“Must do a lot better”

The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlecote
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 October 2017

On checking out the receptionist asked if we had enjoyed our stay. My reply was that it had been "interesting" which hid a multitude of issues but at the time the only one I expanded upon was the unavailability of many of our food choices the previous evening - after all, it was not as if the poor girl could do anything at that stage.

First impressions were not too bad as we met our friends in the bar area and had a pleasant drink with them. We then went to our rooms which were in the converted farmhouse at the front of the complex - most of the rooms are in separate buildings to the reception/bar/restaurant area. As we crossed the courtyard we noticed a sign for the swimming pool which came as a surprise as this was not included on the hotel details - but more of this later. We entered the old farmhouse to be met with a very strong musty smell in the hallway. Then into our room which was described as a "superior room" - I would hate to see a standard room. The carpet was old and stained, furniture old and in need of updating, the small table was wobbly as one of the legs had the bottom piece missing which meant we had to cobble together a wedge to stop it wobbling. The bed - a four poster no less - must have had curtains on the side at one stage as there were hooks there but no curtains (our friends bed did) and lights in the top cover. After searching high and low for the switch to turn them on we eventually discovered that the wiring was not connected up - no romantic twinkly lights then. Curtains had rips in them.

We then went exploring to find the pool and there was one! But alas not useable - see photograph. I don't think it had been used for many a month. We then found the tennis court - which had been advertised - but the surface looked lethal. You would be in danger of breaking your neck if you were brave enough to try and play tennis. The surface was covered in moss and slime. It should be off limits until properly cleaned.

Anyway - we were all looking to forward to dinner - what fools. We were ordering off the set menu as we were on a deal although we could order from the a la carte menu for a supplement. Two or us ordered the mackerel starter and two the tart - the tart was not available. So that would be four mackerel then. Err - no. Only two available. Sorry, but you can order from the a la carte menu with no supplement. Thank you. We'll have two seafood platters please. Sorry, only one left. The ladies then ordered melon and parma ham. The melon was cut in very thin wedges with the outer layer of the melon still on which then of course had to be cut off which proved very fiddly. Looked pretty but difficult for the customer to eat properly. Main courses off the a la carte menu and were not bad (sirloin steak/duck x 2/lamb shank). Served with seasonal vegetables - two pieces of asparagus and a carrot or, just one piece of asparagus with the lamb shank. Really? Seasonal vegetables plural- and asparagus? Out of the freezer.

On to dessert. No apple tart. So again we could order off the a la carte menu. I think everything had just off the cart from the supermarket. I am convinced that not one of them had been made in the kitchens on site.

Back to the rooms - very hot so turned the heating off and a bit noisy as on the front next to the fairly busy road. But - the bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.

Breakfast - as others have mentioned, no yoghurts on display and fruit limited to prunes and grapefruit segments. Straight to the full English then which I enjoyed although my wife and our friends were not. They might have lost the will to live by this point. Cups but no saucers - what's all that about?

Pros - comfy bed
- most of the staff who did their best and were quite friendly and chatty

Cons - everything else

This hotel has a great location and could have so much going for it - but they need to get their act together.

Room Tip: We had rooms 9 and 10 on the first floor at the front of farmhouse building. So some road noise and...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Thank you for the review for your recent over night stay, I'm sorry that we ghad ran out of some items on the table d Hote Menu, and you were given upgrade to Our A La Carte Menu at no cost, I would just like to add that all food is prepared and cooked the Property and not from A Super Market Cart ! The Outdoor swimming pool has not been in use for 7 years and is planned for development in 2018, I shall investigate all your other comments with the various Heads of Department and Team members
Regards John

Reviewed 23 October 2017

As I see from other reviews, Room No. 1 has an issue that if anyone is staying above, it sounds like elephants tromping about and as they do the floor squeaks. Unfortunately for us, the ones above were up to around midnight and then got up early the next morning so we only got a few hours of sleep. The breakfast (not included in $$$ priceof room), was expensive and very average. We were fortunate to get the last parking spot in the lot but was several hundred yards away from our room. The hall outside the room smell like mildew, and fortunately the room smell fine. All things about the room were okay, other than being able to sleep. Oh, by the way, ignore the signs that say swimming pool, there is no pool. Also for the price, they claimed they did not have any standard rooms left, so I had to cough up and extra US$50 for a pretty standard room.

