“Very Comfortable - will definitely go back”

Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
York, United Kingdom
“Very Comfortable - will definitely go back”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed for one night, for a gig nearby in March 2012

The room was exceptional - much more than I expected for the price.

It is right in the centre of a small town, and very easy to find/park. Excellent reception, and professional staff.

The bed was incredibly comfortable - we got an excellent night's sleep.

It is a 3 star hotel, begging to be 4 star - it has a posh looking restaurant and wine list - with the most beautiful lounges, and 'olde worlde beams', 17th century murals, and lovely decor.

We had some bar snacks before the gig, but had to wait 50 minutes, and when they turned up - they were cold. £20 for 2 cold sandwiches and cold chips knocked a star off my rating :)

But hey, I'm being picky, and this was a great place to stay for 1 night

It would be my first choice hotel, the next time I go to Farnham for a gig

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
BUSHFarnham, Front Office Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear ChrisD42,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Farnham Bush. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I will also make our new Head Chef aware of your concerns about your bar snacks. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasurable as the previous one.

Yours sincerely,

Joshua Adolph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Have eaten at the Bush for many years, going back to Trust House Forte 1970,s. So know it well. We booked in for the special 3Course Mothers Day Lunch. Six of us experienced the NEW way of hotel food.
Starters were poor quality-even the prawn&god knows what salad was served in miniscule , very fragile wine glasses. Not at all the way one would expect. So bad, one glass was broken (Big Chip) before it was served. Pointed this out to the very young waitress-clearly an untrained student hired for the day. She looked, said "Oh, I will get you another one". This was declined.
The mains were presented on child size plates complete with meat,veg,&very little gravy.
They looked very poor-what a way to serve Sunday Roast! The food was quite tasteless, and very obviously bought in pre-cooked boil in the bag produce, undoubtedly supplied by a supplier like 3663 or Brakes.
We observed reactions on other tables. Most were oblivious and happy, probably because their ages were in the late 70,s and 80,s! Others like us were having problems with the food and service. Can,t blame the students, but Mercure clearly operating on The Cheapest Labour and Food for this one SPECIAL DAY!
Desserts were a joke and when we asked for a bottle of sparkling water, the poor server was sent back froim the bar with a bottle which was quite warm- beyond room temperature. We asked him to get a cold bottle. He returned from the bar saying "This is the only one we have" It was obvious to us that the sole barman could not be bothered to get fresh stock from the cellar. We sent it back.
The whole lunch was a disaster. We paid our bill even though a childs meal had been added, which was not ordered nor received.
WE did complain but felt so sorry for these untrained students. We asked for the General Manager, to be told he was having problems in the kitchen. A man with light blue collar & tie did come out of the kitchen looking stressed. We thought- no poor chap, we will not give him more stress.
Hence we are recording this here.

Room Tip: DO NOT eat in- Visit one of many local Restaurants in Farnham.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CastleBoy50

Travellers are raving about these Farnham hotels

LIVERPOOL
Reviewed 27 March 2012

first time stayed at this hotel. didn't no what to expect reading some of the reviews on here. location was excellent right in the heart of the town, Decor was a bit run down but the room was excellent. Stayed in better hotels but worth the money. Staff and service was excellent, very friendly and helpful. Would stay there again.

Dear Cags28,

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Yours sincerely,

London
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at the Bush Hotel because we had a wedding to attend in Farnham castle. We were initially looking for a B&B but gave up because of cost and mixed reviews. The Bush Hotel was actually a good compromise. Our room was very good value - I think we paid just over £60 a night without breakfast.

The hotel is built around an old historic building and has quite a cute and atmospheric bar (the kind for having a quiet drink in the evening) although we didn't get to drink there because we were too busy with wedding stuff. Our room (and I imagine the majority of the cheaper rooms) are in the more modern extension. This had little character besides the quirky room names (e.g. the "Smallman room") but the room itself was clean, comfortable and modern. The shower had good water pressure and heat. Only small niggles were the toilet didn't flush every time and the second set of towels was for some reason hidden on the top shelf of the wardrobe - I almost called reception to complain when my much taller husband spotted them (if it was just me, I would have had to climb on a chair to have any chance of seeing them).

We didn't eat at the hotel. Instead we took advantage of the lovely spring weather and sat in a nearby cafe with a courtyard enjoying breakfast in the sunshine.

The service at reception was very friendly and prompt at check-in and check-out.

In summary - this is a mid range chain hotel so you can't expect luxury but for the price it is excellent value with very clean and comfortable rooms.

Dear Zeenz,

Thank you for your knid comments regarding your saty at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with the rest of teh team abd also make our housekeeping department aware of the hidden towels.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Farnham Bush.

Yours sincerely

March, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I reserved a disabled room and double checked it on the day prior to arrival. When I arrived I had to park in the overspill. I phoned reception to ask for help with my bags but told nobody was available. So I had to hobble with my walking stick, bag and suitcase and it took me 20 minutes to get to reception. Whilst hobbling two members of staff saw me, looked and walked off without offering any help. When I got to reception they found someone to take my bag. My room was so far away the walk took me 10 minutes - by which time I was exhausted and in agony! The usual excuse is because its near a fire escape but there were several closer to reception. Then I found that the disabled features were a small grab rail in the bath. There was no emergency bell pull, no toilet grab bars, no accessible shower/wet room or even a bath board. The sink plug didn't work, there was a saggy settee, the duvet was lumpy and one of the bed posts was broken. The room was clean though. The path to the conference centre was horribly eneven and poorly lit at night. This is the only more or less flat entrance there are no rails or ramp an the front. I had to hang onto an old pillar to drag my case and me up the front steps. I told all this to a staff member on leaving and they found someone to take my case to the car. Thank god it was only an overnight stay - Never again!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
UK
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Hotel is average for price, the attic rooms are truly dreadful, single beds that sag, and and generally tired throughout and in need of a makeover.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
HASLEMERE
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The worst meal that we have eaten in years, truly appalling. Not a single redeeming feature. And the hotel generally is grotty and run d

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
BUSHFarnham, Front Office Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Melissa O,

Please accept my apologies for the hotel not meeting your expectations. I would like to talk to you more about your experience at the Mercure Bush. Please call me on 01252 715237 or if your if can e-mail me on H6621-RM@accor.com.

Regards

Joshua Adolph
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
1.2 km away
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,818 reviews

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!