“Great Hotel - good rooms and facilities.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alton Towers Hotel

Alton Towers Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Alton
Maryport, England, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel - good rooms and facilities.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed in the Alton Towers Hotel 29th March 2012 and weren't disappointed. We had stayed at the Splash Landings Hotel a few times and have been quite impressed with it. This Hotel is better in many ways.
A little quieter the Splash Landings, maybe more suited to couples than families. Great facilities, good bars and places to eat.
Rooms have good big beds and I slept very well, desite having room at front of hotel above reception area. Bathrooms are basic but clean, shower is powerful a warm which is good and refreshing. Only point I'd consider that needs improvement is that the shower head is set quite low on the wall, anyone over 6 feet tall will need to point it upwards to get a good covering!

Everything is a little on the expensive side (as you'd expect when you are a captive audience) but service and quality are top whack. Ordered food in Secret Garden and was with us within 5 minutes, but wasn't mass produced rubbish, but a good quality meal. Breakfast too was excellent with a good selection of fares.

Will be back again soon (as soon as the wallet permits...)

Room Tip: Rooms have good big beds. Odd numbered rooms look out over the gardens, evens towards the car parks...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Hotel reception was welcoming, informed me about all the facilities in the hotel. My room was very clean and presentable with a nice touch of shaped elephant towel on the bed and novelty shower gel. My evening meal in the restaurant was very pleasant the waiter was very attentive and the food was lovely. After dinner I requested if I could be shown a couple of the themed rooms that they have in the hotel, a member of staff showed me quite a few of the rooms and they are brilliant the web pictures don’t do them any justice as the detail in them is great. I stayed in this hotel on a business trip to see if it was worth staying here for the weekend when visiting the park. I feel this hotel ticks all the boxes and I would defiantly stay here again on a work basis and for a weekend trip to visit the park.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank tracey B
surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at the hotel in March, two days before the park opened, and I must say I was very impressed. We had room 117, which was right at the end of a corridor and it was very quiet and peaceful. We had a king sized bed with 4 pillows and a set of bunk beds. There were tea and coffee making facilities, and complimentary biscuits. The bathroom was a good size, however could do with a bit of re-grouting in areas. There was also complimentary shower gel and shampoo and fish shaped bubble bath for kids staying. The towels were clean and fluffy, and we had more than enough for our one night. We ate in the hotel restaurant which had excellent food and was good value. We did consider the buffet in the Splash Landings hotel but this was £19.99 per person plus drinks, and we decided that our hotel restaurant was better value. We watched the entertainment in the evening and drinks next to a roaring fire in the bar. The drinks were reasonable value for a hotel, and the entertainment was good - we saw two singers, one who wanted to be Micheal Buble! We visited the Waterpark for half a day, which we felt was enough. Its good fun, and plenty for everyone so well worth a visit. All the staff we spoke to were incredibly helpful and friendly...but this was at the beginning of the season!

Room Tip: Ask for one one the higher floors, at the end of a corridor away from the entertainment and restaura...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma O
Ayrshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband & I are currently staying at the Alton towers hotel and paid £120 for our room which included a 20% discount plus breakfast and although everything from food to the staff is excellent, our major exception is the lack of quality in the bedrooms. Our bathroom is very basic and not particularly clean! Our toilet is leaking onto the floor & there is dampness on the bathroom ceiling. We then noticed our double bed is full broken springs and is not particularly comfortable. The quality of your room really effects your stay and I believe that at £120 per room (£135 full price) standards should be much higher. I will be making a full complaint on check out in the mornIng as we are only staying for one night and do not want the upheaval of being moved at this point!
If you do decide to stay here, complain straight away if your room is not up to standard

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Felixstowe, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

if your staying in the hotel don't pay @20 for their all you can eat and drink buffet. the food was terrible, I had beef balti (at least im assuming it was beef) one piece was dry as dry can be, another piece had more veins and arteries in it than the London underground and then my mate who also had some of the curry had 2 or 3 lumps of just pure fat. I then decided to try the paella, hmmm well the muscles where the size of peas and the paella itself was just bland and tasteless. so on too desert..... I had cheesecake which I love but this cheesecake was just mushy and looked awful (I think from what I know cheesecake has a nice crispy base) not this one. I didn't even bother entertaining the thought of trying it.

1 meal in splash landings was crap. and the breakfast in the alton towers restaurant was crap

the eggs are not even fried for breakfast, the sausages have about 5% pork in them the black pudding i had to soak in the baked beans to soften it up of which the beans tasted like they where coated in mud. the bacon had more salt content than the worlds largest salt flats... i can go on.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Stephen C
Andover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Returned to this hotel for a dance weekend after a successful trip last year. Very friendly welcome at front door from porter and very quick and efficient service from reception team. Our room was located quite close to reception but was very handy for attending all the events over the weekend. Room was very clean and tidy and had room for a double bed & bunks. beds were very comfy , and liked being able to open the window to let some fresh air in. Bathroom did look a little tired, some paint chipped and marked and some damp marks around the mirror. However there was plenty of clean towels and toiletries available. Have to say that the shower over the bath is a little on the small size, I am only 5ft 3 and slim and was touching the shower curtain so not sure how anyone bigger would fair. Despite its location it was fairly quite, only noise we heard was doors banging shut in the morning. We had a problem with the hotels wi fi, but reception staff were very helpful and came to check the settings on my laptop to see why it was not connecting. they have recently changed suppliers and were having problems when a lot of people were connected, however kept persisting and finally managed to get on. Nice that it was free. Meals were taken in the garden restaurant, as we were on a corporate weekend our meal choices were set, but we had a choice of 3 meals on each course. Service was great considering it was so busy, everyone was happy smiling and quick to take our orders. Was very impressed when asked about a friends dietary needs that a chef came out to speak to them and went through the whole menu to say what could be adapted to meet their needs . Food was good quality and well cooked. Breakfast was buffet style , and had a good range of both cooked and continental style . Its was always fresh, hot and well cooked again difficult to do with so many covers. They could do with a few more toast machines as every day there was a large queue here. Have to give high praise to all the staff many of whom were quite young, always smiling and very willing to help. Think the hotel is particularly aimed at the family market with the hotel decor , but we had a good comfy stay here and would certainly go again

Room Tip: If attending an event certainly rooms on first floor give you easy access to all the conference faci...
1 Thank TraceyS1964
Burton On Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband, myself, stepson and daughter-in-law to be all booked and stayed overnight for a Spa day on the 4 March to celebrate my stepson's birthday. On arrival (which was too early to check in) we left our bags with reception and went and registered with the Spa that we had arrived. I had booked the Spa lunch for the 4 of us @ £10 per head and we were asked to wait in the bar near the Secret Garden restaurant. The Spa lunch was superb and presented and served to a very high standard. Jade who served us was very friendy and professional. We then spent the afternoon in the Spa. We had a very relaxing afternoon followed by a treatment at the end of the day. Our dinner was booked for 20.00, again in the Secret Garden. Once again I cannot fault the quality of the food and the service. Everything was excellent and good value for money. The drinks and wine were all sensibly priced and not 'over the top' as like most hotels. I also had forgotten to request a birthday cake - but no problem whatsoever - Jade organised one to be brought out and served at the end of our main course. The cake tasted wonderful and when it was brought out with lit candles, a few of the staff all gathered around our table and sang 'Happy Birthday' to my stepson. It made his evening. Nothing was ever too much trouble to any of the staff. They were all very friendly, welcoming, helpful and professional. Their customer service is top class. We had a wonderful time and I would recommend this hotel to everyone of all ages. The only things which we all noted to improve our stay, but not as a complaint, would be the likelihood of the hotel being very busy at certain times - when we stayed it was a Sunday night and not at all busy, which we found to be quiet and relaxing. The bedrooms were spotless and pleasant but we did find the bed hard and not that comfortable - mind you our own bed at home is soft. The only other two things which could have made our stay even better then what it was, is the Spa could do with a larger conservatory and sunbeds to relax on as there is limited chairs and no recliner chairs to relax on - if it was busy there would not be enough seating space for everyone. Finally if we could have been allocated our room on arrival (which I know could be difficult if they were fully booked the night before) it would have been the 'iceing on the cake' as it would have meant we could have checked in on arrival and taken our bags straight to the room instead of having to collect the key after having our treatments and leaving the Spa. I know we all would not hestitate in returning and staying overnight again - perhaps next time when the theme park is open.

Room Tip: 3 floor and ask to be away from lifts and drinks machine
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
0.0 km away
BEST WESTERN Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent
19.0 km away
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!