“Delicious BBQ, a few hiccups in service”

Smokey Bones BBQ & Grill
Ranked #19 of 112 Restaurants in Maumee
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 30 January 2017

I dined here about 10 days ago with my wife, another couple and our posse of kids on our way across Ohio. We chose this place because we would arrive around dinner time and it was not far off the interstate.

I had called ahead to secure a table for 9, and the person told me that they don't take reservations on weekends, but he would put my name down anyway. We arrived about 20-30 minutes later and, even though there were empty tables available for us, we waited 10+ minutes for another large party to leave their table and reset it. Why is this? Is the back room where they sat us the only place they put parties of 6 or more? We could've easily put 2 tables together in the main area in less than 30 seconds (I am a 21yr veteran of the restaurant business) and made the kids happy with food in their faces that much faster.

When we did sit, our server Dan took very good care of us. We were ready with food orders after the drinks came, and we enjoyed our dishes. Special raves for the ribs and salads, and the kids liked their pulled pork and chicken fingers. The staff turned our TV over to football for those interested as well.

One beef with us adults: there is a "game console" on the tables and the kids started playing (as kids will do) and when Dan let us know that it charged $1.99 per game we freaked out - WHY IS THIS NOT PLAINLY EXPLAINED? Dan made sure it was removed from our table check, and moved the console away from our table.

Overall, good food and a warm ambience, but they need to reevaluate how they deal with larger parties.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

This place is usually a safe bet for a midscale restaurant, but not on our recent visit. They were out of Pork - Brisket - Soup - Sirloin steak & several other items. Our server was good.... but the vibe from the staff was tense .... was told they have Management issues.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

Stopped here on my way to Columbus and had lunch. We were seated quickly and orders taken in record time. I ordered the Stacked Baked Potato & Salad, my friend ordered the fish and chips; we decided to split the entrees. The potato was well cooked, and piled high with all the goodies that you expect on a potato and pulled pork! Oh my goodness. This was really, really good. The fish was cooked nicely, light breading on it.

I can see myself coming here again. Great service - and the checking out at the table, splitting the bill yourself was really interesting.

Great food, great wait staff. I would stop here again.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

The hostess was friendly. There were more than 15 empty tables at 7:30 pm. but there was still a 10 min wait to be seated. Then, were told they were out of many of the entrees on the menu. When food arrived, it was ok, but not good. We were very disappointed. Adequate management is clearly lacking in this location. Disappointing

Smokey B, Manager at Smokey Bones BBQ & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2017

Hi T J, we appreciate you taking the time to respond. The staff at Smokey Bones take our reviews very seriously. We would appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to follow up, please email us at feedback@smokeybones.com with your contact information and a few details about your visit including the location of the restaurant.

Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

We've eaten here many times, and usually enjoy the meal. Today was a bit of a disappointment. The brisket had a lot of fat, the steamed broccoli was mushy, and the service was mediocre. Also, the dining area was uncomfortably cold. As we were leaving, I mentioned the cold, and the hostess explained that the thermostat is close to the fireplace, so the heat does not come on. When customers are wearing coats during their meals and people are asking to move to tables near the kitchen, they should realize there is a problem. I guess we won't be back until summer.

Smokey B, Guest Relations Manager at Smokey Bones BBQ & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2016

Hi John48162, we appreciate you taking the time to respond. The staff at Smokey Bones take our reviews very seriously. Our manager would like to help turn your lackluster experience around. If you're willing, please contact our manager at (419) 893-3543 to discuss what we can do to help.