“The 60th Crew!”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of Thalia Haven

Prize-winning architects designed this stone and wood house on the clear waters of Great Oyster Bay.
Your own private white sand beach. Just you, the dolphins, and perhaps the occasional penguin. Relax in a nice hot bath outside with the sound of the waves. There's a sauna, too.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The whole house is yours: overnights for up to 8 people in 4 bedrooms.
Both the kitchen and dining room open onto the sea.
The kitchen is a cook's dream: double sink, 4 gas burners, and cooking fireplace.
Sleep soundly in king-sized beds with custom-made duvets.
Thalia is made up of separate pavilions around a central courtyard -- each room with ocean views.
The back guest room offers a library of books for you to browse.
The bedroom in the main building opens on the outdoor shower, tub, and wood-fired sauna.
The Green Room looks out onto the courtyard, and has sweeping ocean views to the north.
A hand-made basin in one of the ensuite bathrooms.
The living room looks out on the ocean. Gather around the open fire for a warm evening together.
Candlelight makes dinner a special occasion -- with friends, or just the two of you.
A fire in the living room is cosy and intimate at the end of the day.
Cypresses: a traditional symbol of welcome throughout the Mediterranean, and at Thalia.
The garden is in bloom all year round.
Wow! Turns out the end of the rainbow is on Thalia's beach.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

astropoei...
Singapore
“Terribly disappointing”
Reviewed May 14, 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

It was a difficult decision to write this review as I believe the owner Susan to be a warm and nice person but unfortunately, so many aspects of our stay simply did not match up. I think it would be easiest to simply lay down the positives and negatives, and hope it will allow others to make an informed decision should they decide to stay at this place.

Positives
1. Thalia is located at a truly beautiful spot, that offers spectacular views and immense privacy
2. The experience of watching a million stars at night, watching and listening to the breaking waves in front of you and enjoying the breeze as you sit in the outdoor bathtub is really unforgettable
3. For keen photographers, you would be able to capture spectacular photos of this place especially during sunrise and sunset

