“Great resort for children and teens” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great resort for children and teens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

This spring break my family spent 3 days at Kalahari. It was great. The teens could go off on their own and I felt that they were totally safe. They had a great time and are looking forward to coming back next year. The ability to charge food and drinks to your room was also a big help. The kids didn't need to worry about carrying around money.The resort is very clean and the food is reasonably priced.The temperature inside was perfect in and out of the water. It was a great getaway. Thanks Kalahari.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Such a wonderful review! Thank you! So very glad everyone enjoyed their spring break vacation. It was our pleasure to have you! Looking forward to seeing you again. Take care!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I made reservations in February 2012 for our April 2012 vacation. It was my son's birthday, so I wanted to add something special. In addition to our room, I added on a birthday package, which they PROMISED would be in the room when we opened the door. I gave my son the room key for him to be the first to enter the room, needless to say, NO BIRTHDAY PACKAGE. I was so upset. I called, they apologized and offered to give it to us free. The package came with a free pizza and 4 sodas/pops. I called at 4pm to order the pizza, they told me 30-40 minutes for delivery. I said fine, that would give us time to change into our swim wear. By 5pm the pizza had not arrived. I called to status; they said they were running behind, apologized, would be up within 10 minutes. By 5:30 no pizza. Kids are hungry and anxious. I called again for the pizza and received the most rude service; we sent your pizza to another room, just realized it when you called. Told me they will fix another one and have it up within 45 MORE minutes. Unacceptable. I was livid. The man even hung up on me. The hotel Manager gave us free vouchers to eat at the hotel resturant. That was nice, but getting to this point was HORRIBLE. IF you are adding on a special package that really is important for someone in your party, please make sure they follow through on their end. Also, forget requesting early checkin; I requested that in February when I made the reservations, was even guranteed, got here at 11:30....could NOT check in until 3:45. NOT HAPPY AT ALL. Long day for the kids I swear.....and myself.

Room Tip: Recommend the second level for rooms, everything is accessible. Don't have to worry about the el...
2 Thank Ms_PHD2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. As I believe we have already connected on Twitter, our Guest Service Manager, Su and her Manager Connie have or will be in contact with you very soon. I apologize that your stay has not been up to your expectations, but I do want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to have you visit. Take care and I am sure I will talk to you more soon. Thanks!
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

very large indoors outdoors water park. for all ages with lost to do. go earlier or stay later to avoid the long lines. some worker were like zombies maybe they could use more help. The food and drinks are very expensive for the amount you pay to saty there. Food was good. the time we went the outdoors was not open but if it was then there would be many many more thing to do for all ages.the towels are very small and ruff so maybe bring your own. we would like to go in the summer time so we could us the outside part. also a very cool HUGE arcade area for kids and adults bowling, neon putt putt golf. Something for everyone

Room Tip: stay in the wing right off the water park if not you have a wrather long walk to the indoors water p...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Very excited to have you come back in the summer. The Safari Outdoor Adventure Park is a big hit! Thank you for visiting and reviewing our resort. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We went with another family but could not get adjoining rooms. The registration process was slow -- long wait in line. The hotel was clean and comfortable. We had a "hut room" which included a nice little patio overlooking the outdoor park. The indoor water park was crowded and noisy and a few things were broken down, but overall it was a positive experience. We ate at the Reserve and it was very nice. They have a lot of fun activities for the kiddies. It was a bit pricey but we were there at a peak time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
It was our pleasure to have you and we thank you for taking the time to review our resort! Looking forward to having you back again soon! Take care.
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Our family (2 married with kids, 1 son and his girlfriend) spent a fun filled weekend at kalahari enjoying the indoor water park while it snowed outside. The water park has something for everyone including our toddler grandchildren. The park was very crowded but we never had a problem finding a spot to park our gear. The adults enjoyed the wave pool and everyone liked the lazy river. There were plenty of life guards around who seemed to be very watchful.

Food at the restaurants and in the water park was not anything special and very pricey. Tables in the water park were scarce during lunch and many were clearly not being used for dining.

Our accommodations were spacious and comfortable. We had 3 adjoining rooms (hut and lodge). The center room consisted of a bedroom, bath, fully equipped kitchen and living room with a fireplace. 2 bedrooms with baths were on each side. Since we had young children with us we brought breakfast foods, snacks and dinner for 1 night with us. This worked well for us as the kitchen had everything we needed including a full size refrigerator and dishwasher. Our rooms were quite a distance from the park but walk able.

