Swain House(Watchet)
US$109
US$105
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspavlovaapple piethe pubspecials boardcreaky floorboardsgenerous portionslovely mealexmoor national parkbank holidayfour postersunday lunchfull english breakfastpuddingfeel very welcomestayed for one nightcarverycarole
Reviewed December 14, 2014

Went to Relaghs Cross for a friends birthday, was greeted on arrival by a very polite barman who showed us our table and talked us through the menus, normal and specials. They even had a good vegaterian choice. Some of us chose from the menus and others chose to have the carvery choice. All food was bought out at the same time, I chose the Brie and cranberry wellington and was delicious. Service was good and wasnt to expensive, would defintely tell pople to visit

Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I stayed here after a wedding night recently. The service was very good, as the staff were both friendly and helpful. When checking in, the service was very prompt and I was given all of the details that I needed. It was a very enjoyable stay, as the facilities for the wedding were lovely, and also it was a very child friendly environment. Most of all, the food was cooked perfectly. I had the lamb with the rosemary and it was by far the best lamb I have tasted in a long time.

• Stayed: November 2014
Reviewed November 19, 2014

This is my third visit this and like before it was a fantastic,again. We enjoyed our stay the food, room and service was excellent as usual and what we expected from this country inn. They also have free wi-fi now, being so remote, I guess progress in the country is slow, no fault of the inn.Sitting in the restaurant one night ,the couple on the next table commented on the wi-fi, that relaghs cross finally has it, guess they must be locals, they seemed happy about it. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay once again. It really is excellent value for money and we will be back soon.

• Stayed: November 2014
Reviewed November 2, 2014

This is the kind of hotel I love. Set at the edge of Exmoor "out on its own" a country pub style building with a pub attached. The entrance to the hotel has dozens of "thank you" cards from former guests and one suspects that on going through to a residents' lounge (upstairs in fact) that Jane Marple or Hercule Poirot would be sitting in a corner quietly eyeing the gusts coming and going. Checking in an unusual process. My papers were "pre-filled" based on the deposit which had been required with the booking. What was surprising was the requirement that for my three night stay I had to pay the balance in full before I could be given the room key. No enquiry why I had booked for two adults but came alone (my daughter dragged into work so couldn't get away). Seems I had booked the Dinner Bed and Breakfast rate (and so had paid for two meals, two breakfasts for multiple nights).

The room was as expected. A little tired but not alarmingly so, but the shower over the bath could do with a hook for the handle. I used the toolkit from my car to fix the shower cable back to the bath taps though, as there were no staff around - one poor soul seemed to have to do everything at that stage. Beds very soft though. Wifi works well if slowly.

The bar works on the same "cash now" principle for residents and restaurant diners as did reception - charging items to the table for my group of diners was not possible and charging to my room was an unparalleled drama. One girl at the bar asked for her round of drinks to be put on the meal bill and was treated as if she had asked for the codes to the nuclear warheads of a hostile nation. I can understand this approach in a busy city-centre bar or a station buffet where people may just shoot off without paying. Given that the next town is something like ten miles away, and there isn't another building much nearer than three miles away, where do they think people are going to run to? Miss Marple or M Poirot, had she or he been there would have wondered whatever was going on.

Food in restaurant all OK - typical pub food circa 1985 - unadventurous but none the worse for that. Portions generous (the menu does warn of this). There is a carvery on some evenings for those who want that rather than an ALC menu. Service not the fastest, but that didn't matter as being on Exmoor there isn't much to rush off to of an evening!. The bar and restaurant is a large area and even though it was 20C outside, the fire was roaring and everyone was rushing round opening windows.

Breakfast is a standard self-service buffet comprising everything one would expect save that coffee is served. I was told I couldn't have mine until the rest of my group of four came in and had to point out that I was alone. Some debate ensued whereby the staff, pleasantly but firmly, assured me I had this wrong. Now whilst I realise I'm getting older, I suspect I would have remembered that I was part of a group if I were. But I wasn't. Worse, I had been part of a group of two, but was no longer. Weak coffee came eventually.

Checkout was prompt and efficient, but given the way things had been charged and deducted (meal allowance for the Dinner bed and breakfast) I have an almost incomprehensible bill and no way of knowing if it is or isn't right (good thing I spend my life in financial management). For the three nights, had two of us had six meals and six breakfasts, this would have been excellent value. As it was, the allowance for only meals for one seems to have been applied making this an expensive stay overall.

I would love to come back here. There is nothing amiss that a half-day brainstorm with an experienced hotelier, publican and restaurateur of this type and a handyman going round the rooms fixing stuff couldn't put right. As it is though, I have to offer a "poor" rating as the soft bed and what became poor value outweigh all else.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank mozart21
Reviewed October 21, 2014 via mobile

I was made to feel extreamly comfortable and welcome during my four day stay in the hotel. Apart from the friendly and helpful staff, the room itself was a clean and cosy haven, complete with television and a lovely tray of warm beverages. Peaceful, tranquil and excellent service. The best getaway solution from a busy life.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends