“Wonderful hidden gem ...”

Bailiffscourt Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Climping
London
“Wonderful hidden gem ...”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This has to be one of the most relaxing, well run, relaxing, comfortable, relaxing hotels I have stayed in in the UK. My room was splendid and I was totally taken aback when the General Manager popped in to light my real open fire. Imagine sinking into a hot bath listening to the sound of crackling kindle, just perfect. The hotel has lots of little sitting rooms with comfortable armchairs and sofas, open fires, books to read, games to play or simply snooze. The meal was delicious with excellent service. Even the food for our working lunch was delicious. Not your usual boring sandwiches here, nope, we had chicken skewers, Thai crab cakes, mushrooms in pastry and a great cheese board. Unfortunately I didn't have time to visit the Spa but my colleague said it was top notch. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and very much look forward to my next visit. The comfortable bed and deep sleep as a result, is just one reason to return. Thank you to the GM and his team for making it such a good visit, I hope to return soon.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Lush28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We have been visiting Bailiffscourt since 1994 and try to return at least once a year no matter where in the UK we are living. We revisited again this week for the first time in many months and once again had a memorable, relaxing and pleasurable time in a place where time seems to stand still and all your worries depart as you turn into the drive and approach the honeyed stone buildings.

On this occasion Reception were exceptionally helpful prior to our visit and advised that if they had a feature room available in The Thatch House they would allocate this to us, which they did. Our room was delightful with a comfortable four poster bed and comfortable chairs it was full of charm and character whilst having a modern bathroom equipped with a good supply of quality products. It was warm, cosy and inviting and there were plenty of logs in the basket to keep our fire glowing as we sat and read in front of it after returning from a walk on the beach and a trip to the Spa which included a long soak in the outside Hot Tub.

In the evening from arriving in the bar the service was friendly, prompt and professional and the dining room was warm and laid out to allow all guests plenty of space and privacy. All three courses of Dinner were exquisite and although we travel extensively and often eat in top class restaurants we agreed it was cooked and presented to perfection and every mouthful was bursting with flavour.

The following morning we read the papers over a leisurely breakfast which included delicious free range eggs and vegetarian sausage and enjoyed another exhilarating walk on the beach before returning to our room to again sit and read in comfortable chairs in front of our log fire.

Although we spent less than 24 hours at Bailiffscourt we left feeling we had had a long, relaxing and thoroughly rejuvenating break.

Room Tip: Feature rooms, especially the traditional ones, are well equipped with all modern equipment but main...
3 Thank ChrissyCooper
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This is the second time that we have stayed at Baillifscourt, the previous occasion also being in January (last year). The hotel is a wonderful place to get away from it all, with just the sound of the sea a short walk away in the background. The staff in both the hotel and the spa were friendly and generally very helpful. Swimming in the outdoor pool under a full sky of stars in the middle of January is pretty special, and the spa has lovely facilities, although it does get quite busy at times. There are beautiful grounds to wander around, and it is lovely to be able to walk by the sea too.

The most significant improvement we noticed was in the restaurant, where the layout of the tables gave us a lot more privacy, and the quality of the cooking has gone from very decent to really quite exceptional. It's fairly full-on French cooking, but the execution was excellent, and we were very happy as we gently manoeuvred our way back to our room. The service of the staff in the restaurant was also very good.

One area where they could improve here is at breakfast-time, and more care could have been done to ensure that the fruit and cold offerings at the buffet were all ok. They also could do with investing a bit more in their internet access, and have decent, fast wireless access across the board - although, in fairness, it's not why you come here.

