“Money For Nothing”

Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Detroit, Michigan
“Money For Nothing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked this online - sight unseen - based on location, price, some decent reviews and the need for a place to stay at the last minute.. It was booked online, the day of the reservation and after the deadline for canceling the booking. Big mistake. My family showed up, and went into the room with the manager. My 10-year old daughter took one look at the room and said "I'm not staying here". My wife didn't want to look in the bed for bedbugs in case we got charged for the room. She may as well have done because we got charged for it anyway. They went down the street and found another place to stay.
It's not like the place was fully booked, there was only one other car in the parking lot.

I requested a refund, The credit card company took up the dispute with The Econo Lodge and Hotels.com but alas, they stuck to the rules and wouldn't refund the cost of the room.
So my advise, don't set foot anywhere near this place, and don't expect anything like goodwill or attempts to maintain a decent reputation from these companies.
I fully admit that, based on the cancellation policy, I have no right to a refund but these people are liars. It was written up as a no-show and explained as such to the credit card company.
Buyer beware. Unless you know what you are getting, don't pay for it.
Our rating. Zero stars.

Room Tip: You have to be kidding.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Trevor F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

All I needed for 2 nights was a clean place to rest while I attended a reunion of old area friends. Since I was there in August, Cedar Point was in full operating season and hotel prices were high; however, Econo Lodge was a great value and fit my minimal needs perfectly. Rooms are a bit dated and worn out, but my room was very clean and well taken care of. Beds are hard and linens are rather worn, but they are clean and serve their purpose. Towels and basic bathroom amenities are provided, including a hair dryer. The TV was rather old and the picture was sometimes fuzzy, but it had full local cable.

The front desk isn't staffed all night, but the manager stays above the office. One call to his room was all it took when I locked myself out at 3 am. He was quick to come downstairs and got me back into my room in under 10 minutes. This same manager was the only staff I ever came into contact with, but he was very friendly and accommodating.

I rated Econo Lodge "very good" because for the class of hotel, it is very good. Clean and budget friendly is all I asked for and that's what I got!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

I stayed here with family in June 2011 for 2 nights. We used Choice Hotel points for the hotel with the purpose of visiting Cedar Point and Soak City. Staff was friendly, room was okay. Beds were extremely hard, but it was still a bed and a place to rest after a long day!!
When we checked into the room, we noticed there was a stain that appeared to be blood on the inside of the lampshade, they immediately came and changed it. Other than that, the room was okay, outdated but overall clean. No coffee makers in the room tho!!!
Would stay again if doing Cedar Point but would not stay if planning on spending lots of time at the hotel. Did not use the pool but it was very small, breakfast was minimal but did the job.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

The Econo Lodge Cedar Point South was an excellent value & very close to Cedar Point. Very small motel was quiet & comfortable but office is not open 24 hours. Staff was very friendly & helpful. Maid did an excellent job of cleaning the room. Breakfast was limited & items had to be taken back to the room to be consumed but items were individually wrapped, fresh & tasty. A tray would be a nice touch to carry items for your family back to the room but is probably not done so you don't overindulge & exhaust their limited supply. No in-room coffee but daily paper on the door was a nice touch. One ice machine but it kept up with demand. Only one pop machine & it was out of order. No candy machine but Mexican restaurant in the parking lot & Friendly’s right next door. Outdoor pool was clean but didn't care for the additional remote cleaning pump in the way. Mattress was worn & needed replacement. Bathroom recently remodeled with separate sink & high ceilings/shower head. Cable with full line of channels though some not as clear as to be expected. Overall an excellent value for what we paid & was clean, comfortable & a close place to crash after being at the park all day.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Munster, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

This motel was OLD but clean. My husband and I with two young children stood here for two nights for a trip to Cedar Point. The beds were unconfortable but you get what you paid for. I must say that the personnel were very accomodating and friendly. We originally were booked for three nights but they let us cancel without penalties for the 3rd night! Very Nice! This motel is in a great location where food and groceries were readily available. I would recommend it for a family on a budget.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mama2purplemonkees
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

We arrived at 8am, which is before our check-in time. The owner let us check in right then, no questions asked. The breakfast consisted of bagels, donuts, muffins, coffee, orange juice, nothing fancy, but it was breakfast. We were there to go to cedar point, not stay in the hotel room. It was an average room, not dirty, quiet.

• Stayed June 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

The location was great, my husband and I didn't care about walking distance to Cedar point, but to the Thirsty Pony for dinner and a few drinks. Minus the staff burping mid sentence they were pleasant for the 5 seconds we interacted. The "non-smoking" room smelled like 5 year old nicotine. Still, not terribly dirty, but not great. The company around us was a tad trashy - heard two guys fighting at 2:00 AM loud enough to wake us up and there were some interesting looking women when going to grab a pop and water out of the machine. Would we stay there again...eh...probably not.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels