“We left after looking at the menu”
Review of Nineteen23 - CLOSED

Nineteen23
Price range: US$37 - US$48
Cuisines: Australian, Healthy
Good for: View, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Those visiting Nineteen23 can expect a regularly changing, seasonally-driven array of dishes (including vegetarian and gluten free options) that showcase produce from across the Blue Mountains and NSW Central Tablelands.Chef Max McKinnon has been Soux Chef for the past three years, and is formerly of Tetsuya's, Darleys ans solitary. Degustation menus also available. Nineteen23's marble topped tables, grand fire place and art deco chandeliers bring diners into the period ambience. Once there, they can enjoy the view to the Blue Mountains World Heritage Park and the Sydney CBD through huge picture windows and framed glass doors. Open for dinner Thursday through Sunday and for lunch on Saturday and Sunday. Private rooms available for group bookings.
Reviewed June 25, 2017

What an incredibly pretentious restaurant and we left as soon as we saw the menu.

They require you pay for two courses, and, we couldn't find two things we wanted to eat. We came to the conclusion that the chef has been watching too many food shows and thinks, by putting fancy named things on the menu, justfies the over the top prices.

3  Thank Tammy W

Reviewed June 11, 2017

What a sensuous dining experience.....such beautifully presented dishes that delivered incredible flavour combinations.
Love their dedication to local and organic in produce and wine.
Service was impeccable.
Brilliant. Going back for lunch so we can enjoy the view as well.

Reviewed June 11, 2017

After reading so many good reviews it felt like an easy pick to come have dinner at this restaurant.
We left hugely disapointed, and with a heavy bill...Not a lot of positive to remember from this dinner, I just think the chef is way out of his league here, so many basic mistakes and poorly designed dishes it was weird and almost embarrassing.

Started: Kingfish and ham, lacked seasonning massively, and the grapes were tasteless
Mains: my pearl barley risotto was the biggest joke of the dinner, zero flavour whatsoever. it promised cheese, harrissa, herbs etc... the risotto was sitting on a bed of oil, not appetizing at all. I seriously had to add salt 3 times before tasting anything, i still wonder if he put any cheese in it. I actually struggled to finish the dish, which never happens to me, it was that unpleasant and weird and not enjoyable. The other main we ordered was the blue eye cod. Maybe the best dish of the night, but it was also strange: the fish is sitting on a bisque, and they added a giant puddle of lemon oil in the bisque, creating a strange visual effet, and confusing the flavours of the dish. unpleasant and spoiled an otherwise very good piece of fish.

I did ordered bread and was served half a slice of loaf, with the whole middle section of the slice being completely wet, raw, uncooked. chocking. 5$ a slice, thank you very much.

I ordered the cheese platter which was hit and miss: the blue was great, the brie was tasteless (bought from Coles ? ). At least the portion was generous, which helped me end my dinner on a positive note. We also ordered the chocolate mousse dessert, which could actually have been a great dessert if it wasnt for another puddle
(see a trend here ? ) of a strange sirup in the plate, that had nothing to do here and spoiled the dish.

I'd like to think that when i have a bad experience at a restaurant it is just bad luck and the chef had a one-off bad serving, but the table next to us sent their bread back, they were shocked at the price for the size (they did not have time to notice that it was raw on top it ! ), and they had orered a side of potatoes that was litterally a bucket of potatoes. Good value, maybe, but not the refinement expected in this place. They also ordered the 50$ beef which did not appetizing at all.

Overall a very strange dinner, way way too expensive for what it was. extremely underwhelming and unlikely to come back. wrong wrong wrong all the way.

3  Thank streetfoodlover2014
Reviewed June 10, 2017 via mobile

Very disappointing indeed. My children got pasta with pumpkin that was full of caraway (and we explicitly asked for no spices). My fish was undercooked and the rest of the food was very ordinary and extremely expensive. We sent the kids' meals back and we still had to pay for them. We won't be back.

Reviewed May 21, 2017

My wife and I have dined here for the last 5 or 6 years and have probably had around 12 meals in that time. With few truly fine dining options in the mid mountains that offer a seasonal degustation menu limited, 1923 is a godsend and has become our go to restaurant for both special occasions and date nights.

The restaurant is housed within an old heritage house and has an open fire and chilled music playing quietly in the background.

The maitre d is always superb and knowledgeable, expertly guiding us through every course, suggesting wines (if we don't have the matched degustation menu) and goes out of his way to make each night memorable.(Always happy to bring out extra bread for example),

The wine is regional and the produce local. Having eaten at Tetsuya's,Rockpool, Cumulus etc and many, many other fine dining establishments in every state in Australia I can attest to the originality and creativity of the current chef. The food is truly brilliant. From the hand made artisan rye bread and cultured butter to the sorbet before the dessert, each course is impeccable and very moreish. Flavours, textures, tastes and colours all combined wonderfully.

Love this place and will keep coming back. Sincerely hope it the current owner opens a 1923 offshoot in Springwood (please!)

1  Thank DZ1977