“Dinner”

Port City Cafe & Pub
Ranked #13 of 75 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Irish
Description: Inspired by the warmth and camaraderie of Irish pubs, we are nestled in the Ohio River town of Portsmouth. We feature a blend of classic pub fare as well as local favorites, along with 9 brews on tap and beers sourced both regionally and from the Celtic Isles. In the evenings, we host group get-togethers, open poetry nights, Pub Quiz nights, and opportunities for local musicians to try out their latest work. On Friday and Saturday nights, sit back and enjoy live music, accompanied by a premium whiskey, wine, or mixed drink special from our full bar.
Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

Husband had bangers and mash which he love. The loaded mac and cheese had jalapenos it is which was good. I had a cheeseburger and fries. The cheesburger was a little bland but alright. I also had a mixed drink the pineapple upside down cake. And in case you were wondering yes it tasted like its namesake.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed May 5, 2018 via mobile

We ordered the fish and chips and a burger. Both hit the spot. The Poky La Farge was so good it was dangerous. I had a local brew that hit the spot. The singer/guitar player livened up the place.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed March 18, 2018

This is an Irish pub so we went on St. Patrick's Day. We got there about 5:00PM and the place was packed. There was live music in the back room and no place to sit so we went to the front and found one table. It was loud but it is a pub so no problem. Our server came up and we said "How are you?" and she said "I'm terrible. I hate St. Patrick's Day." Okay, so much for friendly service. I ordered a cocktail. She brought my drink and my husband then ordered a Guinness (it WAS St. Patrick's Day). I ordered a Reuben. Fries were $2.00 extra. My husband ordered fish & chips. We waited a little while and another server asked us what we had ordered. Food came in a timely manner. The fries were just warm, but tasted good. My husband's fish & chips was one piece of fish and some fries (barely warm). The food tasted good, though. The second server asked if I wanted another drink. It arrived in a much smaller cup than the first. Both were plastic. I asked about the size and she said they must have run out of the larger cups. Price was the same, though. Our check was almost $40, about half of that was the drinks. The servers seemed overwhelmed, but being that it was St. Patrick's Day, they should have been more prepared. This pub is the leader of our local Irish celebration. Seemed kind of disorganized. We hadn't been to Port City for quite awhile and don't know if we will go back.

Date of visit: March 2018
Cory M, General Manager at Port City Cafe & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2018

Thank you for stopping by to see us, and we truly appreciate the feedback! St. Patrick's Day can tend to be crazy at times, we tend to have close to 1000 people come through the doors on that day. I would like to invite you back during a normal business day to give us another try. You mentioned that you haven't been in for awhile, and we have made a few improvements over the last year that is hard to showcase on such a busy day. Again, thanks for the feedback and we apologize for the drink confusion. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

It's tough to get a good dinner salad in this town, but Port City is great. Their soup is delicious too. You can tell they put a lot of care into their ingredients.

Date of visit: June 2017
Cory M, General Manager at Port City Cafe & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2017

Thanks for taking time to leave us such a nice review! We do pride ourselves in always using the best ingredients available. Glad you enjoy us!

Reviewed May 19, 2017

A nice establishment in a desert of opportunities. Loved the beer selections ( it's an Irish Pub) and the food was good. It was good pub food, not haute cuisine. It was substantial and good.. If I am ever in the area, I will return.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank Joe C
Cory M, Manager at Port City Cafe & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2017

Thanks for stopping in! We are glad you enjoyed it. See you again soon!