Negatives
1. Poor communication
While the owner Susan is extremely prompt in her email replies, she did not provide us pre-arrival information (directions to the place, where to find the keys etc.) until I had to email her the morning of our arrival. We would think that such information ought to be given to guests without the guest having to request for it especially if one might not have email access all the time while holidaying. And we would have appreciated if she had at least apologised in her email if it was an oversight on her part regarding this. Instead, the email began with "Your time is fast approaching, so here are the details to find us".
Earlier, during the booking stage, we had communicated to Susan that we would be driving from Saffire Freycinet and would require some assistance with options for dinner. And she mentioned that it was not an issue and she could organise something for us. Thereafter, we did not hear from her until some 3 weeks before our stay, asking us if we would be driving from Hobart so she could provide directions. This shows her total lack of memory on our previous correspondences. And after we mentioned that we will settle dinner on our own, no directions to the place was provided until my email on the day of arrival.
2. Difficult to find property
There are no signs to the property whatsoever and we were told it is exactly 1.8km after Mayfield Jetty Road if you are driving from Swansea. But what if you went out during the day and were returning in a opposite direction? We had gone out during the day and were driving back at dusk and you can imagine how difficult it was to look out for a small fence with no signage and numbers 11460 close to the ground on the gate. It would be much better if there could simply have been a pole with a bigger signage to mark the spot.
3. Could be cleaner
We arrived to find all the sofas and table covered in ash from the fireplace and had to clean them ourselves. Perhaps the owners could have closed the flume to prevent the strong winds from casting ash all over the place.
4. Misleading information on provisions provided
I know many reviewers mention a fully stocked pantry and on the website it states that it is stocked with breakfast provisions. In fact, the website shows a picture of bread, apples and cheese. But NONE of these were provided. The pantry is only stocked with cereals, milo, chocolate powder, and all kinds of condiments and sauces. I am not sure what people define as breakfast provisions but having stayed at many self-contained accommodation, including the excellent Topiary Haven at Launceston during this trip, we expect there to be milk, juices, eggs, breads. To our horror, the fridge was completely empty. There was not even water in the fridge. There was also only one tiny bottle of jam in the pantry, which I am not sure if it would have been enough had there been more than 2 persons staying.And given the extremely remote location of Thalia, it was not easy to go out to stock up on provisions.
5. Poor off-road conditions to the property
The property is 2km away from the main road, a point which the owner had made clear. But what was not clear was that the 2 kms to the property involved driving on gravel, sand, rocks and having to get off the car to open and close 4 gates. For visitors with rental cars, you would be worried about damage to your car. And it was definitely no fun getting off the car 4 times in extremely windy conditions to open and close 4 gates. On the second day of our stay, a tree fell due to the strong winds and blocked the path out. My husband and I had to spend 15 minutes to try to drag the tree to the side of the path so that we could drive out. Had the tree been bigger, it would have been impossible.
6. Strange locking system in the property made worse by the weather
All the doors on the property can only be unlocked and locked on the inside by a single key. This meant that you have to carry the key around to unlock and lock each door and there are many. One would have to check repeatedly if a door was locked or not and use the same key to lock and unlock. Given that Tasmania experienced strong winds during our stay, it meant that while you were waiting for the water in the bathtub to fill, you had to lock the bedroom door that opened to the tub because the winds would blow the door open otherwise (am not sure if it is due to a problem with this particular door). And then, you had to use the key to unlock the door again in order to go out.
Overall, this was a very disappointing stay due to the various difficulties we encountered. And for $700 a night for couples, with no breakfast provisions and given the state of the property, this was very poor value. But the location of the property is superb and I believe the owners can do much more to make it work.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Bathing under the stars
Liked least: Lack of provisions
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
15 May 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry you were disappointed by your stay with us! Thalia stands alone on a private peninsula. Many people like this experience of privacy, and find it a welcome change from their usual lives. Thalia is hidden, a secret house that no one knows about. There is no signage – only people who have our directions can find us. That is why we are so precise in communicating how to find the gate, and then the house. We specify that you follow a farm road to the house. In future, I will be more careful to be sure guests understand that this is an unpaved road - gravel, but it won't damage your car. Many guests enjoy the experience of winding their way through fields stocked with cattle, horses and sheep, even though it means these paddocks are separated by gates that guests open and close themselves. I was concerned when you told me you don’t cook, and we discussed options including restaurants in the area, ready-to-eat meals (to be served with rice, which we provide as part of our pantry), and choices from Saffire’s kitchen. I understand your choice to decline these options. But not cooking makes a stay at Thalia challenging! In future, I will be more careful in explaining that self-contained is not bed-and-breakfast: guests at Thalia cook for themselves for their entire stay and bring all their own provisions. We help by providing a pantry of essentials (flour, sugar, spices, olive oil, vinegar, teas and coffees) to support your menu. In fact, that is why I asked if you were driving to Saffire from Hobart: I wanted to offer a list of places to buy the most delicious groceries! Thalia is in the cleanest part of the world, so we do not supply bottled water: instead, we use rainwater, the cleanest water known (we run it through an ultra-violet filter to eliminate concerns from guests who are not used to rainwater). Thalia is extremely private, which is why we can offer an outdoor bath tub: no one can see you! I was surprised that you thought you needed to lock and unlock doors every time you used them: I’m sorry that you didn’t luxuriate in Thalia’s privacy. It sounds like you had a windy time! While that might be expected in a coastal location in the Roaring Forties, I wish you had contacted our manager: as noted in our emails and in the house manual, she lives 5 minutes away, and she would have been handy to move the fallen tree! Thank you also for noting that some ash blew into the house during that wind. Regrettably, that is a side effect of a working fireplace. We clean out the fireplace after every visit, and I have asked our manager to perform an additional last-minute sweep if guests are due to arrive on a windy day. Regarding communication: I sent you directions 3 weeks prior to your arrival, and again on the day of your visit, in addition to multiple communications about food during your stay. In future I will be more proactive to be sure guests have received these details and brought them along on their travels. I am sorry that although we also spoke and emailed during your stay, you didn’t tell me about the difficulties you were having. Had I known, I might have figured some way to help! Thank you again for choosing us for part of your stay in Tasmania. Your experience has been helpful in changing our procedures for future guests.
sisty2016
Hobart, Australia
“The 60th Crew!”
Reviewed March 10, 2016 for a stay in February 2016

Great pre trip service/communications with owners.

Loved the location and amenities :) The company sealed the deal for a very memorable experience :)

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: can't say all good!
Liked least: hmmm probably another toilet would have been good
Friends getaway Large groups
11 Mar 2016
Thank you for your review. I hope we can welcome you back some day.
Cindy B
“Brilliant Venue”
Reviewed March 10, 2016 for a stay in February 2016

To celebrate a significant birthday, I booked Thalia for a long weekend away full of cooking and lazing with 6 other friends. I couldn't have asked for a better start to my next decade of life, and we spent the time eating, playing board games, staying up late and revelling in each other's company. I couldn't begin to explain what a joyeous experience Thalia gave me, from the little details like the locally made and sourced soaps, the brass details on the doors and windows, a set of speakers in each room so you can play your own soundtrack to your holidays and how Thalia is stocked with things that just make you happy - throw rugs, books, comfy couches, a giant tea pot. The sauna, outside bath tub, these are just the gravy to the roast. Thalia is the perfect place to stay for a mini break, far enough to feel like you're going on a proper holiday, but still very much Tasmanian in vibe and ambiance. I cannot wait to book my next stay there with another group of friends, just so I can see the joy register on their face. Disneyland might be touted as the happiest place on earth, but Thalia is the most comforting.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
11 Mar 2016
I'm so glad that Thalia worked well for your group - I look forward to welcoming you again, for your next milestone birthday, or, hopefully, sooner.
Lyndallau...
Dubai
“It could have been Mallorca!”
Reviewed February 8, 2016 for a stay in November 2015

We spent a long weekend at Thalia with two other couples and all of us said 'we will be back, annually'! Once you come over the hill through the farm, suddenly the views of the water and Hazards comes into sight - and what a sight - to the left and right are pristine beaches with not one person to be seen - and this was the case for our whole stay. Feeling completely remote but feeling so comfortable and cocooned by the stone pavilions that make up this complex. Double sided open fire crackled away the whole time we were there (can still be cool in November) warming the living and kitchen, whilst the further three bedrooms are separated by a sheltered courtyard complete with olive trees. The kitchen is magnificent, you can cook up a gourmet meal or sit at the table with a glass of wine and just admire the view. The bedrooms are large as are the beds - only one slight issue, and that was only one of the pavilions had an ensuite the other two had wash basins and there is a bed on a mezzanine level in the lounge room which does have another bathroom attached. We were fine with this, but, maybe for the elderly or guests with children it could be a problem in the night.

Susan, our host was fantastic with our booking, and most accommodating with any requests. I have no hesitation in recommending this as one of the most beautiful holiday stays on the wonderful East Coast of Tasmania - beats staying in a hotel any day!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The remoteness and the views
Liked least: not all rooms have ensuites
Friends getaway People with pets
9 Mar 2016
Thank you for your visit, and for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I look forward to welcoming you back again, soon.
sophiehx
Sydney, Australia
“The most incredible place”
Reviewed January 10, 2016 for a stay in December 2015

Thalia Haven is one of the most incredible places we have ever stayed. It's difficult to say what's more beautiful - the views of the wild, sweeping landscape of Great Oyster Bay, or the wonderful architecture of the property. We loved the open plan layout, filled with light even on a somewhat grey Tasmanian weekend, drinking Tasmanian pinot that we picked up from a local cellar door whilst playing board games and overlooking the sea, the outdoor bath and woodfired sauna, and my boyfriend loved cooking steak across the open fire.

The architecture and interior of the property were beautifully designed, with lots of nice touches (colouring books for children, birthday cake candles etc, map of the view) which really enhanced what was already an amazing location. Susan was incredibly communicative and helpful both prior to and during our stay, and we couldn't recommend it more highly - friends of ours have already booked to go later in the year. We're a young couple, but would recommend to all ages and families, and we wished we hadn't left our dog in Sydney!

The house was the perfect place to relax and feel like you were worlds away from anyone, and yet easily accessible and close to top Tasmanian East Coast attractions (we visited Coles Bay and Maria Island). An incredible weekend.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
11 Jan 2016
I'm so glad you two had such a lovely time - it's hard to go wrong with Great Oyster Bay right outside :) It's good to be able to relax together, and with Freycinet National Park, Wineglass Bay, Maria Island, Douglas-Apsley National Park, the East Coast wineries, even MONA, all easy day trips from Thalia, there are activities to suit lots of tastes. Not to mention a beach to explore, games to play, and glasses to fill! Please come again, soon.
Clamber
“Beautiful, relaxed, gorgeous location.”
Reviewed January 6, 2016 for a stay in November 2015

Our daughter's mother-in-law was visiting from the UK and we wanted to show her some of Tasmania's really beautiful and unique locations. Thalia was the number one pick to show off! Once through the gate from the highway, you wend your way through farmland,then through coastal scrub, wondering just where the trail is leading you. Catching sight of the house is quite wonderful. The views from the house are simply amazing, and the house itself (if you can call it a house - more a series of dwellings) is spectacular. At the same time as the house impresses, it also welcomes and enfolds its guests. The wind can be howling outside, but inside all is calm and peaceful. The kitchen provides both fantastic vistas of the spectacular Oyster Bay and every mod con. The bedrooms are independent of each other and allow just a distant hint of the sound of the waves rolling onto the rocks; enough to soothe anyone to sleep. Our group of five adults and five children (including babies) was easily accommodated. The written instructions were clear and easily understood and allowed the 16 year old to produce her own birthday dinner! It is difficult to overstate just how lovely this place is, in every way. The nearby, private beach is a bonus.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Difficult to choose between the view and the accommodation. Both great.
Liked least: There was genuinely nothing we did not like.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
7 Jan 2016
Thank you for such a thoughtful review! I'm glad to see that Thalia's separate buildings worked well for your extended family, with lots of ways to be together, or to have private space and time apart - perfect. Please come again :)
Joy M
Perth, Australia
“Special place for a special occassion”
Reviewed October 12, 2015 for a stay in October 2015

Spent a long weekend here in October 2015 - the annual 'sibling' catch up. What a perfect place to do this - a spectacular location and a wonderful, comfortable and calming home. We liked: The kitchen - we're foodies so appreciated having all the bells and whistles. The views - so mesmerising to watch the roll of the ocean and the play of light on the sea and sky during the day. The sounds of nature - waves, wind. The isolation - made us feel like we had escaped! The sauna and bath - all well used! We didn't like: the lack of ensuites for each room. But hey, that's a minor overall.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the isolation and ther kitchen
Liked least: lack of ensuites
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
13 Oct 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review! I'm glad you enjoyed our beautiful East Coast. And Thalia's separate cottages/bed rooms work well for a group such as yours. Please come again :)
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing