“Old and not worth the money”

Sawmill Creek Resort
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Pittsburgh, PA
“Old and not worth the money”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend trip in Aug since it was close to Cedar Point and we had a family reunion there. We have 3 kids, ages 10, 7 and 3 and there wasn't much for them to do. The pool area is ok but its ice cold and there is not a kiddie pool. They did have a sketch artist working for tips and a little craft area but that's about it.
There is no free contintental breakfast or coffee.
The rooms were probably great in 1990 but haven't been upated or cleaned since.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Amb_in_Pittsburgh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Oberlin, Ohio
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We liked the room,but lodge could use some up dateing. Had to park so far from it, because there was no parking near the room. I had to walk from the main entrance to the Ontario building to park. I talked to a lot of people who had also walked a long way to park. Not too helpful to have a trailer block at least 8 spaces right in front of the building! The food at the restaurant was excellent.
We did not enjoy the New Years’ eve party. The bands were not very good, and we did not enjoy the drunken lead singer. We tried to request some songs, and were told they could not do requests. They did not play enough slow songs; they also just stopped playing and left. We did not know if they were done or changing bands. You would have been better with a DJ.
Bartenders were inconsistent, some drinks were to strong some to weak, depended on bartender. Wine for midnight drink was so bad no one would drink it.
Our party will not come back, or recommend any one to go to your New Years‘eve party, unless we can be assured these problems are solved.

Room Tip: diffrent hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CRichter42

Travellers are raving about these Huron hotels

Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We have been going to this resort for the past few years for a Christmas Party. The rooms are ok but they could use some updating. We had a problem with the tub this year . The water was not going out when we took a shower. We called the front desk and asked the to fix it and they said they would. We called at 7:00 pm. We checked out at 9:00 am the next day and the tub was not fixed. Poor service

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank rawdogg
Vermilion, Ohio
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Nice place, nice property, the setting was all nice. I attended this buffet last year and it was quite good. This year our food was cold and they had to be told to "turn up the heat." The final straw was artificial potatoes. For 23.99 a plate, I was quite disappointed. I can get "Hungry Jack " potatoes any day of the week. They slipped up this year. Lets hope they step in up next year. The staff could have been a little more friendly as well. The way I'm feeling now, its doubtful I will be back. I was quite embarrassed for the guests that I invited.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Anthony B
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We wanted a change for the Thanksgiving Holiday so my husband and I took our three children (3 and 6) to this resort. We had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner buffet. The food was decent and my kids enjoyed selecting their own food and desserts. We spent some time at the pool (clean, lots of towels), went on the paved nature trail to the beach and also took the hayride to look at the holiday lights. It wasn't the most spectacular display I've seen but for a three year old and two six year olds, it was magical. The whole resort was nicely decorated for the holidays. Everything was clean and neat. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. My daughter's stuffed animal got mixed up with the bed sheets and was missing when we checke out. The manager took my phone number and actually called when they found the stuffed animal who had a nice "bath" in with the towels. He is mailing it back to us, which I think goes above and beyond.

Some of the other posts complained about the decor being outdated. The resort has a lodge theme and their were a lot of deer pictures and Native American pieces but I found it to be charming, rather than outdated. It was clean and comfortable so that's all that really mattered to me for my family.

We visited the Sawmill Creek Shops too. They aren't as family friendly as the rest of the place. We found the sales staff to be very snooty. I went in with my two older kids and my husband came in separately with our three year old. It was Black Friday so there was plenty of people on staff. No one greeted me, no one said hello to us. The two sales women at the door just stared at us - kind of like they were worried that my children were going to break something. My kids are very well behaved - and if they do happen to break something accidentally- oh well - we'll pay for it of course. My husband said that one saleswoman actually followed him around, pretending not to be following him. No one spoke to him either. I heard one saleswoman giving a customer a spiel about their specials for the day and what was on sale. We received no such spiel. And it isn't like their merchandise was that high-end either - typical gift shop items. I spent $20. I might have spent more if they were nicer to us.

All in all it was a very lovely two night stay. We would come back again - maybe in the summer next time.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank P L
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My wife and I got away for the weekend. We wanted to go to Cedar Point, but wanted a nice place to stay for the day before. We searched out Sawmill Creek Resort because it looked like a good place for a quiet stay. When we arrived, we really liked the grounds of the resort. Lake Erie was just a minute drive toward the back of the resort and the golf course surrounded the resort. At first glance, the buildings seemed older, but once we entered the place, it was very nice inside. It had a lodge theme with fireplaces in several locations, a large scenic fountain, live entertainment, several restaurants, snack bars, shops, and a large indoor pool with a small waterfall from the hot tub. There is also a large outdoor pool, but it was closed because it was Oct. The pool was very nice and warm. Our room was nice and had a fireplace which was wonderful. We used the business center and ate breakfast at one of the restaurants (Salmon Run) in the morning. At Salmon Run, you felt like you were outside. There was a running stream right outside the windows and a squirrel kept peaking at us from the window.
The staff at the resort were VERY nice to us. The resort is at a great spot because it is in a quiet location, but just one exit away from tons of restaurants and shopping opportunities. You could literally see Cedar Point from the property when you are at the shore of the lake. So it is no far away either.
We had a wonderful getaway and I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FamilyVacationer031
Westerville
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband and I decided to stay at the Sawmill Creek Resort at the spur of the moment. We booked the wine tasting tour and had an amazing time! Everyone at the resort was very friendly and accomodating! The food was spectacular and we enjoyed the indoor pool! The place is beautiful! We were upgraded to a jacuzzi room which was so awesome we stayed an extra night! We went at the perfect time because there was hardly anyone there! Nick the bellhop is a great help!!! Take a trip to the beach while you're there!!
Alex & Connie Sombaty

Room Tip: Enjoy of their tours or take a trip to the beach!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelingwithsombaty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
5.4 km away
7.7 km away
Castaway Bay
Castaway Bay
#8 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Sawmill Creek Resort? Share your experiences!