“Red Roof Inn is very Red Roof Inn.”

Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Saint Clairsville
North Carolina
“Red Roof Inn is very Red Roof Inn.”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This is a fairly usual Red Roof Inn. Since Red Roof Inns began renovating nationwide, like 6 years ago, they have really committed themselves to being kind of like the McDonalds of pet-friendly budget-conscious hotels. I think all the trends in hotel room decoration have changed since then, but that doesn't stop this earth-tone obsessed national experiment in Ikea stereotypes of the 1990s from charging forth with Formica counter tops and brushed steel fixtures of the people. So you don't go there for ambiance, but the expectations and market price-points indicate a clean room and a consistent experience from property to property. As with other Red Roof Inns, they welcome dogs, and the roof is red. And it is an inn.
This particular property was consistent and clean as its brand declares, at a market price in the middle of the pack. There were a few negatives and positives related to my stay here, which I will describe in that order.
First the negatives: the heat is electric, as in many Red Roof Inns. Here is the process: first you stare incredulously at the air conditioning unit, and it stares back with an icy-cold indifference. If AC units would talk, this one would say, "uhm there's a thermostat on that rust-colored wall over there, dude." AC units would most assuredly call you "dude" in order to maintain that cool, indifferent exterior. So you sense what the unit is telling you, and you operate the thermostat on the wall. Turn it clockwise and wait a few minutes. Nothing kicks on. So you look around again, you look at the AC unit and it shrugs: "I dunno, man." You then notice there are these heat-generating panels long the tops of the walls. These appear to have been invented by a guy who nailed his pancake griddle to the wall and said, "this is a great idea!" It was a freezing cold night, so I had the heat on maximum and it got up to maybe 71 or so. I was kind of hoping to be warmer in order to feel cozy after being outside in the snow, but I like to sleep in a slightly chilled atmosphere anyway, so my dog and I went to sleep. She (my dog) was a little disgruntled that there might be 20 square feet of actual grass to go sniff and eliminate on, and obviously that's a lot of dog business. I walked her down the gravel areas also, but she was like "this is gravel, not grass." I had to agree. We'll come back to the pet thing when we discuss positives, so hang in there. There was one other negative, and it was probably just a fluke or something: at the top of the stairs on the second tier of the hotel, there's this patch of roughly cut out old piece of carpet from one of the rooms, and a chair without a cushion, angled outward as if it were patio seating or something. Nearby there was another patch of old carpet, about 6 feet by 8 feet, just laying there. It kind of creeped me out, for an $80 hotel stay.. like ... toss the chair and carpet or shove them in one of the rooms you're working on. Don't leave it out like that, it looks really trashy.
Positives: First of all, pets stay free. I mean, my dog's credit card was maxed out anyway, so that is always a nice feature for Red Roof Inns, and unlike other "pet friendly" chains, you don't have to go look up the specific policies and click through the tabs to look for how much the pet fee is or how to book that special urine-soaked room where they stick anyone with a four-legged companion. No, Red Roof Inns are pet friendly, so there's no individual research to do about hidden policies and such. That leads me to another positive- the front desk staff was thrilled to have my dog staying. "We love dogs," she said with a smile! Sometimes you have to sign a little liability waiver. I don't recall if this Red Roof Inn had a waiver to sign, but the tradition of dogs trashing hotel rooms goes back to that movie where Benji was traveling across the country. As the legend goes, he trashed EVERY hotel room he stayed in, flushing dog bones and lingerie down the commodes and pooping on the night stands. Now every dog must pay for that. This Red Roof Inn is in a neat location- it is convenient to shopping and food in a fairly bustling little highway-friendly town.. i.e. there are quite a few choices in dining from fast food to sit-down chains and sports bars. The hotel itself is convenient to getting on and off the roads, but it's up on this hill that keeps it out of the noise. My stay was good, mainly, because the room was exactly as I expected- clean and consistent and welcoming to my dog.
I would definitely recommend this Red Roof Inn to other travelers, particularly with pets, who are on a budget and need a clean affordable place to sleep where they'll smile at you when you check in, and welcome you back.

Room Tip: Join AAA, you get considerable discounts at Red Roof Inns.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank andogg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We were visiting near St. Clairsville, and needed a place to stay, but we had our pets with us, our options were slim, at the time there were only 3 hotels who accepted pets, and the other 2 looked like total rat traps, then we found the Red Roof Inn and it was a life savor, very nice experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hunter J
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback! I am very happy to know that you found our hotel clean and our staff so personable. I know how hard it is to find hotels that accept your four leg family members and we try our best to make them feel like they are at home. We look forward to welcoming you and your pet on your next visit to the area.

Minerva, Ohio
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stay at this hotel whenever I am in the area, I know I will get a good clean room, friendly helpfull staff, who for the most part go above and beyond to keep your stay enjoyable, Opal has especially done a great job to make me feel at home and since I am a woman alone working out of town it really means alot to have a place and people that make you feel safe and secure.
My last stay was not quite as good as normal there is a younger girl named Paige working there and she was very unprofessional, she seemed to be in and out of the hotel alot even when not on duty, but the rest of my stay was great I will stay there whenever I am in the St Clairsville area.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the back side of the hotel, the bottom floor, it quieter and a little darker in...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you so much for sharing! It is a pleasure to know that you are a repeat guest and that we have been able to provide you a clean room and exceptional service from Opal. With that said, great service depends on all of the staff members willing to give their very best at all times. I will assure you that I will have a talk to our newest member of our front desk and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the area.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great choice for a stopover in St. Clairsville.
We just needed a place to stay for the night while traveling and this place fit the bill.
Rooms were warm and clean, with comfortable double beds and a fridge and microwave.
I tried to find something gross in my room without success. Linens are clean, fresh, and white.
A no frills hotel that is well kept and in good shape. The staff obviously puts forth the effort here to keep this place nice.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
It is great to hear that you have had such a positive experience at our location. We take pride in ensuring that we offer spotless rooms to our guest. I will be sure to share your feedback with my staff and I hope we can continue to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed here for one night- the hotel is located near several chain retaurants so there's plenty to choose from in terms of food. The room was clean, the only problem we had was a blinking light in the bathroom but it was fixed quickly. Kind of an expensive room for what you get. Esp with no breakfast

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience! I am glad to know that you found the room to be clean and the issue that you had with blinking light was resolved in a timely fashion. I understand your concern over the price of the room but in comparison with others in our market we are still a good value. Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inns, Inc.

Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This Red Roof is the cleanest i have ever seen. Comfortable beds and clean bathroom. Again no charge for pets. The staff was friendly and helpful. Kathy and Opal were great. The rooms were very quiet for such a busy place surrounded by stores and restaurants. You will never have to look for a store or place to eat when staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: The only problem with this hotel for pets is that there is not a better grassy area to walk pets. I...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue S
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very glad to know that you found our hotel very convenient, pet-friendly and clean. I hope we can welcome you back soon!!

Have a nice day.

General Manager.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed 2 nights while visiting family. We usually board our dog, but, decided to bring her with us this time because of the excellent reviews of this property. We were very disappointed. We found the room very small, dark and dingy. The air conditioner was loud and had a very musty smell. I feel that the $85 discounted price for this room was absolutely too much to pay for this motel. I will not return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your recent experience. Our area sells our out nearly everyday due to the gas/oil boom and all of the workers that are in our market. While our rates are more than we typically charge, in comparison with other hotels/motels in our area, we are still a good value. I am truly sorry that we were not able to provide you with an experience that would encourage a return visit. I hope that you will not be dissuaded from staying at Red Roof Inn's altogether and will allow us one more chance to show you how great of a hotel we can be.