“What you Expect”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Kent
Milwaukee
“What you Expect”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have stayed here several times and it is clean and well maintained. The staff at the front desk (Stuart) was very friendly and helpful. The only issue we had was we went a bit later for breakfast one morning and there wasn't much left. Otherwise things were fine.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 10 March 2012

From Dean the friendly night manager to a great breakfast this is the place to stay. Dean gave great directions to local stores. The adjoining rooms were somewhat loud when we arrived, but very quickly got quiet after we all got settled in. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: First floor was easy to get to.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Reynolds3701
Ontario
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We were in town for a baseball tournament. We booked one of the Suites with a Sofa bed! The fridge and counter space in the room was wonderful! The floors seem a little thin either that or the people above us were from the Circus!!! I swear they were moving Elephants up there! They woke us up at 6:20am on the one morning we got to sleep in. Over all our stay was pretty good. Breakfast in the morning was perfect for the boys. Nutritious and plenty of it! The pool in this hotel was perfect for the kids! There were basketball nets to keep them entertained! We would stay here again but would request the top floor to avoid noise!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Hockeymum514
San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 July 2011

When I stayed, I had a standard room, but it didn't feel standard! It was roomy, and very nice and clean. Everything about it was pleasant.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Spent the night of June 4th at this hotel and had a very pleasant stay. We purchased the executive room which is larger and has a pull out sleeper sofa, microwave and refrigerator. The pull out sofa worked well for our child and was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent - hot and well stocked. We would definitely stay here again if in the area, mainly due to the extra space of the executive room allowing bedding for 5 people.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank smartypants01
Tallmadge, Ohio
Reviewed 12 March 2011

This hotel is very nice. The staff is very helpful and willing to go the extra mile to help someone out. We had a suite with a nice Jacuzzi Tub. It was wonderful. Only down side is there is not a lot to do right around the hotel unless you go into Kent but obviously that is not the hotels fault :) However nothing is extremely far away so it was fine. Very peaceful and I would love to come back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Nice facility. Spent two nights. First night was fine even though front desk warned us there were two college track teams staying at this hotel on Friday. Never heard a sound Friday night/Saturday morning. Spoke to several members of these teams at breakfast on Saturday and they were polite, well mannered young adults. Why is this important to this review. . . because our second night was a night from hell.

At about 11:20PM Saturday night all hell broke loose in the room directly above mine. It sounded as if someone was bowling and jumping on the beds and furniture. Repeated rolling of something across the floor and then a LOUD BANG.!! When the noise did not cease after approximately twenty minutes, I called the room to ask them to be quite. No answer.

I then attempted for in excess of 35 minutes to reach someone at the front desk. . . . no answer and no ability to leave a message. Finally, after being subjected to this ruckous for more than an hour, I went to the front desk. While on the way to the elevator, I could hear the elevator stopped at the floor above me and what sounded like a large, loud group entering. As the elevator stopped on my floor, I found only two individuals on the elevator, one of them highly intoxicated. This individual confirmed to me that he indeed was coming from the room directly above mine and I expressed to him my unhappiness with all of the noise .

As the doors opened to the lobby, the intoxicated subject left as quickly as he could. The front desk attendant advised that he had received multiple complaints about this room but had not yet done anything about it. The attendant had no explanation why the front desk phone had gone unanswered for over 35 minutes.

I returned to my room confident the problem would now be resloved. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I listened to all of the banging for another twenty minutes before I once again attempted to call the front desk. This time my call was answered. The attendant advised me that he had called the room. Having had enough, I told the desk attendant he would either solve the problem or I would!!! Approximately five minutes later, the noise finally stopped and I was able to get to sleep.

The next morning at checkout the desk attendant (different from the night before) failed to inquire how my stay was. I commented on the fact she did not ask about the stay and she stated "I think I already know." When I suggested that it was never a good idea to rent a room to persons that are obviously intoxicated, her response was "how did I know they were drunk?" No apology or explanation on why the front desk phone was not answered for over 35 minutes but instead I had to explain why I knew the subjects were highly intoxicated. A refresher course in staff courtesy/helpfullness is in order for the front desk employees of this hotel.

Moral of the story, college track teams staying at a hotel insure a quite night for other paying guests . . . renting rooms to drunks does not!! I hope if the management of this particular Holiday Inn Express reads this review, they review with their attorneys the liability that can result from renting rooms to highly intoxicated persons.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CincyXC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
0.2 km away
12.1 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
11.4 km away
Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls

Been to Holiday Inn Express Kent State University? Share your experiences!