All reviews beer garden spa bath the pub stayed here hoar cross hall friendly locals already booked for next year small play area for children be booking again potted history peas nice village longer stay scampi two double beds attic room duck egg
Reviewed May 14, 2017

Shuttling up and down between the West Country & Derbyshire as our aged mother-in-law declined, we got fed up with chain hotels and tried to branch out. This was one of our successes. A bit out of the way but immediately welcoming, friendly and comfortable. The food evening & morning was top quality pub grub. A great place to unwind. Ant advice? Yes, the man who does everything can talk for Britain and is good company but make sure that before you get involved, you have your glASS TOPPED UP!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with two chairs if there are two of you
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Nikki B, Owner at The Shoulder of Mutton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2017

Hi Peter,
Thank you so much for your great review & rating :) . We certainly had a good titter at your comments - So true! I've made a note to remind Brian to check drinks before waffling on! Sorry if you ran dry :) . We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us & hope you can come & visit us again soon.
Nikki, Brian & Team

Reviewed May 7, 2017

I was misled completely when I booked this pub. The car park is on the other side of the road. I was put in an attic room up two flights of stairs with two labradors! When I asked if there was a room on a lower floor I was told no, despite having booked over a month in advance. I had to carry dog beds and all my stuff up and down the stairs - it was awful. The room was very dated and the bathroom was awful too - with an energy saver light, no window and no light for the mirror, nor was there a shaver point. There were no tissues or water in the room. No window to open for the dogs - just a sky light that didn't stay open. Had I been told that the only room available was in the attic I could have cancelled and gone elsewhere. So - I feel misled and deceived. The food was awful and the menu I was shown is not the same as on the website. Breakfast was OK but I couldn't wait to get out of the place if I am honest.
If I hadn't driven for 3 hours to get there and wasn't so tired I would have got straight back in the car and found somewhere else to stay!!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Melanie B
Nikki B, Owner at The Shoulder of Mutton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2017

Hello,
Normally I would respond directly to the guest of our Inn, but in this case I feel I must direct my response to any potential customer and they should know certain circumstances:
I am very surprised at this review as when the guest stayed with us we did our utmost to make her & her pets stay a comfortable one, as we always do. Her wellbeing & comfort were asked about on many occasions during the stay, and to air her apparent grievances this way is wholly unfair.
Our car park for the pub is across the road, yes, but a mere 5 paces from the front door, WS15 3RZ if you wish to look! :) The room was booked through a booking agent where all details are provided including photos of the room, so how she was misled is a mystery. The guest actually booked for double occupancy so we reduced the total by £10, something we didn't need to do as she had accepted the price from the booking agent.
We upgraded the lady to a larger room (opposite) as the two dogs were with her (a room frequently used by other dog owners with absolutely no problem in access). We were asked about another room but unfortunately our lower rooms were booked further in advance than a month by two families, we were not able to move 4 guests (who had already stayed one night) into a room for 3 & explained the situation with apologies, subsequently upon payment only one dog was charged for rather than two, a further reduction of £5. We were grateful that the lady bought her pet's beds with her to reduce dog hairs/dirt in the rooms & assistance with baggage was offered but refused.
The room itself is a large perfectly serviceable room with a double & single bed & plenty of added touches including complimentary towels, lots of tea, coffee, decaf coffee, hot chocolate, alarm clock, fan, free toiletries, bedside lighting, etc.- all the things you would expect in a guest room. The bathroom is of a fair size with a double sized shower, agreed it does not have a window but if the light is left on it increases in brightness to the same as a 100watt standard light, this was also explained when shown to the room. We have a shaver plug which runs from a normal socket if requested, it wasn’t. We don't supply tissues or water in the room as there is always at least two toilet rolls in the bathroom & we have a bar downstairs with all the extra sundries anybody would need available for purchase. The skylight in the room is of a type where the whole window rotates to be fully opened and there is no problem with the mechanism, the window stops at any point before rotating fully.
For her evening meal the lady chose to eat in the bar area rather than in the dining room and ordered after a table of 10 had ordered, & so she wasn’t having to wait, the order was pushed forward so she was served her meal of freshly cooked butterflied Chicken breast with Bacon, Barbecue Sauce & Melted Mature Cheddar, Chunky Gourmet Chips (fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside) & freshly cut Salad, first. Nothing leaves our kitchen without being exactly as described on the menu, which changes daily as everything is cooked from scratch, the menu on our website is a sample menu to inform customers of the type of meals available when they visit us.
With regards to the lady’s other comments about ‘not being told it was an attic room’, the room was booked by the lady without any other requests than bringing her two dogs with her who do not get on the furniture. The room itself spans the whole building front to back & has a ceiling height of 7 ½ feet in the centre with slopes to the eaves, a room that 3 adults plus their pets have used with plenty of room and we have received very good reviews for. What is not mentioned in the review above is the fact that although being told the dogs were very welcome in the bar the lady chose to leave them in cages in the car, we also gave directions to an enclosed field in the village away from livestock where the dogs could be let off their lead for a run without fear of them disappearing or worrying any wildlife, which in the lady’s own words was ‘invaluable & a very good asset’. During the lady’s stay, other than being upset about two flights of stairs, absolutely NO complaint was made to ourselves about any of the points above, at mealtime she was asked twice during her meal whether it was to her liking and also when the plate was cleared away, EMPTY but for a piece of bacon fat. Again when paying (a total of just £60 plus food & drinks for herself, 2 dogs and breakfast included) she was asked whether everything was ok with her stay and again there was no complaints then either.
It wasn’t until I stripped the room of the bedding that I realised the dogs had been on the single bed as this also needed changing, the curtains were hanging from the top rail on only two curtain rings, the bottom curtain rail had been broken with the wooden finial from the end of the rail chewed, the shower used for washing the dogs in, and the Egyptian cotton towels used for drying them. We endure this as a matter of course, replace and renew with costs being covered by the business, but no mention of any ‘accidental’ damage was made before the lady left.
After reading other reviews the lady has left for other businesses, who otherwise have good reviews, I believe we got away lightly! I have no doubt that the lady will not return, but her beautiful dogs are welcome anytime! (As long as they don’t chew the new curtain pole!)
I will just let our other reviews speak for themselves & let potential customers/guests make up their own minds.
Nikki Barlow
Very proud business owner 

Reviewed May 5, 2017 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in the two first floor rooms. Both rooms were spotless and well equipped..all staff whether management or not were professional and extremely friendly...the food was some of the best 'pub grub' any of us had ever had, both evening meal and breakfast..the only problem was that we were so full in the morning that we could not manage a full English..we all agreed that to say we recommend the shoulder of mutton doesn't do justice to how wonderful this place is ..

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Nikki B, Owner at The Shoulder of Mutton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2017

Hi All the Knights!!
So glad you enjoyed your stay here, thank you so much for the lovely review :) We hope you enjoyed your Arboretum trip & Lichfield is wonderful if you have a good day to go shopping & visiting the attractions, here's to your return visit!
Nikki, Brian & all the Team

Reviewed May 1, 2017 via mobile

Me and my girls friend stayed here when we attended a friends wedding near by. The pub is very clean and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. We explained the wedding venue was about 15 minutes away and could they arrange a taxi. The gentleman explained a taxi would cost about £20 so offered to give us a lift. He even offered to pick us up later if we got stuck. Breakfast was amazing and literally couldn't find any faults in what was a wonderful stay.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Nikki B, Owner at The Shoulder of Mutton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2017

Hi!
Thank you so much for the fantastic review & rating! We hope you enjoyed the wedding to the full & had a pleasant journey home :)
Nikki & Brian

Reviewed April 26, 2017

We have now stayed at The Shoulder of Mutton on a number of occasions and yet again received a lovely welcome. Really nice room, comfy bed and in the morning, we enjoyed a delicious, home cooked, huge breakfast. Nothing is too much trouble for the owners and they even rustled up some sandwiches on the Sunday night for us to enjoy. Highly recommend for value for money and very good accommodation and food. We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hmc010
Nikki B, Owner at The Shoulder of Mutton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2017

Hi!
Thank you so much for the lovely review, So glad you managed to book the superkingsize room this time, hopefully you had plenty of opportunity to use the whirlpool spa bath. We hope you had a pleasant journey back south & look forward to your next visit.
Best Wishes