“Definitely not up to par” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Knights Inn & Suites ST Clairesville

Knights Inn & Suites ST Clairesville
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Saint Clairsville
Tijuana, Mexico
“Definitely not up to par”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

I realize that when you reserve a hotel with "Econo" in the name, you will not be staying at the Ritz, however, there should be some sort of standard. It was obvious that this hotel was lacking in attention. Our room did not have any towels at all when we checked in, the toilet paper roll was empty, the tv remote did not work. At breakfast, both coffee urns were empty and we were the only people there at 7:30 am. A somewhat frustrating experience.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank AmigoArturoArturo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Russiaville, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

First time I didn't read Trip Advisor reviews. Big Mistake!! I booked there only to acquire points with my Choice Privileges credit card. First flag should have been when I called the hotel directly and the desk clerk told me to reserve my room ONLINE. We were attending my niece's wedding reception in nearby WV; me, my husband, daughter, and son-in-law. We wanted one room with two queen beds. We would only be there to sleep and shower. We left Indiana early Saturday morning. It was a six hour drive and we requested an early check-in for the five o'clock reception. Unfortunately, we got two flat tires in Columbus that delayed our arrival time. We checked in at 3:47PM. Our room was NOT ready, although RESERVED. Okay. Four people needing to shower and change for 5PM Reception that was 30 minutes away. We were assigned to room 124. Upon entering, the dirt was visible, but we were extremely short of time. I ran my hand over the desk and it was full of dust. One entire wall was tinted mirror, like it had two-way viewing. There was a pubic hair in the tub (not ours) and only two hand towels in the bathroom. I went back to the front desk and had to wait to ask for towels. The man handed me only two. I reminded him that there were four adults, so he grudgingly gave me additional towels and wash cloths. I went back to the desk to complain about the room, but the lobby was busy with incoming guests and I did not have the luxury of time. Also, curtains didn't completely close and let light in. Other lights did not work at all. Then, I went to iron my husband's new shirt, and rusty water came out of the sprayer. There was also a sticky substance on the iron. Luckily, it didn't show when he wore the shirt to the reception. We arrived at the reception over an hour late. I was the designated driver, so I was not inebriated when we returned to the hotel, prior to midnight. The hotel listed a bar on site and the sign was brightly lit as we parked the car. We went to our room and decided we would check it out and have a nightcap at the hotel. Two guys were sitting in the lobby and my daughter asked how to get to the bar. The guys told her that they had been there for four days and the bar had never been open. They were discussing its location, when the desk clerk (a.k.a. assistant manager, Pierce) SLAMMED his hand down on the desk. I walked over to the desk and asked if there was a problem. Pierce stated, "Yes. There will be a problem, if I have to refund the guests' money in room 118 because you are too loud." My husband, who came up behind me said, "Problems? I've had a problem with this hotel since we checked in here." It was about to get ugly, so I intervened. I was a guest service manager in retail for 17 years. I would have fired him on the spot for his actions. I asked him why he didn't simply come around the desk and ask everyone to please lower their voices, if he thought we were too loud. He stated that he wanted to get our attention. He did, but in a negative manner. First of all, we were not being loud. We were using a regular conversation volume. Secondly, we were in the LOBBY, a common guest area. Thirdly, the bar sign was lit outside, indicating that the hotel bar was open for business. I proceeded to advise him of the condition of the room and the problems incurred during our initial check-in. The "Assistant Manager" advised me that "if I was 'unhappy' with the room that I could check out of the hotel in the morning." Whoa! That's a great way to invite return business. My understanding of the area was that the hotels were full due to being a holiday weekend and several area events. I told him I wasn't sure of hotel availability and I wasn't sure what we would decide. Pierce then told me that he "would NOT refund me the Saturday night rate, as it was the higher of the rate, but would only charge me half rate for Sunday if I decided to stay." He's in the wrong completely and he's acting like he's doing me a favor. This is not going well and my family is getting increasingly irate. My daughter had worked for Best Western and she was livid. Let me interject here that my husband and I are in our late 50s and my daughter and her husband are in their mid 30s, so we weren't drunken, crazy people. I admonished Pierce for his lack of professionalism and attitude as a hotel manager and offered him some sage advice about guest negotiations. He quickly entered some notes into the hotel computer, probably listing me as a "bad guest." Back in our room, we held a family conference and decided to check out the next day. Bottom line: DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! Avoid the Econo Lodge at all cost. We drove over to the RED ROOF INN and checked into their hotel the next day. Sherry set us up with a CLEAN room at a great rate. We thought we died and went to heaven!