Room Tip: make sure you don't have any one above you.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review of your recent overnight stay, we are sorry that your sleep was disturbed with the occupants of the room above , room 1 is a superior room and not standard, £9.95 for breakfast buffet with tea and coffee is very reasonably priced with our competitor's. I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed by the other guests should you wish to return I shall ensure that you are located in a quiet superior room
Kind regards John

Reviewed 22 October 2017

The Hotel and location is wonderful, the breakfast too was very nice but that is where it ends.

We arrived and struggled to find a car parking space, lots of parking but not enough to cater for everyone.

The restaurant was a big let down to the hotel. On our first night we had finished our three course meal within 30 minutes. The service was far too fast and the quality was poor. I ordered fish and chips for my main course and it looked like a piece of fish from a cheap freezer food supermarket. I struggled to cut through the rubbery batter and it was served up warm but not hot.

On the second night I had to comment to staff that my starter looked like it had been dropped and brushed up back onto the plate. It was the smallest starter I have ever been offered in my life. The waitress laughed and said it was the cooks fault and not hers. She did later apologise for laughing but from this point the atmosphere went cold.

We were offered the desert menu yet 30 minutes later I had to ask again. At this point we then spoke to a kindly man who we believe was a supervisor. He apologised and proceeded to give my wife and I a really nice desert for which we were very grateful.

As we checked out the next morning the receptionist told us we had additional restaurant charges of £38 for food we had never ordered. We were not wished farewell or asked if we enjoyed our stay. In all honesty we were glad to leave. If you can book B&B only, then we recommend. But make sure you ask for a superior room as they are indeed superior.

This is a lovely part of the world but next time we will book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Upgrade to superior
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review of your stay , we are sorry that you found the table d hote not to your liking and I shall investigate with the team your comments, however I can assure you our food is not from a Frozen super market but a very reputable food supplier. Regards John

Reviewed 22 October 2017

This was our first visit to the hotel which is ideally situated for Stratford-on-Avon and only an approx. 10/15 minute drive away. It is located in lovely countryside and Charlecote country Park is opposite the hotel.
The hotel itself was well laid out and has its own, free, carpark; outside pool and tennis courts.(Ideal for those summer months)
The staff were very friendly and helpful with good customer service and hotel was clean and well laid out.
We stayed in Room 10 in The Farmhouse. The room itself was very comfortable, clean, plenty of storage space for us and had a 4 poster bed, which was a nice surprise - just a shame there were no drapes - only the fittings!
We were on a Dinner,Bed/Breakfast rate and to be honest found breakfast quite mediocre. It was buffet style and both mornings only lukewarm; there was no selection of fruit only grapefruit and prunes, which as most of the guests seemed to be "seniors" I am sure couldn't eat the grapefruit because of medications which prohibit that and, well .. prunes! As a polite suggestion perhaps there could be orange segments plus AN Other to give a better variety. There were no yogurts (although in fairness we were told on the last morning you had to ask for them. Perhaps a notice near the fruit section could have stated this); there were also no Danish pastries!

There could have been a better selection for the set dinner - 4 mains on the DBB rate covering the required fish, meat, salad, vegetarian! You could order from the extensive main menu at a £6 discount off the quoted price. This defeats the object of a set booking rate? We did order from the main menu which was well cooked, presented and served, but added to the cost of our break.

Apart from the F&B negatives - would we stay again..... possibly.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

HI There

Many thank for the review of your recent stay, on a whole its great to read you had an enjoyable time , with regards your comments on the F & B side due to space an refrigeration we keep the yoghurt in the kitchen Fridges and is available via your waiter/ess apologies this was not made clear to you. Kind regards John

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Booked a superior room with dinner included. Allocated room no.1 at the rear of the hotel. Well appointed with separate seating area, spacious bathroom and the usual facilities. However, the guests in the room above (Mr & Mrs Wilderbeeste) spent most of the night clomping about on the wooden floor; ruining any chance of a good night's sleep.
I know its a converted building, but at least give some thought to sound insulation!
Visited the bar for a pre-dinner drink. 2 gin & tonics cost me £17+. These are 5* prices for a 2* coach stop.
So, on to dinner.... more Table d'hopeless than Table d'hote.
Tiny selection of starters, mains and desserts...and even tinier portions.
Ordered cod; received goldfish... with more bones than a church crypt.
The pork had clearly been cooked sometime in the last century and kept warm ever since.
Vegetables: sweetcorn & sprouts. That's it. No choice, no alternatives, no taste either.
Expressed our concern to the duty manager who suggested they would offer a refund.
On checkout, we asked the receptionist, who incidentally, was very nice, if the manager would contact us to discuss our concerns. Guess what? After a week and a half...nothing!
In fairness, what is he going to say? Sorry, but we cater for coach trips who will accept any old crap... Not my fault you thought you were coming for a "rewarding stay" in an "inviting" hotel with a "delightful restaurant"...despite these being the exact words so readily proffered on their website.
So, in conclusion, would I stay there again? NO
Would I recommend the Charlecote Pheasant? NO
Would I go back, even for free? Let me think about that.....NO!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel!
1  Thank Glyn F

thank you fore the review of your recent stay I am sorry that the guests above you kept you awake ! with regards to your other comments on the Food and Drink gin and tonics would not cost the amount of £17 plus unless they were doubles and the price list is clearly available in front the the Gin Parlour display ? The table D hote is a good value for money Menu, and great value for the special offer break you were on which included an bottle of wine. We are sorry that the menu and choice was not to your liking however we DO not cater solely for Coach trips and do not offer any "Crap" as a means of a dinner offering. Should the Table d hote menu not be to your taste or liking there is always our a la carte Menu which you can choose to upgrade at a reduced cost Regards John

Reviewed 18 October 2017

We have stayed at the Charlecote Pheasant before, we had a great stay so decided to return along with the original party of friends. The hotel is in a good position for visiting surrounding area and attractions. We had rooms in the outside annex this time, they were slightly tired and could definitely do with a deep clean. Our issue is with the housekeeping, our beds were left unmade, toilet roll ran out, tea & coffee not replenished. Each couple in our party had similar issues.
The food was definitely not as good as our last visit, although there is an option to pay a reduced rate for the a la carte menu. One evening my husband ordered the mushroom tart it came with a ring of lettuce, nothing else! We asked if it came with potatoes and were told no, we did however ask another member of staff for some roast potatoes which he thankfully brought.
We had no complaints with the breakfast which was plentiful and varied and of good quality, the only problem was the toast machine, the usual, toast either underdone or burnt, and it took so long.
The staff were friendly and helpful we couldn't fault them, they were definitely under pressure, as there were so few of them to cope with the number of guests.
Our stay was very reasonable in price so I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Annex. Traffic noise if you stay midweek.
Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank SheAKent
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Thank you for the review of your recent weekend Stay with your friends, IM sorry that on this occasion you did not enjoy your time with us. My sincere apologies we were extremely short staff due to illness , in the Housekeeping Dept , and again apologies this reflected in the enjoyment of your stay. Kind regards John

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Spent the evening at a club dinner - good facilities, pleasant and helpful bar and waiting staff. Good food, well catered for a large-ish group - all meals arrived hot and in a timely manner.

Comfortable room with TV and en suite, nothing special, good breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Hi Paul M

thank you for the review of your recent stay and Club Dinner Function , I shall pass n all your kind comments to the team Kind regards John

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlecote
4.7 km away
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
9.3 km away
Ettington Park Hotel
Ettington Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Alderminster

Been to The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel? Share your experiences!