sound as if the people above were about to come crashing through the ceiling, stomping about in the small hours, and the corridor, as in most of these places, carried noise a bit too efficiently. The rumbles from the car park were also a bit disturbing at times.

There is a vending machine in the foyer, and there is a small discount if you pay for breakfast, which is in the service area next door. The receptionist was very helpful.

This hotel is very convenient for the M54 (obviously) and allows for an early start into mid and North Wales. Wi-fi was free and with an internet price of about £35 I felt one night was a convenient bargain. I do think I would have quickly tired of the noisy car park if I had stayed longer.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Wallasey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

We booked the room via late rooms and were charged £89.95. Thought for this we would get a reasonable standard of accomodation. How wrng we were!! Upon arrival reception staff very pleasant and efficient, no complaints at all with them. However when we went to room 115 we were greeted with a room stinking with cigarette smoke. We went back to complain and were told they were completely full with no other rooms available. they did however arrange for a can of airspray to be given to us! There was no mention anywhere on the booking that we had booked a smoking room(; to be honest we thought all decent hotels were now non-smoking), and no option to select non-smoking. despite using the airspray, leaving the windows open, and spending the minimal amount of time in the room we could, all of our clothes even in our case stunk of smoke. the room carpet was very marked and looked dirty; the bed must have come out of the ark with no support and sloping down to one side; desperately in need of replacing. The walls were marked especially over the heater which was strange as it was electric? The bathroom was actually not bad but no soap/gel in shower. All in all one of the worst places we have ever stayed and am suprised at days Inn for letting their standards get so low.Definately give this a miss unless you are absolutely desperate.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WALLASEY55

Travellers are raving about these Shifnal hotels

Deal, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

This was the first motorway services hotel my boyfriend and I have ever checked in to, but on the return journey we checked in to a travelodge which is what Im comparing this too. If you read my other review on the The Regent Travelodge in Leamington Spa you will see I found neither satisfactory for the price paid. A double room cost £67.80 inclusive of a so called continental breakfast. The room itself faced straight out on to the car park which is rather busy as it is a motorway services, Junction 4, M54. However I quite liked this as it meant I could see my car from my room, as I was able to park in one of three spaces outside the hotel itself. No dinner is available so we ate in the services which were expectantly pricey. You can choose from a sandwich from WHSmiths, a hot meal from services eatry or Burger King. We had fish and chips from the services eatry which cost £7.49 thinking it would be more filling that Burger King but it wasn't the best we've ever eaten, fish was ok but chips and peas were less than great. Getting back to the room itself, the carpets were marked and stained making the room feel dirty. It would have been quite a generous size had someone not had the bright idea of putting a second double bed in the room, which meant movement was very limited and the second double bed was only a few inches off the floor on some sort of fold away frame, which also appeared to be buckled leaning to one side. The bed covers themselves were some sort of dusky pink and white shade which appeared faded and washed out but this may have been because of the colouring. I found a hair on the mattress sheet which is one of my pet hates and made me feel like the room was filthy. Speaking of filthy there was a stain of some sort on the wall which was visable in the right light, which also added to the feeling of dirt and an overall lack in hygiene standards. I found another hair in the plug hole of the bath which further made me feel very uncomfortable as I am a self confessed clean freak! To which I must point out that the only soap provided for washing hands was also provided as shower gel if necessary (thankfully we had our own on both accounts) (The shower gel one however was nearly empty) I am aware other people have stayed in these rooms but surely leaving hair in the plug hole is a general NO NO. The en suite itself smelt rather stale and peculiar but I think this is because the door remains closed and there are no windows. If the door is left open in the bathroom when in the shower it can set off the fire alarms which made me extra conscious of keeping the door shut at all times. The cups left for tea and coffee looked very dirty with some sort of sticky brown residue left in the bottom, so I was very glad neither my boyfriend or I am paticurly fond of hot drinks. There is a hairdryer in the room but it's no good for someone with thick curly hair like my own. The breakfast itself cost £4.95 which I felt was a bit pricey, considering it consisted of a mini box of cornflakes, some semi skimmed milk which is presented in plastic party cups, a croissant (which reminds me, we ordered one and recieved two, increasing their food waste for no reason) a muller amore yoghurt (which was actually a nice surprise as we weren't told it would come with a yoghurt but was lucky they gave us a flavour I liked (cherry) and my boyfriend doesn't eat youghurt which is just as well as the other flavour was honey and walnut (which is not for me). We also recieved a very ripe banana and some lovely orange juice but only good if you like fresh juice with bits! (Which my boyfriend doesn't) All in All I wouldn't stay here unless you're desperate and I really feel for the gentleman who wrote an email of complaint and was told basically he was mistaken! HOWEVER I can not recommend the reception staff more highly, they bent over backwards to help and were friendly and polite at all times.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HappyMotorist
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

As with almost all Days Inn I have stayed in both in the UK and the US the one at Telford provided excellent accommodation at a very reasonable cost. The rooms are large, the bathrooms include a bath and there is always a comfortable couch to sit on. Although there is no free wifi it is available at the service centre next door and breakfast is also available there. There is no hassle with parking and the staff are both friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank MoeLoveheart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shifnal
3.3 km away
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
#7 of 21 in Telford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,031 reviews

Been to Days Inn Telford Ironbridge M54? Share your experiences!