But overall, this is a fantastic place to come, relax, recharge, eat, drink and be very merry.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Just returned from Bailiffscourt where we have had an amazing weekend. This is a very chilled hotel with great staff and a wonderful setting. Our bedroom was fantasic, and the real fire in the room was a great touch. A big thank you to Chris who really made us feel welcome throughout the stay. I must say that the restaurant was brilliant and the food and wine selection really enjoyable.
Thanks for a great stay, this has been one of the best hotels I have stayed at, and all credit goes to the Chris and the team for a very well run hotel.
We will be back, and soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house, with a fourposter bed and log fire. Magic
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Enjoyed a relaxing short weekend stay in this "little gem" staying in a lovely room named "baylies", purchased as a gift voucher as a treat. Never have we experienced such an eclectic mix that gels as well, within a truly phenomenal building, our room was unique, well furnished and luxuriously comfortable whilst remaining understated and homely. The staff were as attentive as in the finest, whilst remaining unobtrusive and friendly. The restaurant proved good and overall, we would highly recommend to anyone, seeking a unique, relaxing stay, with quality and comforts, whilst remaining different from the main and situated in an again unique and outstanding location. Prices also seem fair and represent good value. We didn't explore the spa facilities and unfortunately did not have time to tke advantage of massages included in offer but will be back for a slightly longer break soon, in order to saviour the experience for a little longer. A real "escape" from it all hotel, with great staff, wonderful buildings and well furnished rooms - and although we were not particularly demanding, a sense of willingness to please, that would satisfy anyone, seeking a good value, luxury break.

• Stayed January 2012
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Balisffscourt is still stunning, the rooms amazing but ' Oh Dear ' We looked for ward to our meal and were so disappointed. My Starter was Scollops deep fried. When they arrived they smelt of stale oil (like fish and chips do). I ate them but was not very impressed. The head waiter apologised and I thought no more of it. My main of Duck arrived. I'd requested some extra sauce on the side which was there. I poured it over and started to eat... What I was tasting was SALT with maybe some OXO mixed in and a little hot water. Eeeek, nasty and not what should be served with any dish, let alone Duck. My wife tried some and she felt the same, I tried to struggle on but just couldn't. By this time the head waiter had noticed my face.. I explained the problem and he tried the sauce himself and agreed that it was a bit salty. By this time I'd had enough and we decided to call it a day and went back to our room. When i checked out the following morning I commented on the meal and asked if the head chef had been there or if there had been a problem with staff in the kitchen. I was told that he was there. I did question how a top chef could allow something like that to leave his kitchen? I was given £29.95 off my bill of nearly £600! I think that maybe I'll go elsewhere from now on.... What a sham.

3 Thank Kipims
ChrisAlger, General Manager at Bailiffscourt Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2012
I appreciate your candid feedback, but looking at the scores you gave I was very surprised you closed your statement with ’What a sham’ I am hoping it was meant to be phrased ‘What a Shame’?
The Duck has been a very popular dish and the sauce served is a Red wine jus, which simply put simply is stock, red wine etc which has been heavily reduced, resulting is a rich and full flavoured sauce. I agree that serving the jus in large quantities would not be good and in the future we will ensure guests are advised against this. Salt is not added at any stage.
I believe we offered to provide you with another main course and as this was declined the Restaurant manager had the cost of the main course removed – this I feel was fair.
The room you chose was one of our Feature rooms, which you scored 5/5, on a Saturday night this room is currently £500 on a dinner bed and breakfast basis. There are currently some special midweek offers which are fantastic value, dinner bed and breakfast in a Feature room £380, or £280 in a Superior room all include access to our Spa.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

What a lovely way to spend New Years Eve with a champagne afternoon tea to start and then a wonderful 5 course dinner in the evening with entertainment.
Hospitality was first class and we will definitely be returning!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
ChrisAlger, General Manager at Bailiffscourt Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Thank you for your feedback & delighted you had a great time.
If you are looking for another getaway we have some excellent offers out at the moment -
Dinner bed and breakfast in a Superior room £280 per night, based on two sharing OR if you need some extra pampering our Luxury Spa break £360, dinner bed and breakfast, which includes £100 treatment vouchers (for free!)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Climping
38.3 km away
7.8 km away
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Bailiffscourt Hotel? Share your experiences!