Room Tip: This property is dirty. Employees are rude.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank MBrown4059

Travellers are raving about these Saint Clairsville hotels

Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

Came for an over night with our kids...since it was their Spring Break...wanted to find a reasonable place with a pool, game room etc.
When we looked at places in the area, my husband thought this one would be fine....
We were disappointed...the outside looks great...but once you enter...very dirty.
I thought maybe because they have alot of construction workers?? Don't have time to sweep up the dried mud?? Really??
The game room was in the basement, none of the games worked (dart board, driving game, pool tables...the only one was the golf game that worked.) Dirt, cracked tiles, empty beer tops on floor...the bar is right next door. One customer was in there...
The pool had tiles chipping off in the pool, the hot tub was out of order & had caution tape all around it. (should have been crime scene tape...)
The pool did look "clean" -- and our two children did enjoy swimming there. (After all that is why we booked there...)
As my mother always told me..."You get what you pay for..." and this is the case with this hotel. Buyer beware.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Family415
West Hollywood, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2010

Late at night just passing through I had to take a rest and pulled into a horror story. The bathroom shower rod was partially attached. The light over the bed was full of dirt and grime in areas that were not backlighted. The refrigerator contained moldy, stale food. The lock on the front door was a chain link that got kinked so that I couldnt get out of the room and I had to call the seedy desk clerk to let me out of the adjorning room. The residents were suspect! I wanted a room rate deduction but ended up going to the police who informed me of the many complaints that were generated by residents who like myself only stopped here out of desperation. I was advised to contact the Ohio department of health. THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CONDEMED!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Hello00
columbus, ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

We were told that Jamboree in the Hills was going on and it appeared as though everything we looked at on the internet was filled up We had seen this hotel earlier in the month and thought it was a new facility. So we decided to just go and get what we could on the road. At 6 am they told us to come back at 10 and they would have a room for us. I had to leave my daughter in law and go check it out myself. Everything looked good from the outside and besides some fat guy sleeping in the lounge it looked clean and kept in good repair. If I had only read these reviews, if only. To start with he wanted to rent me a room with two queen size beds for $120.00. I was so tired and knew there was not alot of rooms out there since i had done some checking. So I said fine. He asked me about 15 minutes later if i would prefer a single with one bed for a lower rate. I asked him what size bed and he said queen. Of course i said yes and paid $113.00 in all. Mind you this was not even close to on line prices i had seen for this place nor what was on the marquee. As i was sitting there waiting for the room to be readied, this man haggled with one customer after another. One girl said she wanted to pay only $100 that night and he told her that is what she paid the night before and she disagreed and mentioned she wanted a jacuzzi, so this fine man told her for $150 that night he would get her one. She said ok and that she would have to go get the money which she did. Also before he gave me a "queen" sized bed and room, he tried to show me a white 8 by10 flyer for some place in Wheeling WV. It had no name of the place and i told him i didn't know my way around Wheeling and he said he would have someone I could follow. I told him no thanks to a no name hotel and the $89 a night room.I would not have gone there with my daughter in law let alone myself.
I should have known when i got into the elevator and it was so dirty and smelled so bad that it was a preview to the "fine" room to come. If I thought it smelled in the elevator I was not prepared for the hall. pheewwww. Of course the room smelled almost as bad. I knew then it was going to be bad because besides the smell he had rented me one of the smallest rooms in the hotel and it had a double bed not a queen size as promised. That really angered me beyond belief. It was 11:00am and I didn't have to pick up my daughter in law till 3:00pm what was i to do? Cry? There was a window cushion seat but of course it was very dirty and cigarette burns all over it. So you didn't want to sit there unless your a young kid who must of been high. The floor looked like it had never been vacuumed since the place opened up. It was so gross. Waiting to go get my girl I sat in a very uncomfortable, filthy chair and watched television. After putting the remote in a baggie that zips shut. something i had learned from a man who reviews hotels and motels said about all the unspeakable thinks that are found on these remotes in even the best of hotels Also he asked if I wanted smoking or nonsmoking, of course i took smoking and he asked if we both smoked and i said no only. myself, so he informs me that i should only smoke once every half hour to keep from setting off the smoke detector. or i should open the window and set there and smoke.. Plus if I set the smoke detector off he would charge me $200.00. I didn't argue with him but I don't think so dude. Needless to say we never set it off.
Now I smoke but I don't burn things and there was burns in everything.The mirror behind the bed looks like it had never been cleaned. The locks on the window were broken off. Great safety feature. Usually the first thing I do is take the bedspread off and throw it in the corner but I waited till I picked up my daughter-in-law. Then I checked for bed bugs. Had I found any I would have check out right then; The mattress was encased in a mattress case. Thank God for that and there was no trace of bed bugs. I know that my review is all over the place but the hotel was just so gross. We went down to the pool and was of course grossed out there too. There was a couple of teenagers making out in the jacuzzi I seriously doubt that they were guest most likely friends of someone who worked there. Just a hunch by their actions. Like I said I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and such and this is the worst place I have ever stayed. at. Tiles in the jacuzzi were broken off and it was quite cold in there. The sign by the hot tub said that the temp should be 104 degree but wee figured it could not have been even 76 in there it was nasty. But then that should be no surprise with the place being like it was. Plus they had windows open because evidently the air conditioners weren't working. Along with the crap outside the door leading to the outside.It was unlocked all the time I believe. We went back to our room and stayed there except for going to get something to eat. If there was mold on anything I didn't notice cause you get to the point where you stop looking for the things cause as a female i get too grossed out to keep looking very close at stuff. Although there were yellow stains on the blanket, and the sheets I just couldn't look to closely cause to sleep in the chair all night and then have to drive a full day. I just wish there was someway I could get my money back. I must say I will never go to a hotel again without checking this site. I will never spend that kind of money on a room again unless i know the place and i know what I will be in for when I lay my card or money down. I should have left and went to a Holiday Inn, a Hampton or something with something with a good reputation. Never again. The only people who I would ever recommend this place to would be construction workers or other type of guys who work on the road but only if they gave them good weekly rates. I do know that when we pulled in that morning there were alot of workmen's trucks in the parking lot.
This is one hotel that needs to be avoided at all cost it is not for family or couples or anyone who wants a clean place to put your head down for the night. I should have roan when I seen the man haggling with everyone over what they would be paying for the night, or when I seen that he charged me for a queen size bed and gave me a double. If you stay here good luck. There was no style to this place.
Do Not be fooled by the outside of the place like many others besides myself seemed to have been. Plus at the top where they want you to rate it, I feel like it dose not even deserve a terrible rating if i could have marked nothing it would have been more than it should have gotten,.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank sugar_itch
Bloomington, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

