Hocking Hills Adventures
Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Neat Place for kids!

We used Hocking Hills Adventures for a family getaway. It's only about 2.5 hours from home. It's a... read more

Reviewed October 8, 2018
Msdanaj
Cincinnati, Ohio
Riverside Campground

We recently reserved a site and stayed at the Riverside campground. Good atmosphere and is perfect... read more

Reviewed September 6, 2018
clarks769
Indianapolis, Indiana

All reviews mini golf fun center canoe trip the river riverside campground canoe livery primitive camping hocking hills putt putt porta potties nice campsite launch site water level single kayaks camping experience relaxing trip rock bridge
Reviewed May 22, 2018

Beautiful trip ! We had brand new kayaks. The river was nice and clean. The river had areas to stop for lunch. We really enjoyed it. Thanks

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank Jeff M
Reviewed May 12, 2018 via mobile

Did the Rock bridge trip and had a great time. The man who dropped us off at the launch point was very friendly, knowledgeable about the area, and helpful. If you go on any trip that passes by the Rock Bridge, I would definitely recommend stopping and do the short hike to check it out. The water level seemed a little low and we got stuck once, but I would attribute that to the fact neither of us were extremely experienced at canoeing. All in all, it was a nice, relaxing trip and I would recommend it.

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank Roving202431
Reviewed April 15, 2018

Two of us had reserved a riverside campground a few weeks ago. One week prior to our trip Logan (and most of Ohio) received a large amount of rain. However the water levels had gone down significantly when it was time for our trip. We started out with kayaking- which was great. We were a little late past the last transfer time, but the staff there was kind enough to drop us off. We were really happy with our experience at the Livery. We went to check in at our campsite- and the staff informed us that their river side campground was completely trashed because of the recent flooding. Now- I made this reservation weeks ago as mentioned above, but we didn't receive a phone call or anything explaining the situation prior to arrival. I understand that things happen and the campground was flooded, but I reserved the riverside campground for a reason and would have appreciated a heads up. I expressed my frustration, but the staff at the campground didn't apologize for the inconvenience or act like they cared. We were given the option of staying at their other site or at the Livery. We ended up staying at the Livery which was okay, but we were both very disappointed in the lack of professionalism of the staff at the campground. The only thing that was positive with that staff was that they gave us free firewood.

Date of experience: April 2018
2  Thank Kate S
ShaneB195, Manager at Hocking Hills Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2018

Hi Kate! Thank you for your feedback! I am so sorry you were unable to stay at the Riverside Campground. I apologize no one contacted you in advance to notify you of the unexpected flooding. We were trying to remain hopeful that the campground would dry up enough that we could have guests still stay there (even if just a few sites were usable), unfortunately that was not the case. I can absolutely see how this would be frustrating and unprofessional. Moving forward, if this happens again (I really hope it doesn't though!) we will contact guests just to check in with them and update them on the situation to give them choices a head of time and just make them aware that there may be changes. Thank you for making us aware of this issue! If you are planning another trip down here please let us know so we can make it up to you. Contact Sybil so we can make sure your stay here is the awesome experience you were looking forward to.

Reviewed October 9, 2017

I had 31 people, reserved 4 cabins, 4 camper sites, the shelter and a dozen tents for Oct 5-8. 2017. It was perfect. both camping and kayaking the 9 mile trip. The restrooms are clean, shelter was great, We even enjoyed mini golf and raced the go-carts! The staff were very helpful and pleasant, We camp/kayak monthly trips and everyone said: this is our new favorite campground!

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank 211olive
Reviewed October 3, 2017

Our group (3 adults) canoed here recently. We opted for the trip 2 and chose the canoe for 3 adults. To begin, their website said that the canoes have adjustable seat backs. It is only 2 seat backs, one of us had to sit on the plank (minor but atleast be clear). Secondly, water levels were extremely low at several points. Given the weight of 3 our canoe got stuck in the mud 8 times. In all fairness, before we started we were told the water level is low. It turned out to we were paddling in the ankle deep water at so many points and not at all meant to be for 3 adults. Guys, it is your responsibility to guide/advise the patrons that 3 adults in a canoe may not be a good idea given the water level. You know this river best!

We still managed to have a good time but there is no way I can trust the company anymore. I recently moved to Ohio and was hoping that this might become one of my regular weekend activities but it was not a good start. Thanks Hocking Hills adventures!!

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Aniket A
ShaneB195, Owner at Hocking Hills Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2017

As the owner of Hocking Hills Adventures I can tell you we try very hard to ensure that all of customers have a great outdoor experience. I want every person that comes through here to make lasting memories with their friends and families.

I guess we are at fault for assuming that you have seen a canoe before. If you had seen a canoe before you would know that there are two seats in a canoe. We have several pretty pictures of a canoe on our website. You did notice the backrests on our canoes. We are proud to be the only outfitter (that I know of anyways) that includes the backrest on a canoe for no additional charge. We put through several thousand families each year and they are range from different skills levels. However this is a reminder that some people are completely unfamiliar with the sport and we need to find a way to identify those customers to ensure they get extra support.

I would like to answer your question about why we allow three people in a canoe. In my experience some families want to be together. Often they lack the paddling experience or are afraid to paddle by themselves. In addition as in your case, it would be more expensive to rent canoe and a kayak. For the reason we leave the decision up to the families. We did warn you that the levels are low.

To be honest with you, I canoe the river regularly and ask customers of the water conditions. Some portions of the river at are low and you may have to get out of the boats a few times. People do not report getting stuck as many times as you did. In your case I believe it is a reflection of your paddling skills. It is not uncommon for people to not pick up on paddling techniques the first second or even third time. We can provide basic instruction but we are not a paddling class. For that I would recommend you look into the American Canoe Association. They have several wonderful classes that can teach you the basics of steering.

All the best to you, it is my hope that you get on the river again soon and enjoy the great outdoors