“Yulefest = you'll fester and never go here again” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Victoria & Albert Guesthouse

and 1 more site!
Victoria & Albert Guesthouse
Bronte, Sydney, NSW, Australia
“Yulefest = you'll fester and never go here again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

I was forced at the last minute to find a Yulefest (Christmas in July) dinner in the same area as the original restaurant i booked cancelled on me as their chef was sick. As it was hard to find a reputable yule location with 48 hrs notice to seat 12 adults and 3 children, I thought I'd give The Victoria and Albert a go - against my better judgement after reading other bad reviews. I thought - how bad could someone stuff up a basic christmas meal? and, at $70 a head it cant be that bad? surely... Oh, how very wrong I was to go against my gut instinct. Now my gut is still recovering.

Arriving for 'canapes and mulled wine' we were shown into a room where another large group was placed around the fire on various sofas. We had to edge through a door that was blocked by a sofa and seat 2 sofas for 12 adults and 3 kids. We took some plastic chairs from around a table in the corner. We could get no where near the fire. The other group glared as us like we were invaders! Then the so called canapes on a tray near our seating appeared- pre frozen deep fried ?? We could not identify the contents, the pastry was different shapes but the food within was unknown. We had to ask for our glass of mulled wine, then when it did not come, one of the adults went to the kitchen to ask again. It arrived 15 mins later in tumblers, 2 at a time. It was again, unidentifiable as to its recipe, I think maybe cask red with a bit of cinnamon and heated in the microwave.

The other group decided they were hungry and came over to our seating area and proceeded to eat off the tray of 'canapes' to our shock, but they were welcome to the food as it was not edible. I prayed that dinner would be better as I'd arranged my whole family and 2 friends to come up from Sydney for this.

My prayers were not answered. ushered into the dining room, it was super hot with aircon on 26 degrees but no lit fire. Did not feel like we were in the Blue Mountains. The architecture had potential but the decor was 1980s pink and hideous. As was the food. The soup I think was cauliflower but it had so much butter in it I couldnt taste the main ingredient or finish the very shallow bowl - paste like.

Main meal was a meat slice trio. 3 slices of meat, 1, I think turkey, 1 pork? - assumed as it was pink and I did not touch it, and the 3rd I believe was a chunk of 'crackling' but looked like beef jerkey - only orange. The beans were shrivelled, the potato the only blessing to fill me up.

Dessert was an individual overcooked microwaved dry plum pudding covered in coagulated custard - made from powder. There was no taste of plum in the pudding. Kids got icecream - but even that was bad and they didnt eat it as it 'tasted funny'.

I felt most sorry for my sister who is part of a family of 5, that's 5x $70 = $350 for a meal that was barely eaten and only because we were hungry. It was below RSL standard and our money would have been better spent at The Lithgow Worker's Club where it is cheap, cheerful - and edible.

Ashamed I booked this and was responsible for a woeful night of non Yule cheer - the only blessing was my family around me and the couple of friends who were oh so polite about the whole thing.

Regretfully I did not think to take photos with my iphone to warn off others.

Do not eat here!

Room Tip: Did not stay in a room. But used the main dining/lounge facilities. Old, run down, couches blocking...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mini441

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Blacktown, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

Decaying and decayed grandeur is now also shabby and dusty - so are the staff.

The websites photos do not give a true indication of what is in store.

Old beds, old blankets and quilts - not a doona in sight. 1 pillow only each and 1 coat hanger.

The double room was dusty, contained the bed, a bedside table with lamp and that was it. Towels OK and plenty of hot water.

Dinner menu and quality very poor. No wine list available - the 1 waitress couldn't find it.

No Vodka for a vodka and orange; no Southern Comfort for a Southern Comforrt and coke.

We left midway through dinner and went to the Pub on the hill to receive decent food, service and to get away from the nightmare staff.

We didn't bother to stay for breakfast.

Needless to say we won't be returning. I wonder who does return?

A group were looking through the place to arrange a wedding - I hope they read these and other comments before they throw their money away.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this place.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank disgruntled91

Travellers are raving about these Mount Victoria hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

This place has some very serious shortcomings which are thankfully to a large extent mitigated by the incredibly helpful and attentive staff and the quality of the architectural interiors. The bedrooms although clean are very poorly fitted out and notwithstanding their historical context are not really up to standard. The building itself is superb with wonderful woodwork, art nouveau tiles in the hall and etched glass windows. The dining room is very pleasant with crisp linen table cloths, napkins and fresh flowers. There are several very nice common rooms to relax in after dinner. Overall has great potential but falls short for the price.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank aroundthenextcorner1
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

My husband and I did not stay as guests in this 'guesthouse', but came in for lunch in late December after a long trip up the Moutains. There were a total of 10 guests within the 'restaurant'. The decor was dirty and dusty, but the menu looked promising. It took 10 minutes to receive service from the manager/owner who laughed when I ordered a vegetarian breakfast (removing bacon from a hot breakfast dish isn't that strange). We waited 35 minutes (which in this time another couple left the 'restaurant' as they hadn't even received service yet) before I had to almost enter the kitchen to get any kind of attention to ask how our meals were coming along. After hunting down our 'waiter' we were informed that our meals would be ready shortly. We waited another 10minutes only to then be informed our meals would be a while longer. After waiting almost an 1hour for food in a dusty, vacant indoor verandah we decided leaving was the only option! We should have known that with no-one to greet us at guest reception or within the restaurant this place would be dodgy, but we were hungry. We should have been told the food would take 1hour - that way we could have decided if we wanted to wait. TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL - DO NOT EAT HERE! Thank God for the Imperial Hotel up the road!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GrizzlyAdams78
Naremburn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

Character filled Victorian hotel (built in the late 1800s) with a grand entrance. The hotel was quiet and the service from the two proprietors was simply excellent with suggestions for things to see. Lots of common rooms including a wonderful sun room with large comfy lounges and a TV room (more comfy lounges), a huge balcony to enjoy the mountain air and good quality restaurant. Rooms were clean and comfortable with good modern bathroom (and no TV in the room). Price included a typical continental breakfast but with the addition of luscious homemade scones. Mount Victoria is very quiet and I can recommend the quaint and eclectic museum near the railway station.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Berkeley, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

The entry to the hotel has gorgeous tile and oak furniture and the reception person was nice. Our ensuite room was small and without any taste in furnishings whatsoever. The very strange thing is that the bathroom had a window but the bedroom was windowless, unless you count the fact that there is an empty transom bay above the door to the bathroom. I did not think it was a good value and I think we could have done better in the area if we had not booked ahead. TV was in the hall lounge which worked out fine. On a M-T-W night you will need to drive back to Blackheath for dinner.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NervousBoomer
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

We usually stay in the blue mountains every year, so we thought we'd try this one . Rooms are very basic but clean with good linen on the beds, we had a spa room which are about double the size of the others , the place has the old guest house feel which is all but gone from most modern moden places where you just get a swip card and directions to your room and have no contact with anyone until you check-out. The guesthouse has lovely old lounges in a big sunroom with floor to ceiling glass windows which look out over the grounds .We spent a whole day in the sun room just reading books and relaxing. If you want modern this isn't ! if you like the thought of a freindy old fashion B&B / Guesthouse I think you'll like it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
7.3 km away
Comfort Inn Redleaf Resort
Comfort Inn Redleaf Resort
#3 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Victoria & Albert Guesthouse? Share your experiences!