Open today: 12:00 a.m. - 11:59 p.m.
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Alton Towers
from US$72.70
More Info
15,678 results
All reviews theme park cbeebies land fast track tickets big rides sky ride sonic spinball nemesis sub terra queue times ice age runaway train log flume free tickets thorpe park merlin pass park entrance end of the day longest queue
Reviewed 3 days ago

Went to Alton in October with my daughter and her friend, both young teenagers. As usual I bought tickets on line and a season pass as it was cheaper. Once there I had to join queue to get said passes only to be told I would need to go to this other queue to pick up season pass, then into the park to pick up didgi pass only to be told I would need to register at the reort box office then go across to the yellow digi kiosk where there was a fairly long queue, all this took time away from enjoying the park. We did manage all the rides over the course of two days, but I wish the organisers were a bit up to speed at organising. Loved the new ride Wickerman !!!!!

Reviewed 4 days ago

Fireworks spectacular, Alton towers never fails to impress with these , the only thing I did think they could have done better was after the fire works were finished and you could go back onto the rides was not organized properly, , felt like a bunch of herded sheep and was worried for my kids safety as every one was pushing to get to the front.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

Great day park only open 10-4 but was quite as locals not on holiday. Went in all the major rides at least once. Found food better than I remember especially the doughnuts!
Take an empty bottle with you, machine at park entrance for 50% off park entry so made the day so much more affordable for a family of 3

1  Thank jenmack04
Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

Visited for scarefest this year as I do every year and was not disappointed by the quality of the scare mazes once again! I would give this a 5 star review, however Alton Towers have decided to remove the single rider queues which is a big disappointment to me. It seems rather ridiculous, especially when you see empty seats on the rides! The new Wicker Man rollercoaster wasn't really worth the queue time, though was still a surprisingly good coaster.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Five of the main rides were broken on the day of our visit which meant that the huge queues were even longer than usual. We queued for an hour to get in and unfortunately every single thing we did involved hours of queuing. The app was inaccurate so when we decided to switch queues for a ride which apparently had no queue we still had to queue for hours. What a shocking experience. Alton Towers. The site is beautiful and in the past we've had great days here but it's a shoddy, broken experience now.

1  Thank SeedsOfAmpthill
Reviewed 1 week ago

booked for Alton Towers last week with the firework display - could only get Silver Fastrack when we got there as they had sold out but we did all the big rides and it was a sell out day - the firework display was the best I have ever seen, will definately be returning next year for this event. Only downside, its very very busy.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My wife and I moved to Ireland a year ago. When we lived in England we attended the last night fireworks on many occasions with our young daughters. They are now 26 & 36. We decided to treat our niece and nephew 8 &12 they were blown away by the theme park and especially the amazing fireworks.
Although the queuing was a bit of a bind.we stayed at the old hotel. It had not changed much. The rooms are getting a little tired. But the staff at the hotel were very helpful.
Although my wife and myself are 63. We will be returning next year when the kids are at school. And we will queue hopefully not to long. for the Whickerman ride.
Robert stannard

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The last Alton Towers fireworks I saw was for the launch of Nemesis. I knew that the display was going to be fantastic. It didn't disappoint. If you want to see the best display in the UK this is it. It beats new year on the Thames and it's longer.
25 minutes of amazing fireworks.
I do have two observations. First the lights are a complementary element to the fireworks. There were times when we couldn't see the fireworks because the lights were blinding us.
Secondly, £100 for three people is enough without stinging another £6 for parking. It was annoying as it's not mentioned until you're inside.
It was absolutely packed so it's not for those who don't like crowds. You are penned in for the display which isn't a great feeling.

1  Thank Stephen R
Reviewed 1 week ago

We purchased Merlin annual passes for the first (and last) time this year. We decided to take the children to the fireworks (fiasco), and as we live some distance away and needed a disabled access family room we had secured 2 nights in suitable accommodation back in April (these rooms are not easy to come by so need forward planning). We tried to pre-book tickets to ensure entry (we'd done the same at London attractions in the summer). Amazingly as a normal member of the public we could buy tickets, for both Scarefest and the fireworks, but the pre-book for pass holders was 'coming soon'. We had numerous communications with Merlin customer services regarding this and were reassured 'any day'. In fact months later the tickets finally appeared on-line and we spent the £5 per ticket to ensure we could access Alton Towers on our chosen date. No such tickets ever appeared for the Scarefest and so we had to either buy full priced tickets or take our chance in being able to get in (which we did). Luckily we bought the pre-booked tickets for the firework night as they sold out and we would have been refused entry at that point.

It's disgusting that pass holders are charged £5 to access an attraction that you have already paid for in the passes. The London attractions charge £1 for this purpose, which equates to £4 for a family of 4 and is manageable, but at £20 that's a day out (which you've already paid for). This is just a rip off by Merlin! It is just all about making as much money as possible and customer experience is not important.

We had a nightmare with parking - the disabled parking that we used on the Scarefest (a day earlier) was removed for £10 pre-booked priority parking on the firework day. At no point were we advised (despite numerous correspondences re disability to Merlin customer services) to book the parking etc and as such when refused entry to disabled parking we asked to speak to a manager and the member of staff swore in front of our children shouting "I'm not paid enough to take this ****" before walking off. At no point were we rude – we’d simply asked to speak to a manager! We were then threatened by the same member of staff 'to have our car towed away' as we parked there TEMPORARILY to speak to a manger and to try to purchase the parking, which was free the previous day, but was now not eligible for disabled travellers, but a priority purchase of £10. Nuts and bolts - queued 15 mins to get through the gate, then another 30 at customer services to speak to a manager. Finally spoke to a manager, tried to pay for parking, tried to complain about swearing staff - manager genuinely couldn't have cared less - in fact so much so he repeatedly walked off! So 2 hours later hubby moved car to normal car park having been promised he could pick me up again at the end of the day from the disabled / priority parking. THIS DIDN’T HAPPEN!! We were left in a hideous situation when I was abandoned by the staff (who'd wheel-chaired me out to the car park) at the end of the evening. I was left with my children in the cold for over an hour while my husband tried to get to me in our car (which he'd had to park in the normal car park). To add insult to injury I hadn’t even been taken to the correct drop off point – so the staff at the entrance to the disabled car park refused my husband entry and he had to argue for 15 minutes until they would let him in to collect us.

Aside from parking:
Queue times were ridiculous. Ride access passes are supposed to allow people who can't queue to virtual queue and gain access to the rides (without the need to stand in the actual queue). They are supposed to take into account the actual queue time so it is fair to all guests and so everyone can access the park, regardless of disabilities. THIS SYSTEM IS SO BROKEN AT ALTON TOWERS THE NORMAL QUEUES ARE QUICKER THAN THE DISABLED ONES! Add insult to injury after waiting longer than the normal queue they then put a time on your card to stop you joining another queue for an allocated amount of time – WHY?? If the system was working and you hadn’t just queued longer than the normal queue that would be perfectly correct, but as the system is broken you are now stood as long / if not longer than the normal queues and are now restricted to enter another queue SO YOU ARE FURTHER PENALISED.

Even using the Ride Access Pass the wait was up to 2 hours. It was so bad we bought fast pass tickets as we thought that would be quicker - WRONG. Runaway minetrain fast track queue was over 1 hour 20 minutes - probably as long as the normal queues, so why pay the extra £20 that we did for such a non-privilege!

After waiting for almost 2 hours for wicker man we reached the platform, but the ride had broken down so there were further delays, then VIP pass holders (who had been ushered to the platform through the exit) were put on the ride. I have no problem with that – they’ve paid a massive price for their tickets, but come on ALTON TOWERS at least treat everyone with the same humanity!! At this point I was so desperate / in pain and overdue medication that I needed to step out of the queue to administer it in private. I asked the attendant if I could do this and come back the same route the VIPS did. I was told 'no it wouldn't be fair on other guests', which I found disgusting as I wasn't trying to cheat the queues and had already queued for over 2 hour - I was on the platform and had the ride not broken down and had the VIPs not been pushed through then I would have ridden 20 minutes earlier. It was a choice of take my now overdue medication or take the serious consequences of delaying taking it even further – so I therefore left without riding!

Regarding Fireworks - lots of rides closed hours before the fireworks - no idea why - it just increased the other queues to exponential levels, so much so that the toilet queue was over half hour and as for food and drink - like the burger /coffee stalls - well we gave it up as an impossible feat. We abandoned rides and food and took to the lawns with plenty of time (an hour and a half in fact). Over the time until the fireworks started it became so manic that the children were pushed about, stood on and had people generally squash them to uncomfortable levels. The fireworks were OK, but the conditions for viewing were unsafe and I would NEVER GO AGAIN!!

BUT WORST OF ALL: After the fireworks we tried to leave - to find that they were in effect using police crowd control Kettling - people were crushed into small areas and prohibited from moving in any direction. It was so manic my children were almost separated from us by a jostling group of bokes (who literally pushed through knocking anyone in their way either forward or to the side) - which was a very distressing experience. We managed to find another route out of our current ‘pen’ - by going back to the lawns, and eventually made our way out of the park - only to find the same kettling system in the car parks. As I waited at the priority / disabled parking I saw an elderly gentleman on 2 sticks being told he had to walk up and around the top of the car park when his car was in clear visibility just a few feet in front of him. The man could hardly walk and yet there was no humanity shown to him at all. Husband had similar ‘kettling’ experience all the way back to the car where they had penned off areas to restrict flow. This didn’t make it safer – it just meant there were more people in a smaller area and some of whom were quite bolshie and forceful with small children being shoved about. I GENUINELY FELT IT WAS UNSAFE!!

I WILL NEVER VISIT GAIN AND ADVICE EVERYONE WITH DISABILITY TO AVOID VISITING ON ANY OF THE BUSY EVENTS - THERE IS NO INCLUSION / PROVISION FOR YOU ON THESE DAYS. DISGUSTED DOESN’T EVEN BEGIN TO ADDRESS MY FEELINGS.

11  Thank rebecca c
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We got Merlin passes for this season and it was the best money we have spent in a while. Alton Towers is definitely our favourite park as it has a lovely mix of thrill rides and family rides. Yes, you have to queue but that is just part and parcel of going to a theme park and people complaining about it are a little out of touch if they think that a business like Towers can afford to stay open and reduce capacity to cut queue times - it’s busy because it’s popular and you can use the queue app to work out a decent plan of action for the day. My advice, get there first thing, do at least two big coasters as soon as it opens and do smaller rides throughout the middle of the day and then get into the queue for a big coaster just before the park closes.
It’s a great park for theming, beautiful landscape and some reasonable food deals (pizza/pasta buffet is good value for a theme park).
Can’t wait until it all opens again in March!