Kalahari is not a luxury resort but prices itself in that category. It is family friendly, a little worn (not surprising considering how many people visit), with plenty of activities for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Glad to hear you enjoyed the Waterpark and the rooms! One of the best things about Kalahari is how great it is for guests of all ages. So very happy that worked well for all of your family. Hopefully you will be able to return this summer and check out our Safari Outdoor Adventure Park. Thank you again for visiting us and taking the time to review our resort! Hope to see you again so soon.
Shaker Heights, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We visited Kalahari at the end of March, 2012. We stayed one night-six people.

Upon arrival, they upgraded us to one of their suites. The upgrade was nice, but we spent little time in the room to enjoy it.

Kalahari is a get what you pay for kind of place. The water park attractions are nice, but the wait times for the slides are generally significant. We waited more than 40 minutes for most of the interesting rides during a weekday stay. Once on, the ride times are very short--owing to the limited elevation available for the slides.

Why Kalahari gets only an average rating from me is because of its management of arguably the best water ride in the park--the wave runner. The park features two of these rides. This ride is clearly one of the main attractions at the park and is featured in many of the resort's advertisements. However, on both our arrival and departure day, the resort operated only one of the two available wave runners for substantial portions of the day. Once you are on the ride, your time is limited to 60 seconds. Yet, the staff running the ride took between 30 seconds to 90 seconds to cycle people through the ride. Accordingly, a waiting line of twenty riders means 30 to 50 minutes to get on the ride. There is simply no reasonable explanation for featuring these rides in advertising and then not running both of them (assuming they are operational).

Kalahari is being cheap by not running the rides that they have available. That is the most visible corner that the resort cuts--if the resort is willing to cut that corner in the open, it is surely cutting other corners in other ways.

Also, beware that Kalahari forces you to walk you and your children through its plethora of pay to play electronic games and arcade in order to enter the water park. No matter how good the water park is, your kids are sure to demand that you drop a fair amount of $$$ in these games, too.

If you are looking for some indoor water fun, the park is the largest in the area. But, the advantage they have at being the largest is lost because they are not committed to operating all of the rides all of the time.

Because the resort and water park are not committed to maximizing the enjoyment of their guests, they get only an average rating from me.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TJ_Shaker
Thank you for coming to visit us and taking the time to write this review. I have relayed your comments to our Waterpark Director for review. I apologize we did not go above and beyond your expectations! We strive to do so, so I am discouraged to hear about your experience. However, we very much appreciate your comments so that we can pinpoint what areas of improvement should be focused on. Thank you again for reaching out to us and do hope you will give Kalahari another try, so we can show you just how great we can be. Take care and hope to see you again soon.
Rochester, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I just came back from a two night stay at the Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky Ohio. I visited with my husband, four grandsons (ages 12 to 6), daughter and son-in-law. We have visited numerous waterparks over the years including three Great Wolf Lodges, Castaway Bay at Cedar Point and several smaller water parks in Michigan. Kalahari is the largest, and in my opinion the best. We stayed in an African Queen Suite. I had considered staying in one of the larger Combination Suites but chose the African Queen because it was in the main lodge and, thus, closer to the waterpark itself. My main concern with the African Queen Suite was that it has only 1-1/2 baths rather than two. However, the half-bath has a shower so it worked out fine. The suite was clean and well-maintained, unlike some of the other water parks we have visited. We ate all our meals at the resort. I had originally thought we might go into Sandusky for dinners, but there is so much to do at the resort, even when the outdoor sections are closed, that we chose to stay in to eat. The food at the restaurants was good enough, but the service was not great. The restaurant personnel were all very nice, but it seemed as if the restaurants were under-staffed. One evening we waited an hour to get our food and then several of the entrees were cold. For the full-day we were at the resort, we rented a cabana near the wave pool. If you are interested in renting a cabana, you must do this in advance. All were rented at the time of our visit. The cabana cost approximately $300, but we think it was well worth the money. One of the reasons we rented the cabana is my husband hates to have to "stalk" the chairs and tables for a place to "set-up" for the day. The cabanas have televisions and WiFi service. The cabanas also provide a pager for restaurant servers to take your beverage and food orders so one doesn't have to wait in line. All in all, it was a great weekend getaway, and my grandsons really enjoyed themselves. That is all I really care about!

3 Thank GrandmaAudrey
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
So very happy to hear your family had a blast! Thank you for visiting us! It is truly our pleasure! I will be sure to let our Food & Beverage Director hear your comments as well. We are looking forward to having you and your family again! Take care and see you soon!