All reviews charlecote park national trust property self drive a la carte menu stratford upon avon the table d'hote menu country hotels half board garden centre premier room coach parties car park lamb shank evening meal bus stop four poster bed buffet style
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

Stated at the hotel as a group of work colleagues visiting a nearby site for a conference. One of the room's booked for the party was very dirty with mold growth around the bath with no sower curtain in the bathroom. Complained to reception and was offered a free meal at the restaurant. Booked the meal in the restaurant. My colleague had the beef sizzler and I had fish and chips. The sizzler came out without sizzle!!! and the chip's on my meal were not cooked. The fish was like a piece of fish that I would of picked up from s cheap supermarket. I asked for some replacement chips which came 5 minutes later but by that time the fish as bad as it was was cold. Given that my employer had paid £110 a night bed and breakfast for the night each for my colleague and I and had to pay on top of that price for our evening meal I am very disappointed about the standard of this hotel. Not a good place to visit

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
6  Thank grahamphillippo
Reviewed September 1, 2018

good food help yourself buffet breakfast plentiful evening meals pleasant helpful bar staff house keeping isnt top notch but it was ok, they miss essential cleaning, but overall a pleasant stay only gripe we had was the miserable coach driver L belonging to shearings but this wasnt hotels fault

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katywebbo
Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

Returned from a lovely stay at the Charlecote staff were friendly efficient and very helpful from check in at reception to the bar guys who were so nice and the great waiting staff Our room was a superior and had everything we needed loved the chocolate the family had standard rooms and perhaps they could be updated but were clean and absolutely fine. The food was well cooked and everyone found things they liked sometimes we used the a la carte menu which was lovely. Overall a very pleasant stay in a lovely area would definitely stay again if we’re in the area.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2018

Hi there , Many thanks for the review of your recent family get away, its great to read that you all had a fantastic time and I shall pass on all your kind comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your Superior rooms, and take on board the comments of upgrading the Standard rooms these are done on a Rolling programme with more planned for next year. Kind regards John

Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

On arrival for our Shearings midweek break it started well as we were allocated our keys quickly and efficiently and then it all went downhill fast.
The corridors were filled with bedding and towels strewn across the floor (our coach had apparently arrived early ) I don't know why these weren't in the usual housekeeping trolleys? The corridors were also a bit of a Krypton Factor assault course with builders debris littering the corridor and nails sticking out of bits of wood mixed in with the debris which almost snagged me my legs, The driver of the coach said that a refurbishment was complete (sadly not so)
Our bed was covered by the most ridiculous quilt we have ever encountered the filling had been 'migrating' leaving lumps in some pockets and no filling whatsoever in others, the bed was also very badly made so that we had to (politely) complain and when the head house keeper came and changed the quilt she informed us that a new man had started and he didn't speak much English and was making a few errors (to be honest the quilt should have been resigned to a skip years ago, I wouldn't even give it to a dog, but he was obviously working with what he was provided)

However, having been up since 4am (to catch the coach) we decided to try for an afternoon nap, absolutely pointless, the room next door was apparently being refurbished and hammering and drilling made this impossible!

By evening mealtime we figured it couldn't get any worse - we were wrong,
Hubby ordered a lager from the bar and I ordered a large coke, I had caught sight of the bar tariff (as displayed by law) and when the barman asked for the money I was a bit surprised as it didn't tally with what I thought it should be, but the barman insisted quite brusquely that it was correct, so I paid up and when we sat down I started studying the bar menus on the tables to see if I could work out the anomaly!

At this point the waiter came over with a copy of a till receipt and stating quite bruskly something along the lines of "see! this is the price!"

Now I could see that I had been charged for 2 small cokes as opposed to one large and this accounted for the difference! So I returned to the bar and told the barman I had ordered one large coke and not two small ones, but he just shrugged and said that's what they did here!

I spotted a 'suited' chap behind the bar and adressed the issue with him, his response was 'you want the difference back?' Incredulously I had to confirm I did. we were also charged incorrectly for a double Baileys but the barman didn't argue when i told him his mistake and handed over what i knew to be the correct amount ( because i was vigilantly checking prices first) not great for a relaxing break.

We had an issue on the 2nd day as a can of coke and a bottle of water going missing from our room ( I had packed these to take tablets with) and was disturbed when I realised that it could only have been the room attendant that could have taken them.
I immediately reported it to reception and was told the manager would come to see me. He showed up at our room shortly after and after hearing my explanation of what was missing, he proceded to check the bin and surrounding areas ( presumably to ensure i wasn't delusional and had somehow misplaced it! ) then to my utter amazement he went to look around the bathroom (Basil fawlty came to mind) as he talked to me without looking at me and flushed the toilet! and then picked up a hand towel, polished the mirror with it! and then said I'll get this replaced and he walked out of the room !

I followed him out and asked if we could please not have a room service anymore as I didnt feel trusting anymore but he said that the head housekeeper would do the room and basically we HAD to have it.

I also showed him the disgusting smelly coffee tray (see photo) where I discovered the cleaner has simply upturned my used mugs, he assured me this was not acceptable and would be dealt with. (But to be honest even though the mugs were subsequently washed they were then upturned on the filthy tray for the rest of our stay! )

He did asked if could give us wine with dinner to compensate, but i said no as i wanted him to appreciate we weren't after anything we just wanted to enjoy our midweek break and not feel that our possesions werent safe.

As it was we felt we had to lock our things in our suitcase each day as we went out as we got no updates from the Manager and it was actually only upon our departure when i accidently crissed paths with him, whilst checking that our account was clear of charges, that he informed me they had 'let the cleaner go' because his English was such that they couldnt actually ascertain if he'd taken our drinks or not!

The food was OK but not great and the soups were of 'packet' appearance and some of the staff in the dining room were poorly trained (clearing plates whilst people at the table were still eating) etc

The room was not great the windowsill and nets left a lot to be desired ( see photo)

As we finally drove away (with relief for the first time in my life that the 'Holiday' was over) the coach driver pointed out a car in the carpark without a number plate ! Informing us that the number plate had been stolen during the night!
This was (to our mind) of no surprise and an appropriate end to a farcical break.
We have not asked for compensation and have no intention of doing so, but I want to stress in over 40 years of working in the hospitality industry I have never come across so many failures.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doasyouwouldbedone
Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

On arrival here we were provided with room 17 which was a ground floor room in the courtyard area. Initially the room looked quaint, however when we began to get ready we noticed several staples sticking out from the bed base, these were in a position which would easily cause injury or damage to clothing, one even cut my husbands finger. How room staff had not noticed them when tucking in bed sheets I do not know....

We reported the matter to reception, but as maintenance had now gone home we had to move rooms to the other side of the complex.

We were now located in the main hotel area. The place looked like it had seen better days, doors were damaged, decor dated...

On entering our room it smelt damp - lack of ventilation, the kettle was broken, there was a side dresser with no mirror (not been replaced). Need I go on..

If you look at my other reviews I am not one to moan. Would not recommend nor would I stay again. Very disappointed...

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple