Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Angel View Inn(Gateshead)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewssteam roomfour poster beddriving rangesunday lunchgreat nightthe ground floorevening mealcouldn't faulttea and coffeeone night stayfull englishtreatmentfitchfacilitiescarterorangerywedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights, reception and check in was all smooth, room was nice and had a lovely comfy bed. However, one of the first things I noticed in the room was a false nail left on the floor from the previous guest which was slightly off putting. There was a wedding or party happening downstairs which was really loud into the room but it didn’t bother us too much however when someone attending the party came into the room next to us at 4:30am we discovered that the walls are paper thin and we could hear every single word they said clear as day. Usually this sort of thing wouldn’t bother us but it really takes the aspect of privacy away as you know anything you say/do your neighbours can hear. Overall the hotel is nice but I don’t think I would stay in this particular hotel again

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
note123, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Traveller 6999
As you mentioned we are currently undergoing refurbishments and this issue will be addressed assuring your complete privacy
Please do consider trying us again

Kind regards

GM

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Ok I liv next to the hotel and use the pool spa on a regular basis been a musician I use the spa to chill it's nice to meet the guests and the regular members of the gym are cool the hotel itself is surrounded by trees and lots of nature its also got a unique restaurant called Carter&fitch I have never been in there but plan to in the future it's got a real pizza fire oven looks amazing and it's got a golf club what is very popular anyway the reason I'am leaving this review is to let the management know that I have been impressed with a new member of staff every time I visit this spa this girl has got a mop in her hand and is very polite she is a asset to the hotel one golden member of staff is worth four I think her name is Sally anyway just wanted to let the owners know you got a star in the making .

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo

Dear Djnigeo
Thank you so much for your very kind words we are ever developing our teams and I am pleased that you have seen the benefit of our improvements

We hope to see you more often

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed in this hotel since everything else in the area was fully booked. My stay was ok but the hotel itself is getting a bit old so it's average at best. The rooms, even though a bit old-fashioned, were ok. Bed was good. Average breakfast. On-site restaurant is ok.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Craig C, Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good afternoon

As you would have seen during your stay signs etc up around the hotel explaining we are currently undergoing a refurbishment, which will update the hotel.
Upon your next visit you will see the changes

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed for a few nights for a family wedding the room was comfortable and well cleaned each day staff was all friendly breakfast was good HOWEVER be warned the hotel is going through a referb and we were told work was between 9 and 4 we were woken on the last morning at 8 by builders that sounded like they were knocking through our ceiling. staff were very apologetic but not a good end to our stay. I'm sure we would have enjoyed our stay more had building work not been happening

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Dear Scrum down
My apologies for our exuberant builders, they certainly seem to work on a different time scale to the rest of us
The only positive is that in just a few more weeks our Hotel is going to look fabulous and I truly hope that you will allow us the opportunity
to show you how fabulous we will look
Should you be visiting the area gain please do contact me personally

GM

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I recently visited for 3 nights whilst I was away with work, I picked this hotel on booking.com as it looked very modern and had a luxury feel too it. This was the complete opposite when I arrived.. as I walked to my room there was a sign on the door saying “sorry we don’t look our best right now we’re having a facelift” customers should be informed over this before booking. I was so shocked when I walked into my room as saw how dated it was. I sent my friends the pictures when I booked it and they was shocked with what I actually walked into.
The room was very very dated, chains were on the door, the furniture and curtains looked like they’d been up since the early 2000’s. I went and complained at reception, the guy was very helpful and agreed to move me for my second night. My new room was more modern but you could still tell it wasn’t a complete refurbed room. I really don’t get why they have chains on the doors.. it’s 2018 guys. Instead of a king size bed it was two single beds pushed together which was a little uncomfortable. Although I was happier with the room, it just was nothing that I expected it to be if I had of known it was like this I wouldn’t of booked this hotel. If you aren’t bothered about dated rooms then you’ll be fine.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Good afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback.
We are currently undergoing a refurbishment on some of our rooms as well as adding more rooms to the hotel.
We agree so of our rooms are slightly dated but as you can understand we can’t close the full hotel to do full refurb.
Our king beds are zip and links which a lot of hotels use as they can be changed to twins if needs be however they are normally comfortable which I need to look into.
As for chains on doors yes they are obsolete however some lone travelers find it comforting as an extra level of security for them.
We apologise for not meeting the standards expected as we do strive to be the best.