“A great family weekend in February”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Aurora, Ohio
“A great family weekend in February”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Having two young daughters, my wife and I have visited this hotel twice as a family. Our children have loved the indoor water-park and the arcade, and we have enjoyed the convenience of being in one location for a winter weekend away. The water-park is well-suited to young children who aren't fans of deep water. No wave pool or kamikaze water slides here, but great water novelties and plenty of diversions to keep kids hopping from one place to the next. Having an adult-only hot tub provides a small escape for parents. The rooms are nicely furnished but not elegant or spotless. Our non-smoking room had a distinct smoking odor when we first walked in. The fireplace for which we paid extra was truly under-whelming and unnecessary even on a cold day. Wall heating unit turning on & off was hard to ignore. Despite all this, the staff are very friendly and customer-focused.

Room Tip: We didn't experience any significant noise at night because the hotel encourages quiet hours aft...
1 Thank D_Shipe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We traveled to the Great Wolf Lodge on February 12th and 13th - my husband and I and kids (ages 10 & 9). We stayed in a Kid's Cabin Suite and it was very spacious. My kids thoroughly enjoyed the water park and staying in their "own" cabin. The restaurants inside the Lodge can be a little pricey, but thankfully the area nearby is full of places to grab a bite to eat. My biggest complaint is that the hallway from the water park area to our room (on the 1st floor) was FREEZING cold. Overall it was a really nice way to spend the weekend!

Room Tip: First floor hallway is cold in the winter. Second floor was considerably warmer.
2 Thank travel05_10
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just got back from a President's day wknd trip here. We stayed in a Kids Cabin suite with my 6 year old and 19 month old. The room was pretty good--the cabin had a bunk bed, which my older child loved, and the space was large enough for our pack and play. We hung blankets over the doorway and the kids slept great. Our bed was not that great, but serviceable. The pillows are like rocks, and the tv was pretty old. And the room was really clean--more so than most places I've been to! But we spent most of our day in the waterpark, which was awesome--tons for both kids to do, it was very clean, and seemed very safe, even though it was pretty crowded. Overall--the room and the park--were a very good experience.

The only negative was the food service--people who have been here before have figured it out: don't bother!! We tried to get lunch at a nearly empty Gitchigoomee grill at 1pm on Saturday, and it took 35 minutes for us to get a burned hamburger (cold), overcooked hotdog, and cold french fries. The "nachos" were chips with lettuce and velveeta on them. We had dinner at the other restaurant and experienced better service, but also terrible food. Luckily, there are tons of restaurants around the lodge, so don't even bother with the awful service, and overpriced, terrible food.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor to reduce noise; views are uninspiring, but ask for one facing north if you c...
1 Thank michiganmomoftwo
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I, a middle child of five, went to Great Wolf Lodge with my whole family, my parents and my three sisters and one brother. This experience was worth having! This hotel has an amazing water park, fun for all ages (from my little brother and sister age 12 to my oldest sister who’s 20). After a fun day at the water park, going down the slides or relaxing in the lazy river, you can take your relaxation to the next level by soaking yourself in a hot tub. And if you’re a big manly man, like me or my little brother, you can go to their work out facility and pump some iron. After all this you’re probably like my family and want to go back to a nice room with comfy beds and a tv, which you can! Bring your own board game and make it a family game night like my family did! Nothing compares to sitting down and screaming and laughing and having a good time with your family. The Great Wolf Lodge has a great environment and really allowed my family to bond and just get closer and made it feel like a time before two of my sisters were away at college all the time.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank garrett f
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We traveled to the Great Wolf Lodge the weekend after Thanksgiving with family - including 5 children. This was great place to stay and kept my 2 1/2 year old occupied and entertained. The room was spacious and what we've come to expect at a Great Wolf Lodge. We were able to park close to our room (or at least to the closest entrance of the building) and check-in time was speedy and friendly. What I love about staying at the lodges is the friendliness of the staff and even the other guests. Everyone is there to go to the waterpark and have fun with their families. Playing in the zero depth pool with my daughter we made adult and child friends very easily and the waterpark staff was attentive and very professional. This location is a little more urban than our previos lodge in the Poconos, but food options outside the hotel are very convenient and numerous. We visited in November when the outdoor attractions of Sandusky are pretty much shut down, but this was a great escape in the middle of late fall.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 7 February 2012

For the second winter in a row my family visited this Great Wolf Lodge. We had a wonderful time! We stayed in the Royal Bear Suite so that we could have a bedroom for the kids to go to sleep while the adults stayed up a bit longer. The room was very clean, as was the rest of the hotel. We found the pool area clean and the lifeguards to be very friendly and vigilant. My children are young so the amount and type of waterslides were more than enough for them. The hotel is located in a great area. There is a large store right across the parking lot which was great if we needed something and there were lots of restaurants nearby. This was a very enjoyable winter getaway and we plan on returning next year.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Went there on Christmas Eve and checked out on Christmas day. Was quite and we loved it. Check in was quick and we were given a ground floor room. If we had known that the people above us would be jumping like crazy until 11 pm we would have asked for the top floor. Also the beds being very uncomfortable it did not help to sleep.
The kids couldn’t wait to hit the water park so we spent the next 4 hours after we checked in. The water park is small compared to the ones we were used to at Niagara Falls. The story telling, decoration, wolf walk, kids club, arcade etc all were fun for the kids. The next day being Christmas was a little busier. If it hadn’t been for 2 incidents on that day I would have had more fun. While going down one of the slides I hit a lady in the stomach who was standing at the other end of the slide. Apparently she was told by a worker that her kid was coming down and she was waiting to grab her kid and behold it was me who showed up kicking the crapp out of her. I hope she complained to the management as it must have hurt her. The other incident occurred when my 4 year old son was coming down the slide and without waiting for a go-ahead from the staff at the end of the slide another patron was sent down the slide and my son got a hard kick in the head. My son had a bump on his head and needed medical examination to see if had a concussion. This just ruined our afternoon and after keeping an eye on my son for any head injury symptoms we left for Cleveland.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room to get a good night sleep.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ScarboroughMirror
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
1.5 km away
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#5 of 35 in Sandusky
8.0 km away
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!