“Canoeing is a must”

Hocking Hills Adventures
Ranked #13 of 20 things to do in Logan
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: The original canoe livery in the Hocking Hills offers the best trips by canoe, kayak, raft or tube. Special events include Romantic Moonlight tours and Torchlight tours. Camp along the secluded banks off the Hocking River or stay in a rustic cabin. Hocking Valley Canoe Livery also has special packages that include go-karts, miniature golf and horseback riding. We strive to exceed our guests expectations in providing memorable outdoor experiences that are FUN, SAFE and CLEAN.
Reviewed September 14, 2017

We went canoeing with our two boys last fall, and loved it. Fun for the family, beautiful colors in fall, relaxing and fun trip.

All reviews
"mini fridge"
"fun swimming"
"checked in quickly"

Reviewed August 27, 2017

This was our second time canoeing, first time being at Mohican State Park. We went on a Wednesday to avoid the weekend madness. We chose the 7 mile trip which stated lasted 2-3 hours. Humorous bus ride to get to the drop off spot, after getting a life jacket and oar from the registration shop. We pre registered, and did our waivers online a week before the trip and paid in advance, which made checking in a breeze. For being a drought year, there was plenty of water to float down in. A few shallow areas and tree hazards to avoid and only came apon 4 other canoes going downstream. Beautiful scenery! My advice would to go early, to mid morning, before the sun gets too hot. Floating with not much effort into rowing, the trip was 2 hours. We will do this again.

Reviewed August 10, 2017

Campground was overbooked. People were having to share campsites! When we got there, there was no sites left that had both fire ring and picnic table. We ended up sharing with our neighbors. Showers are not walking distance, and the toilets at the campground are port-pottys that werent cleaned since 7/18. SO NASTY!!! The wood that was available to buy, was wet, so it wouldnt stay lit. Pictures on the website are very deceiving, I have been to many campgrounds around Ohio and this was BY FAR THE WORST! Best thing about our stay was the sweet girl at the front desk.

ShaneB195, Manager at Hocking Hills Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

I am so sorry your stay at the campground was so disappointing! The Riverside Campground is a primitive campground located by the river and as a result we are unable to have a shower house (with flushing toilets) down there so close to the river. On the website it does show the shower houses are located at the Fun Center; I apologize if this was not clear. The porta-pottys in the campground are emptied every week but occasionally we get some guests who may not be as respectful of the bathroom facility as we would hope, ruining it for other guests.

In addition, I apologize that you did not have your own fire ring and picnic table. It is not possible for the campground to be "over booked." In fact we have extra sites, extra picnic tables, and fire rings. I am not sure what happened during your stay that people were sharing sites but it was not due to our reservations or overbooking. I can see why this would be frustrating and please know this is not acceptable. We pride ourselves on having very large campsites (bigger than any campground I have ever been to) that comfortable fit up to 10 guests.

As it appears you are an avid camper and this is not the impression we would like for our facility. We would love it if you would consider staying at the Riverside Campground again. Please contact Sybil so we can make this right.

Reviewed August 9, 2017

We chose Hocking Hills Adventures for our family's river trip because of the "Fun Pack" advertised on their webpage. This sounds like a great deal... $34 per adult and $25 per child for canoe trip 1 or 2, 2 go kart rides and a round of mini-golf. What I didn't realize was the kayak trip is much less expensive than canoes and we over-paid when we settled on kayaks as our boat option. I would have saved money by purchasing everything separately!

In addition, the website advertises that drivers shorter than 56" can ride the kid kart. I had hoped this would mean my children (ages 6 and 9) could drive their own cars. Unfortunately, none of the kids karts were working and so we all had to ride "double" with parents only as drivers. The go karts were fun, but kids were disappointed not to be able to drive themselves. The mini-golf course is pretty sad. My children did not enjoy this mini-golf course at all. Buyer Beware - river trips are great, but skip the fun center. This is only a savings if you are using a canoe, and even then, it is not worth the price. If you are kayaking... this is a true rip-off!

ShaneB195, Manager at Hocking Hills Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2017

Hey thanks for the review.

Actually kayaking is more expensive than canoeing. Trip 1 is $23 per kayak and $38 per canoe. However a canoe can hold two adults and two children, so if your break it down per person a canoe trip is $19 per person compared to the kayak for $23

I appreciate your feedback , currently if you do a canoe for trip 2- which is $48 per canoe. So say $24 per person because a canoe holds two. $24 plus two go-kart rides is $16 plus mini golf is $5 is $45 per person. Savings of $11

I know what you saying and really appreciate your feedback. We plan to tweak the fun pack to make it a better deal for everyone.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 5, 2017

This was just an ok experience for us. First, the guy pushed our canoe into the river before my mom was sitting and we ended up tipping over. So I don't know if that is why this post is harsh or not. The total adventure took us about two hours to complete. I wish that they would've explained a little bit more how to manuever the canoe. I know how to paddle a canoe, but neither my mom or my two 7 years old knew how to and it made it more difficult cause then I had to try and tell them everything. Which added frustration cause then it was more I was telling them what to do instead of having a great time.

ShaneB195, General Manager at Hocking Hills Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2017

Hey there!

Thanks for the review! So bummed to hear you tipped in the beginning of your trip! That would make a bad experience for most people.

We do try to give basic paddle instruction to our customers but sometimes it can be difficult. Most of our customers just want to get on the river as soon as possible. We do have a safety video you could have watched in the office.

All the best!