1,005 results
All reviews charlecote park national trust property self drive a la carte menu stratford upon avon the table d'hote menu country hotels garden centre half board premier room coach parties car park evening meal lamb shank bus stop weekend break four poster bed
Reviewed October 23, 2017

As I see from other reviews, Room No. 1 has an issue that if anyone is staying above, it sounds like elephants tromping about and as they do the floor squeaks. Unfortunately for us, the ones above were up to around midnight and then got up early the next morning so we only got a few hours of sleep. The breakfast (not included in $$$ priceof room), was expensive and very average. We were fortunate to get the last parking spot in the lot but was several hundred yards away from our room. The hall outside the room smell like mildew, and fortunately the room smell fine. All things about the room were okay, other than being able to sleep. Oh, by the way, ignore the signs that say swimming pool, there is no pool. Also for the price, they claimed they did not have any standard rooms left, so I had to cough up and extra US$50 for a pretty standard room.

Room tip: make sure you don't have any one above you.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2017

Thank you for the review of your recent overnight stay, we are sorry that your sleep was disturbed with the occupants of the room above , room 1 is a superior room and not standard, £9.95 for breakfast buffet with tea and coffee is very reasonably priced with our competitor's. I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed by the other guests should you wish to return I shall ensure that you are located in a quiet superior room
Kind regards John

Reviewed October 22, 2017

The Hotel and location is wonderful, the breakfast too was very nice but that is where it ends.

We arrived and struggled to find a car parking space, lots of parking but not enough to cater for everyone.

The restaurant was a big let down to the hotel. On our first night we had finished our three course meal within 30 minutes. The service was far too fast and the quality was poor. I ordered fish and chips for my main course and it looked like a piece of fish from a cheap freezer food supermarket. I struggled to cut through the rubbery batter and it was served up warm but not hot.

On the second night I had to comment to staff that my starter looked like it had been dropped and brushed up back onto the plate. It was the smallest starter I have ever been offered in my life. The waitress laughed and said it was the cooks fault and not hers. She did later apologise for laughing but from this point the atmosphere went cold.

We were offered the desert menu yet 30 minutes later I had to ask again. At this point we then spoke to a kindly man who we believe was a supervisor. He apologised and proceeded to give my wife and I a really nice desert for which we were very grateful.

As we checked out the next morning the receptionist told us we had additional restaurant charges of £38 for food we had never ordered. We were not wished farewell or asked if we enjoyed our stay. In all honesty we were glad to leave. If you can book B&B only, then we recommend. But make sure you ask for a superior room as they are indeed superior.

This is a lovely part of the world but next time we will book elsewhere.

Room tip: Upgrade to superior
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review of your stay , we are sorry that you found the table d hote not to your liking and I shall investigate with the team your comments, however I can assure you our food is not from a Frozen super market but a very reputable food supplier. Regards John

Reviewed October 22, 2017

This was our first visit to the hotel which is ideally situated for Stratford-on-Avon and only an approx. 10/15 minute drive away. It is located in lovely countryside and Charlecote country Park is opposite the hotel.
The hotel itself was well laid out and has its own, free, carpark; outside pool and tennis courts.(Ideal for those summer months)
The staff were very friendly and helpful with good customer service and hotel was clean and well laid out.
We stayed in Room 10 in The Farmhouse. The room itself was very comfortable, clean, plenty of storage space for us and had a 4 poster bed, which was a nice surprise - just a shame there were no drapes - only the fittings!
We were on a Dinner,Bed/Breakfast rate and to be honest found breakfast quite mediocre. It was buffet style and both mornings only lukewarm; there was no selection of fruit only grapefruit and prunes, which as most of the guests seemed to be "seniors" I am sure couldn't eat the grapefruit because of medications which prohibit that and, well .. prunes! As a polite suggestion perhaps there could be orange segments plus AN Other to give a better variety. There were no yogurts (although in fairness we were told on the last morning you had to ask for them. Perhaps a notice near the fruit section could have stated this); there were also no Danish pastries!

There could have been a better selection for the set dinner - 4 mains on the DBB rate covering the required fish, meat, salad, vegetarian! You could order from the extensive main menu at a £6 discount off the quoted price. This defeats the object of a set booking rate? We did order from the main menu which was well cooked, presented and served, but added to the cost of our break.

Apart from the F&B negatives - would we stay again..... possibly.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2017

HI There

Many thank for the review of your recent stay, on a whole its great to read you had an enjoyable time , with regards your comments on the F & B side due to space an refrigeration we keep the yoghurt in the kitchen Fridges and is available via your waiter/ess apologies this was not made clear to you. Kind regards John

Reviewed October 21, 2017

Booked a superior room with dinner included. Allocated room no.1 at the rear of the hotel. Well appointed with separate seating area, spacious bathroom and the usual facilities. However, the guests in the room above (Mr & Mrs Wilderbeeste) spent most of the night clomping about on the wooden floor; ruining any chance of a good night's sleep.
I know its a converted building, but at least give some thought to sound insulation!
Visited the bar for a pre-dinner drink. 2 gin & tonics cost me £17+. These are 5* prices for a 2* coach stop.
So, on to dinner.... more Table d'hopeless than Table d'hote.
Tiny selection of starters, mains and desserts...and even tinier portions.
Ordered cod; received goldfish... with more bones than a church crypt.
The pork had clearly been cooked sometime in the last century and kept warm ever since.
Vegetables: sweetcorn & sprouts. That's it. No choice, no alternatives, no taste either.
Expressed our concern to the duty manager who suggested they would offer a refund.
On checkout, we asked the receptionist, who incidentally, was very nice, if the manager would contact us to discuss our concerns. Guess what? After a week and a half...nothing!
In fairness, what is he going to say? Sorry, but we cater for coach trips who will accept any old crap... Not my fault you thought you were coming for a "rewarding stay" in an "inviting" hotel with a "delightful restaurant"...despite these being the exact words so readily proffered on their website.
So, in conclusion, would I stay there again? NO
Would I recommend the Charlecote Pheasant? NO
Would I go back, even for free? Let me think about that.....NO!

Room tip: Book a different hotel!
2  Thank Glyn F

thank you fore the review of your recent stay I am sorry that the guests above you kept you awake ! with regards to your other comments on the Food and Drink gin and tonics would not cost the amount of £17 plus unless they were doubles and the price list is clearly available in front the the Gin Parlour display ? The table D hote is a good value for money Menu, and great value for the special offer break you were on which included an bottle of wine. We are sorry that the menu and choice was not to your liking however we DO not cater solely for Coach trips and do not offer any "Crap" as a means of a dinner offering. Should the Table d hote menu not be to your taste or liking there is always our a la carte Menu which you can choose to upgrade at a reduced cost Regards John

Reviewed October 18, 2017

We have stayed at the Charlecote Pheasant before, we had a great stay so decided to return along with the original party of friends. The hotel is in a good position for visiting surrounding area and attractions. We had rooms in the outside annex this time, they were slightly tired and could definitely do with a deep clean. Our issue is with the housekeeping, our beds were left unmade, toilet roll ran out, tea & coffee not replenished. Each couple in our party had similar issues.
The food was definitely not as good as our last visit, although there is an option to pay a reduced rate for the a la carte menu. One evening my husband ordered the mushroom tart it came with a ring of lettuce, nothing else! We asked if it came with potatoes and were told no, we did however ask another member of staff for some roast potatoes which he thankfully brought.
We had no complaints with the breakfast which was plentiful and varied and of good quality, the only problem was the toast machine, the usual, toast either underdone or burnt, and it took so long.
The staff were friendly and helpful we couldn't fault them, they were definitely under pressure, as there were so few of them to cope with the number of guests.
Our stay was very reasonable in price so I guess you get what you pay for.

Room tip: Annex. Traffic noise if you stay midweek.
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank SheAKent
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2017

Thank you for the review of your recent weekend Stay with your friends, IM sorry that on this occasion you did not enjoy your time with us. My sincere apologies we were extremely short staff due to illness , in the Housekeeping Dept , and again apologies this reflected in the enjoyment of your stay. Kind regards John