I have never in my life stayed at such a disgusting hotel! This place was a dump! The bathroom grout had mold on it, the shower curtain appeared to be from the Dollar Tree. My comforter had BLOOD on it! The carpet was filthy- not even vacuumed. The pillows had plastic covers (under the pillow case) and caused your face/neck to sweat all night. My husband wouldn't even touch the bed. He sat up all night he was so repulsed. If we had not been traveling with some family, we would have immediately retreated - - demanded a full refund and slept somewhere else. The pool was unbelievable. In the basement, for starters, their was plenty of mold around the ceilings, multiple tiles were missing from the pool walls (which I think it illegal). The elevator itself was filthy disgusting. Tons of rednecks having parties were on their way in the hotel, and proceeded to keep us up all night. The wall behind us, the floor above us, you name it. I have NEVER given a bad review to any hotel...so trust me when I say, RUN AWAY!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Cublove
indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

Our room was clean and had a small refrigerator and a flat screen TV. The pool was warm and the hot tub was hot. The basement where these are located was a bit chilly tho. The staff was friendly, especially the night counter guy. Of course it ain't the Ritz but what did you expect for the price? I've paid more to stay at worse places before. There's a bowling alley next door where we killed part of an afternoon. Personally I didn't think this was too bad a place... for what I paid I can't complain at all.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank somehoosier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Clairsville
0.9 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham ST Clairsville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#2 of 15 in Saint Clairsville
Comfort Inn Saint Clairsville
#5 of 15 in Saint Clairsville
0.9 km away
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St Clairsville
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St Cl...
#3 of 15 in Saint Clairsville
13.6 km away
Hampton Inn Wheeling
Hampton Inn Wheeling
#1 of 8 in Wheeling
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,015 reviews
0.8 km away
Candlewood Suites St. Clairsville
Candlewood Suites St. Clairsvill...
#8 of 15 in Saint Clairsville

Been to Knights Inn & Suites ST Clairesville? Share your experiences!