New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A Damp cardboard box smelling of dog wee is more appealing” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Normanton Park Hotel

Normanton Park Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Croydon
Normanton Park Hotel
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Croydon
Limbo
“A Damp cardboard box smelling of dog wee is more appealing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2009

As several people have said the website photo of the hotel is a little out of date.
Pulling up at the hotel we were greeted by the site of 2 rotton austin maxis rusting away peacefully in the front yard, and one of them was road taxed this we thought should be a sign of what to expect and it certainly was the reception area was full of old pictures old dying plants and a unering sense of death, the bedroom shared a radiator with the bathroom none of the electrical items had been tested since the great war the bed was damp and the furniture had the look of being pulled out of a skip in a thunderstorm.
after staying the night rocking back and forth on the edge of the bed screaming GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS we managed to escape its evil clutches and arrive for our meeting looking dishevelled and smelling slightly damp.
Even Ray Mears couldnt survive this place for 2 nights!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank vincentkarloff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lincolnshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

Please be ware!!!! Mr Pocock owes our Company over £600. We sent a cheque for the full amount which was agreed would not be banked until after our stay. Due to our job being cancelled we had to cancel the Hotel this was done within the alloocated time. All the other Hotels we have cancelled have all honoured their arrangements and sent the full amount back. After numerous phone calls still no cheque and after reading all the reviews on this place do not stay here!!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
6 Thank MaggieLincolnshire
surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

I checked into this 'hotel' after finding it on-line. The first thing that was overwhelming was the almighty stench which appeared to be coming from an old man named, Ronald Pocock, who was purporting to be the owner. After waiting for sometime for Mr Pocock to return he showed me to my room. Once again, the stench was unbearable and there was a drunk person yelling demanding alcohol. I went to tell Mr Pocock I would not be staying and would like a full refund which had been taken over the telephone. Mr Pocock became very agitated and said he would need to speak to the accounts department, I found this rather comical as it was clear this hovel is a one man band. After, patiently waiting for over an hour, I decided to cut my lossses and leave never to return and I beg all of you to do the same...this place needs to be condemned....

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
7 Thank cazpearl2003
Kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2008

The place stinks and I felt dirty after one night staying there - I didnt even want to get into the bed and spent the night on top of the bed which wasnt much better with my coat over me - the carpets were absolutely nasty - I was booked in for breakfast but didnt want to eat there and just got out the next day as fast as I could with the stench still in my nostrels - shocked that it hasnt been closed down - stay well away

• Liked — Leaving the next day
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
9 Thank supergran0606
derbyshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2008

Having seen the picture of the hotel on the internet we thought it looked nice so booked one night for the purpose of attending a 50th birthday party. When we gave the taxi driver the name Normanton Park Hotel he started laughing, this should have been a warning! On arrival we were amazed to find rusting cars littering what must have once been a garden. On entering what I suppose was the reception we were first hit by a terrible smell Mr Pocock shuffled towards us, an unclean looking figure with long grey hair with added yellow streak! We were shown to our bedroom which was not en suite as arranged then shown the bathroom down the corridor. I have never smelt anything so disgusting in my life.

As it was late afternoon we felt we would not be able to find an alternative at such short notice. We headed into Croydon and bought soap towels air freshener and pillow guard to try and make the stay less revolting.

After the party we reluctantly left civilisation and returned to our awful room where the first thing to make its presence felt were the springs in the mattress.

How in the age of inspectors can somewhere like this be allowed to stay open.

DO NOT GO THERE!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — disgusting smell
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank DerbyshireJosalyn
Hull, East Yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2008

I booked this hotel for one night in March as my Husband, myself and my mother in law had to go to a funeral, when I found this hotel on the internet I must admit it looked a lovely hotel and looked very appealing, so I telephoned Mr Pocock and to my surprise he wanted payment for the one night in full, I reluctantly did this.
When we arrived at the hotel, shocked was an understatement.
There was old cars parked in the front, the net curtains was rotton (a give away in my book) and when we entered the property and Mr Pocock came out to greet us, well you would never believe it, he had longish grey hair, a beard, old pants and shoes where his toes were hanging out, the tables as you walked in had those plastic table cloths on them which looked as if they had'nt seen the sight of a cloth for a while and my husband asked what we thought was the chef where would we be if we had decided to have breakfast there, he replied in broken english behind you, it was in the lobby, does he not have a room for meals etc., ??
When we were shown to our rooms I suppose the sheets on the beds were clean, but if you looked out of the window (at the back) low and behold more old cars, a swimming pool overrun with grass so in our opinion we had booked a total DOSS HOUSE.
If anyone finds the Normanton Park Hotel, Croydon on the website give it a wide berth DO NOT GO NEAR IT.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Jacs50
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2008

On 4th February I spoke to Mr Ronald Pocck at Normanton Park Hotel, 34 –36 Normanton Road CR2 7AR. His contact telephone numbers [--].

I said to him that I would like to make a months booking from 22/02/08 – 21/03/08 but I would like to pay a week at a time and would get back to him to confirm the booking. He said that he would give me discount rate and wanted me to pay for the 4 weeks stay there and then, but I was reluctant to do that then he said he would take payment two weeks instead £250. He said cancelling the booking would not be a problem.

My circumstances changed on 5th February and I rang him to cancel my booking and asked for a refund. He said he could not give me a refund and he would need to speak to his accountant first.

Well I did not hear from him so rang him on 07/02/08 and he said I would need to call him back on 11/02/08 because he would have spoken to his accountant by then. I decided to go to his hotel on 08/02/08 and informed him that I would like to cancel the unconfirmed booking and request a refund. He said to me that he has not had time to speak to his accountant but would do so and call me. Well he never called me. I rang him again on 09/10/08 and he said he had still not spoken to his accountant.

I have still not received any paper work for the booking or cancellation and this has made me suspicious so I called him on the evening of 11/02/08 to request a refund he told me that he was sick and could not speak to his accountant and put the phone down on me.

He stole £200 from me and only gave me £40 refund.

• Liked — Notthing
  • Disliked — The Owner
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank skywalker8